AVIC411.com

Entering Windows Failure

Hi everyone, I downloaded the necessary files to enter Windows mode from the following post. I get to the copying files part and I can see the start button and taskbar, but no matter what I do (click OK, click X, minimize, show desktop, etc) The background turns green and becomes completely unresponsive. Any ideas as to what I could be doing wrong?

seeing as how the second update did not have these folders to allow access to CE, can you zip them up for me and post them as an attachment? I would love to be able to go into there and start poking around and see what can and cant be changed. I love a challenge and this HU would definatly need some improvement..

Here ya go!

• [*:3fp3963q]Put these 2 folders on the root of an SD card
    [*:3fp3963q]Insert the card in the AVIC with power off
    [*:3fp3963q]Turn on the power and let it boot
    [*:3fp3963q]It will copy a few files. These should be the same as on the current update
    [*:3fp3963q]Close the "OK screen to see the WinCE desktop. Since the close button is in the top corner, I find it's easier to drag the screen down and to the left (use the bar at the top like a normal window). A stylus works best for navigating the screen.
    [*:3fp3963q]Have fun!... :wink:

-Eric

http://avic411.com/forum/download.php?id=4529

P.S. Don't blame me if you brick your unit... :P

I just tried again and was able to get access to the CE environment. I used the TestMode file from this post. Copy it to the root of your SD, pop it in and turn on the headunit. After a few seconds it will boot to Windows, show a dialogue about copying some files, and then you can close the window. I found it helped immensely to use a stylus as fingers don't work so well.

Let us know what you're trying to do with your contacts, and how far you get.

I suggest when using / going into windows mode, use the stylus that came with the unit. The touchscreen IMHO is not that accurate and fingertips are close-enough for the larger buttons of normal operation, but in windows on the small screen it's hard to hit some of the things you're aiming for. I'm using the stylus, and I've done a screen calibration, and I still find it hard to hit the right things. Today I had that 'green screen' come up, but I noticed it happened when I missed the 'X and hit something else. Maybe this isn't the problem you're having, but my solution was to try again, and be more accurate with the stylus.

Good luck!

Hi everyone, thanks for the input thus far.

I have been using the stylus as my fingers are too big to hit the buttons in windows mode. But the same result. I have tried double clicking the close/OK buttons. I have even tried multiple formats for the SD card FAT/FAT32.

The only thing I haven't tried is jascias' suggestion. I'll give that a shot tonight.

Skicrave, I wanted to edit the phonebookxxxx.db file to fix my contacts. From reading this forum I see Stephanie beat me to it this morning. LOL.

If this fails again, I may have to take a video of it just to show you guys I'm not nuts.

The ironic part of all this is that I'm a network admin. I spend all day in Active Directory, Exchange Server, SQL Server, ISA Server and maintain about 250 workstations. But this navigation system wont let me into windows. :roll:

Jascias you are the man!

That did it. I can drag the copy box out of the way and access the desktop. The copy box refuses to close but as long as it's not keeping focus i'm happy.

Boy you guys weren't kidding when you said the touch screen is inaccurate. I'll have to calibrate it later.

Thanks everyone...

• 2 weeks later...