AVIC411.com

battery issues

im having issues with my battery, every time i sit with the engine off, & run just battery, the truck wont start after about 3-4 mins of just runnin on battery......i dont even have to be pumpin the music ( no music just playin with avic )

all i have is a 300/4 amp runnin on 2 gauge wire, & avic z2 & a few other accessories but nothin heavy ....i dont know if it is the battery ( factory battery) or if the gauge of the wire is to thick.

any suggestions would be great.....

what is the best brand of battery for this situation???

is it even possible to have too thick of a wire that would do damage? and did you just install the system recently or this problem started randomly?

systems draw alot of power so its no surprise that you are draining.....but 3-4 minutes is a little extreme, you might need a more powerful battery, especially if the battery is old

as for brands, i dont know exactly, but online brand name that keeps comin up is kinetic, so maybe thats a good brand for it.

sounds like your factory battery is goin out. in my f150 i was able to run my alpine v12 4 channel and rockford 1000bd amp, with my d2 for about 2 hours with the truck off. also i had a 2 awg wire running off the battery split to 2 4 awg wires to each amp.

also be sure to check the grounds and cables. corrosion inside the wire will cause voltage issues...so will a bad ground.

thanks for replys ......yeah, the battery was brand new in 2006 but it has gone dead and jumped so many times, that might have effected it......i have it grounded right to the steel frame.....a little corrosion on the outside of ground loop, but not inside of connection,

yeah it seems like its getting progressively worse......

i heard Optima is pretty good, anybody had this brand??

yeah, having the battery die many times would kill the cells in it.

optima are good batteries. theyre pricey though. most people i know have had so so luck with them. my friend had to go through 3 of them before he found one that was good. he just kept warrantying them.

i would go with the red top unless you sit for long periods of time with the truck off and the radio on. the yellow top is a deep cycle one, where the red top is a starting battery.

What you are looking for is "reserve capacity." The higher number the better for this purpose.

If you pick the battery with the greatest reserve capacity to fit your vehicle, it should also have more than enough cranking capacity (as in cranking amps or cold cranking amps) to start the vehicle. But, the highest cranking capacity battery for your car may NOT have the highest reserve capacity.

thx for all replys

yeah i took it down to the local autozone, they put there little tester deal on it...... i guess the tester puts a heavy load on the battery, and if its bad the voltage will drop, mine stayed strong, the tech said it was fine...... but sometimes a kid in elementary school can give u more accurate info........

and i havent run just on battery for a few weeks now (dont feel like getting a jump for the 10th time).....

im gonna try it out @ home 1 more time, before i go buy a new one.

do u know which batterys have the best reserve capacity, and cranking amps i have a tundra with v8

I had a problem with my battery about 2 yrs. ago.I took it to Auto Advance and it tested good.I asked was the tester reliable and he said yes.My battery would start one day and not the next.The guy who tested my battery said it was not my battery.I told him to give me a new one anyway.I haven't had a problem since.It was my battery.

thx for all replys

yeah i took it down to the local autozone, they put there little tester deal on it...... i guess the tester puts a heavy load on the battery, and if its bad the voltage will drop, mine stayed strong, the tech said it was fine...... but sometimes a kid in elementary school can give u more accurate info........

you drove it there, so doesn't the altenator have an impact on the results? i mean it keeps the battery charged while youre driving so when you take it outta your vehicle wont it have a decent charge?

i have factory battery.....yeah it was charged.....from what ive read those testers aren't always accurate.....

i tried just battery again, about 5 mins into it the amp died because their is not enough voltage from battery.....

so im gonna probably buy a yellow top optima, unless i can find something as good that is cheaper....... from what i have read they are pretty reliable, so u pay for quality