AVIC411.com

Changing the fonts/colors thread-PICS

I've downloaded Stephanies files and have started to play around.

Why can't I edit/view/open so many of the bmps?

For example I can't open all the bmp's in DATA.zip/gfx

I've tried gimp and windows picture/fax viewer. Gimp says 'XXX.bmp is not a valid BMP file'

I am able to open some of the bmp's just not all of them.

I am extracting them to my desktop and then trying them.

I'm going to try to install the latest version of gimp.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

most of them that I've found myself and with the help of others are located in ui_pioneer/800_480 and in the image.res in the APL directory, and I've edited quite a bit of the .bmp's. Not all the .bmp's can be opened, nor are they all useful. Before going to the ends of the earth to open a certain .bmp file, I'd suggest trying those 2 directories and see if what you're looking for is actually in there.

The BMP files that you cannot open/view are compressed. You need to uncompress them in order to view or edit them.

There is a tool called MioMap BMP Tool (search the forums, there's a link to it somewhere).

With it, you can open and uncompress the BMP to work with it, and then recompress it when you're done.

Cheers!

Have you made any attempts at utilizing the supposed all software bypass for the parking brake? If so, is it already in your data.zip file?

I have not. That was discovered after I made my changes and I actually have not made any new changes to my unit since I posted my data.zip file since I have been fairly busy at work. Even if I add the line for the software bypass I really will not know if it works because I have done the hardware bypass.

Well, i just used winrar and edited the proper line in Vorian's zip. It took about 3 seconds. I haven't succesfully loaded the zip into my F500BT yet, but it shouldn't take long. I just need to actually tear my dash apart to ground that stupid parking break wire.

My educated guess is that grounding the parking break wire allows you to operate all the grayed out functions when the GPS unit is not telling "itself" that you are moving. The software mod simply ups the unit from a 16KPH threshhold to a higher value that trips the threshold for deactivating certain GPS and system functions. Both these together allow you to bypass these safety features.

Again, just a guess.

I have a new question for Vorian, or someone smarter than I on these data.zip hacks:

Can you add a small touchscreen button that turns off the screen on both the navigation view and the ipod view? You can turn the screen off by going to the settings->system settings and then in the lower right there is an option for turning the screen off. To turn it back on, you simply tap the touchscreen anywhere (you all probably know this). I just think it would be convenient to have this option available in more places. During long trips at night, it's better for my vision to have the screen off more than on! I saw how you added a touch screen button to cancel your navigation route, so I figure that it might be possible to add other features as well.

Thanks for your time,

Eric

Well, i just used winrar and edited the proper line in Vorian's zip. It took about 3 seconds. I haven't succesfully loaded the zip into my F500BT yet, but it shouldn't take long. I just need to actually tear my dash apart to ground that stupid parking break wire.

My educated guess is that grounding the parking break wire allows you to operate all the grayed out functions when the GPS unit is not telling "itself" that you are moving. The software mod simply ups the unit from a 16KPH threshhold to a higher value that trips the threshold for deactivating certain GPS and system functions. Both these together allow you to bypass these safety features.

Again, just a guess.

I hope your guess is correct. Do you mind emailing me Vorians zip file with the software bypass? Email it to SSaul27 at gmail dot com. I have easy access to the parking brake wire and can confirm if it does indeed work, saves you the hassle of ripping your dash apart. I know the software bypass alone will not work, I have to lightly depress the brake to activate the grayed out areas.

What was your process to edit the zip file? You didn't do any sort of uncompressing and recompressing did you? Which line did you actually edit? You said you succesfully have grounded your parking wire, or that you actually have connecting the parking sense wire to the parking break indicator wire in your vehicle?

-e

PS - we may be getting a little off topic for this thread, if so, I apologize.

Okay, lots of q's to answer here...

What was your process to edit the zip files?

I went to Vorians data.zip opened up the project_config folder and changed this,

[pioneer]

parking_break_speed=16.0

hide_logos=1

to this

[pioneer]

parking_break_speed=216.0

hide_logos=1

then I saved it onto my desktop and transfered the file to the folder where I had changed it intially "project_config". It asked me it would replace the same file and I clicked "yes", and voila! it successfully changed it.

You didnt do any sort of uncompressing and recompressing did you?

I dont think so. I know it was done correctly b/c with the speed limit change I could now access the grayed out navigation settings only when I lightly engaged the parking brake, this is while driving. Before the mod, lightly touching on the parking brake would do nothing while I was driving. And yes this is with the parking brake wire from the unit wired to the parking brake wire of my car.

Which line did you actually edit?

See above post

Dont know what your asking in the last question, its very hard to read. :?

This is my setup:

Before the software bypass I had my parking brake wire from the unit connected to the parking brake wire of my car, (this is how its supposed to be installed). After I found about this software bypass I tried the bypass on my unit with the parking brake wire connected. Well that didnt work. Then I was told the software bypass only works if the unit's parking brake wire is grounded. Sooo....I tried this too and it didnt work. Hope that answers your question.

[/b]

if you still have doubts, I think you should attempt it as well. Then if yours doesnt work we can be certain the software bypass only works for the other units. However, I am pretty sure I did everything correctly and that it will not work on the 500BT. :D

I'd double check that the parking brake wire is properly grounded. If the software bypass works if you engage the parking brake slightly, then it should work when the parking brake wire is grounded. Having the parking brake engaged slightly just grounds the line.

When you ground the parking brake wire, tie it to the negative / black wire that grounds the nav unit. Use a continuity tester or DMM to verify that it is truly grounded.

When you ground the parking brake wire, tie it to the negative / black wire that grounds the nav unit. Use a continuity tester or DMM to verify that it is truly grounded.

The avic 500bt does not have a ground wire. Uhhh...I dont know what a continuity tester or DMM is. I do have a volt meter?

Skicrave do you mean to disconnect the parking brake wire from the car or disconnect the parking brake wire from the unit and ground that? Just want to clarify.