AVIC411.com

Guide to .bmp files inside the Flash Disk

After quite a bit of searching around in the 800_480\ Directory, I came across a good amount of interesting .bmp files. Some of these files are the icons for menus and different sources, some are random, but with this starting list, and with Stephanie's groundbreaking hacks, my intention is to hopefully set up a spot where all members can create their own custom skins for their unit, and share them with others, and make ths unit even more customizable. Here is what I found:

all in the 800_480\ folder (these are not links to images, simply the file names)

The Following are icons:

746_32K_MN_663_32b = Address Book

746_32K_MN_664_32b = P.O.I.'s

746_32K_MN_665_32b = Favorites

746_32K_MN_666_32b = History

746_32K_MN_667_32b = SD Card

746_32K_MN_668_32b = Delete Route

746_32K_MN_669_32b = Some Globe Icon

746_32K_MN_670_32b = Map w/ A Magnifying Glass

746_32K_MN_671_32b = Return Home

746_32K_MN_730_32b = GPS & Time Settings

746_32K_MN_733_32b = Visual

746_32K_MN_736_32b = Route

746_32K_MN_739_32b = Warnings

746_32K_MN_742_32b = Region & Time Settings

746_32K_MN_745_32b = Circular 'R' Icon

746_32K_MN_748_32b = Return Home

746_32K_MN_751_32b = Might be Demo Mode

746_32K_MN_800_32b = MSN Gas Prices

746_32K_MN_803_32b = MSN Movie Times

746_32K_MN_806_32b = MSN Forecast

746_32K_MN_809_32b = MSN Traffic

The Following Are Upper Left icons for whatever menu you're in:

746_32K_MN_663_32b = Upper Left Route

746_32K_MN_663_32b = UL Settings

746_32K_MN_663_32b = UL Address

746_32K_MN_663_32b = UL P.O.I.

746_32K_MN_663_32b = UL Favorites

746_32K_MN_663_32b = UL History

746_32K_MN_663_32b = UL SD Card

746_32K_MN_663_32b = UL Set Home?

746_32K_MN_663_32b = UL Globe Thingy

746_32K_MN_663_32b = UL Map w/ Magnifying Glass

746_32K_MN_663_32b = UL MSN Butterfly

The Following are Miscellanious files that can be use to some members:

746_32K_OM_011_32b = 2D Map Button

746_32K_OM_012_32b = 3D Map Button

746_32K_OM_013_32b = Map Info Button

746_32K_OM_018_32b = Red Dot Button

746_32K_OM_019_32b = Green Dot Button

746_32K_OM_032_32b = View Adjustment Grid

746_32K_OM_033_32b = View Adjust Up

746_32K_OM_034_32b = View Adjust Down

746_32K_OM_035_32b = View Adjust Left

746_32K_OM_036_32b = View Adjust Right

746_32K_OM_043_32b = Previous Screen Button

746_32K_OM_071_32b = Red Crosshair

746_32K_OM_100_32b = Map Compass

746_32K_OM_250_32b = iPod Button (Not iPod Icon)

If you look at any of the .bmp files, there will be a 3 picture column of the same icon.

picture #1 is the icon stationary

picture #2 is the icon when pressed

picture #3 is the icon when grayed out.

Also you'll notice I've only found about half of them...my guess is that the remaining ones are scattered throughout the rest of the flash disk in other directories. So if anybody wants to take a stab at this and try to make a custom skin, or if you'd like to pitch in to help find the rest of the icons and etc, It'd be much appreciated :D

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good work typing all that out - I'm too lazy for that much work ;)

I am pretty sure the '746' prefix is Pioneer's internal product or series number, but I'm not sure if that relates to the F-series, or something else. There are references to '749' in other files as well, although not the graphics. The '32K' is probably refering to the colour depth or something like that, although maybe that's what the '32b' refers to. 'MN' is for menus, 'OM' is for the map.

I believe these '746' files are either Pioneer-specific, or are at least used especially for the ui_pioneer theme. I say that because the directories are littered with other files that are similar but appearantly unused.

Also, most of the non-'746' files seem to be compressed BMP that you need a special tool to decompress. I've been looking for the graphics they use for the next-turn arrows, as I'd like to change them from bright green to bright blue, but I think they must be among the compressed files...

Nice work, hopefully this will be a good starting point to completely catalog the graphics used.

Have you seen anything for the actual contacts in the address book (the blobby outline of a person)? Let me know if you find where those are located, I'd like to update them based on the type of contact.

Thank you, I appreciate the care and concern :D

Just keep this thread alive, I think this is a good amount of information to further customize the unit

Half of the .bmp files in that directory could not be opened, because they probably need a special program to view them. If anybody has any information as to what program or how to view them, please share because I want to add to this guide so we all know what file is what.

TBH, while finding these things and writing them down, the main thing I was looking for was the loading message when you turn the unit on, because I would like to change the text inside the box. I found the Pioneer Copyrighted message and the Pioneer logo but no dice for the Loading one :(

Well, I'm back, and that was the quickest "couple days" of my life. Whatever...Doctor said I'm 100% recovered, so back to this..

Stephanie, Skicrave, while I was there I was thinking about this...isn't there other folders to go into besides the Flash Disk? I didn't see any icons for XM, Sirius, iPod, USB, HD, and half the settings. I think because those sources are not Pioneer owned they may not be in the Flash Disk Directory, but maybe the APL and APL2 directories... and if APL stands for application, it'd make a lot of sense. I'm going to copy the rest of those directories tomorrow, but what are your opinions on this theory?

Also Skicrave, i searched throughout the Flash Disk directory for those contact .bmp's but no to avail, which would also support my theory because they have to be somewhere.

All the XM graphics are in My Flash Drive\DATA\XM; there are four subdirectories with lots of XM stuff in them.

The APL directory contains a bunch of executables and dlls but nothing 'skinable'... I haven't found any other graphic files to mess with. Stuff in the APL directory include the AV.exe and mainmenu.exe and stuff like that - I think that's pretty much the rest of the applications.

Outside of the "My Flash Drive" there are some more directories, including Program Files (empty) and Windows. I tried copying the windows directory to my flash disk, and got partway through before it failed with an interesting error: "Cannot copy files from ROM". It could be that at least some of the OS is burned into ROM, where we can't mess with them (or at least not without physical disassembly and unsoldering..)

All the XM graphics are in My Flash Drive\DATA\XM; there are four subdirectories with lots of XM stuff in them.

Steph, I don't have an XM Directory. Am I blind or I don't have all the directories I need?

Also, Have you found any other icons that I haven't yet? I have an idea for a skin and I dont want to try changing it unless we have all the icons and their locations. Thanks!!

This isn't in the data.zip file, this is in a data directory right on the nav unit itself. The path I provided in my previous post is where I found literally hundreds of XM graphics / icons, distributed through 4 subdirectories.

I don't know if I've found 'all' the icons... There's so much junk floating around it's hard to say what's used and what isn't. Also, I don't use a lot of the functions so there's bound to be stuff that I've never seen on the nav unit, even if I have come across the files on the flash drive.

For one thing, I have not found the direction arrows... I really want to change them from light green to light blue, but can't figure out where they are saved. I also have not seen anything resembling 'skins' or graphics, for the AV side of things, or the top menu.

Edited to add: By the way, you can download a tool here that lets you uncompress and recompress the compressed BMP files in there.

This isn't in the data.zip file, this is in a data directory right on the nav unit itself. The path I provided in my previous post is where I found literally hundreds of XM graphics / icons, distributed through 4 subdirectories.

I don't know if I've found 'all' the icons... There's so much junk floating around it's hard to say what's used and what isn't. Also, I don't use a lot of the functions so there's bound to be stuff that I've never seen on the nav unit, even if I have come across the files on the flash drive.

For one thing, I have not found the direction arrows... I really want to change them from light green to light blue, but can't figure out where they are saved. I also have not seen anything resembling 'skins' or graphics, for the AV side of things, or the top menu.

Edited to add: By the way, you can download a tool here that lets you uncompress and recompress the compressed BMP files in there.

Have you copied the entire contents from the flash drive to an SD card for perusal on the Mac, or are you perusing on the AVIC itself? I have a 16GB SD card and if it can fit I would rather copy all the contents onto it so I can browse it on my PC... How large is it?

Have you copied the entire contents from the flash drive to an SD card for perusal on the Mac, or are you perusing on the AVIC itself? I have a 16GB SD card and if it can fit I would rather copy all the contents onto it so I can browse it on my PC... How large is it?

The entire flash drive is about 1.64GB so it fits even on 2GB SD cards.

Yeah I have the whole thing on my computer That's how i found the images to change the VC skin.

So Stephanie this is what I realized the other day....all those icons I provided are the icons for destination and navi settings (also MSN), I cant find the AV source ones ANYWHERE, i went through every folder and checked every file.