AVIC411.com

AM tuner doesn't work at all...help?

EDIT: FM now works...AM is still all static.

When I first had it installed in my Mitsubishi Evo IX, it all worked.

A couple of months later I noticed that my tuner does not work at all...AM doesn't emit any sounds, FM has static on all stations.

I pulled the headunit out and checked the wiring, but it looked to be okay. For me, that means I checked to make sure everything was plugged in that looked like it needed to be plugged in. :roll:

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Also make sure you don't have a powered antenna. Lots of cars these days have powered antennas, not necessarily power to raise and lower the antenna, but an FM antenna needs to be huge (2.5 - 3 feet long, like the old "whip" antennas". When car companies use shorter ones, sometimes they use active electronics to enhance their functionality which require power. So they can still get decent AM/FM reception yet have a short/small sporty antenna.

I don't know about the specifics of your car, but it's a possibility if you don't have a 3 foot whip sticking up out of the fender.

ducatiboy: You're right, I don't have a long antenna...its about 2 feet long from the factory, and I replaced that one with a short antenna that's about 6 inches long. They just screw on and off.

Why am I making sure I don't have a powered antenna? Sorry, I didn't catch that from your post.

I'm off to pull it out now and make sure again that everythings hooked up...will take pictures and post them up. Be back in a few minutes.

BTW, I found a picture of the OEM antenna, and the shorty I have installed.

t_16754.jpg

Why am I making sure I don't have a powered antenna? Sorry, I didn't catch that from your post.

Sometimes when car companies use a short antenna, they will use active electronics to boost the antenna's reception.

Most radios have a legacy wire that will energize when you use the radio. This is normally used in older cars with antennas that retract and extend when the radio is on. So you turn on the radio and the antenna raises up out of the fender (or wherever). New cars with stubby antenna with active electronics use the power coming out of the radio which normally would be used to extend the antenna to power on the active electronics. These active electronics compensate for not having a huge whip antenna. And some cars, if that's not powered, you will get no radio reception.

It's a common problem if you have active electronics for your antenna.

It's a moot point now that you have FM working. Glad you got it hooked up. But in case someone else reads this.