AVIC411.com

Win CE boot files

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So let me make sure I understand this:

1) These files will allow me to boot the device directly into Windows CE

2) From there, I can copy the firmware (zip file) the device loads during each boot-up onto my SD card

3) I can then edit the firmware ZIP file loaded at startup by the unit on my system and change/replace the necessary files for the "hacks/mods"

4) I then copy the updated ZIP file back to the SD card, insert and restart the system.

5) The new ZIP file firmware will be copied to the device (with whatever cchanges I have made) and then used during each subsequent bootup

Is that about it in a nutshell?

How do I copy the new ZIP firmware file back to the unit once I have moded and placed back on the SD card?

Windows CE works more or less like Windows as far as copying and pasting. The only caveat here is no keyboard, no mouse, just a stylus and I haven't figured out how to right click.

Navigate to the file you want to copy: Select the folder (tap it once) you want to open, tap the "File" menu, tap "Open"

Copy the file you want: Select the file (tap it once), tap the "Edit" menu, tap "Copy".

Navigate to the folder where you want to put it.

Tap "Edit", tap "Paste". If you're replacing something that's already there, you'll get a warning about replacing an existing file, just tap 'Replace' or 'Ok' or whatever it says.

Cheers!

Hi, thanks for the files... reading some of the posts I totally agree about the potential of this unit... I can't seem to get into Windows CE though.

I have the folders on an SD card... stick it in the unit, turn on the ignition and I get an error message... unfortunately I was not able to take a photo to post or jot down what it said at the time...

Has anyone else had problems getting into test mode?

I have a European F900 unit... it was installed just a few days ago in a new car so I assume the firmware is up to date... and I'm using a Macbook to shuffle the files around...

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated... I need to sort out my contacts list!! At the moment it is a little like the lottery!

Thanks for the reply...

I've managed to boot into Windows CE successfully...

But I now seem to have another problem. The copy dialogue that appears fills the screen and I don't seem to be able to dismiss it or move it... the cross in the top right corner does not respond to stylus taps... and although I can see the start menu, if I try to launch explorer... I can only assume the window is opening behind the copy dialogue :( because, although it appears selected in the taskbar... I can only see the copy dialogue still

Am I doing something silly :oops::roll:

I'm wondering if it is a screen position/calibration problem... Am I meant to see the standard windows drop down menu bar at the top of the screen?

• 3 weeks later...