AVIC411.com

Fixing contacts makes voice dial by name work

Previously, like many of you I'm sure,

I could only voice dial by speaking the number I wished to dial.

On a whim I pulled the contacts db out of my F700 using the instructions found in Stephanies post here.

When I looked through I found that while the majority of the numbers were in the format: 1235551212 several were listed as (123) 555-1212.

I changed all of the (123) 555-1212 to the 1235551212 format, saved and uploaded to the avic and voila! Voice dialing by name now works like a charm.

Hopefully this helps someone besides myself.

For the record the original contact list was pulled from a 1st gen iPhone

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's definitely good to know, thanks for sharing. I would hazard a guess that deleting your contacts and reimporting them (after the firmware update) would also solve the problem. It sounds like Pioneer didn't account for how Apple stores contact numbers the first time around, but that they fixed that with the 1.017 firmware.

My voice dial by contact name wasn't working either, but I'd already put all my contacts' phone numbers in consistent 10-digit format with no dashes or special characters. Then, while staring at my phone database I realized I had several special characters in the contacts' name fields - such as dashes; "&" signs; etc. I removed all those and now voice dial by contact name is working again! Bottom line is, this is *VERY* sensitive voice recognition software that doesn't like anything at all except regular 'ol letters and numbers - take absolutely all other characters and signs out of both the name and number field and voice dialing by name should work for you.

So if I clean out my address book on the iPhone (or on the computer and then sync to the iPhone), can I make it work? Seems crazy that I have to do the edit in the Pioneer copy to make it work, then I'd just have to do it after the next time I sync to the F. Would like to do it just once ...

So if I clean out my address book on the iPhone (or on the computer and then sync to the iPhone), can I make it work? Seems crazy that I have to do the edit in the Pioneer copy to make it work, then I'd just have to do it after the next time I sync to the F. Would like to do it just once ...

Yes, you should be able to do it that way. Several of us are using SQLite to edit the unit's database so we can have the contacts one way in the F unit and differently on our phones. (My phone, for example, requires commas be inserted as pauses in the dial string; whereas the F units require a "P" to be used instead.)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys. I am using the iPhone 3G as well and I just finished editing the phonebook.db file through the FireFox add on. All names and number are exactly as they should be.

I have two more questions about this...

1) In the MySQL database manager for FireFox, there is a column for dwType. The values in this field range from 0 to 3. I am assuming this has to do with the iPhone's organization of "Work" "Mobile" "Home" so on and so forth. Do these number make a difference for the voice dial to work?

2) Do I need to go through my actual phone book on my iPhone and change all of the names to match the names in phonebook.db or are they completely separate and the stereo will find the right name just by the number?

Thanks,

Scott

LOL. Don't worry about responding, just went out to my car on my lunch and I answered both of my questions. The numbers correspond to the Mobile or Home just like I figured, and the phone book on the iPhone does not need to be changed to work.

Awesome find guys. This was the one HUGE disappointment for me as I don't have all my number memorized so I had no idea who was calling in. Not only is my voice dial working, but caller id is now showing names!

Thanks a lot guys!

LOL. Don't worry about responding, just went out to my car on my lunch and I answered both of my questions. The numbers correspond to the Mobile or Home just like I figured, and the phone book on the iPhone does not need to be changed to work.

Awesome find guys. This was the one HUGE disappointment for me as I don't have all my number memorized so I had no idea who was calling in. Not only is my voice dial working, but caller id is now showing names!

Thanks a lot guys!

Just to supplement a little for the column for dwType:

0 = general (only use this if you do not intend to have any other "classifications")

1 = Home

2 = Work

3 = Mobile

• 1 month later...

Hello all, this is my first post here,

I like alot of others have this name recognition problem, I have a blackberry curve 8330 with bell mobility in canada. I have changed my phone book to the xxxxxxxxxx format still i get no name recognition.

You all talk about the iphone, does the BB curve not work this way...

Anyone know? I have done lotsa reading can't find a solution... very fustrating because i really want this feature. I justpurchased the f90bt a few day ago.

any help greatly appreciated. :D

Did you go through and remove all the special characters in your contacts names as well? No (, ), ., &, #,+, -, etc.?

Hello all, this is my first post here,

I like alot of others have this name recognition problem, I have a blackberry curve 8330 with bell mobility in canada. I have changed my phone book to the xxxxxxxxxx format still i get no name recognition.

You all talk about the iphone, does the BB curve not work this way...

Anyone know? I have done lotsa reading can't find a solution... very fustrating because i really want this feature. I justpurchased the f90bt a few day ago.

any help greatly appreciated. :D