AVIC411.com

Fixing contacts makes voice dial by name work

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just used sq lite to edit my contacts, all my numbers were already in the xxx xxx xxxx format but they were all set to 0 for dw type. I changed them all to 3 which is the mobile setting (0 is general, 1 is home, 2 is office/work).

After editing the .db file on my computer with sq lite I transferred it to my avic. Now my avic shows "NAME mobile" or "NAME office" as before it only showed "NAME".

I hit the VR button and I couldn't believe that it actually recognized my contact!!! Before it wouldn't recognize any of them, I was shocked when she said " Calling NAME mobile" This works, thanks so much for the tip!

P.S I have a samsung SCH-u740

I can not for the life of me get Voice Dial to work with my iPhone 3G. I have the contacts edited. Before editing, they were in this format on the AVIC F700BT: 1(555)555-5555. Now I have them as 15555555555. Still no luck. Usually just replies "playing all artists" or something like that.

Does someone have some piece of information I'm missing? Kinda beginning to drive me nuts...

Thanks..

If you haven't already, make sure there are no symbols (ie $%&*@#-) in the names of any of your contacts. I edited all of my numbers perfectly but still had "AT&T" in there. Once I changed that, it all worked.

Definitely nothing at all in there. For example, I have a number like this:

John Doe, 15152223333, the ID is "3".

So I say "Call John Doe mobile", and it replies "Showing all artists." It does this for EVERY number, and it's driving me crazy. I've even tried deleting the pairing and re-pairing, re-editing, and still nothing. My iPod Nano works perfectly with voice commands, as does dialing by saying "Call 5152223333" works perfectly.

*sigh* I guess it doesn't work with iPhone 3Gs.

You must fix all names and numbers for it to work for any of the names. As a test, try deleting all but two or three of the contacts. Now see if it will work that way. If it does, keep adding more back in until it stops working. Maybe then you can find the name/number that is killing it.

You must fix all names and numbers for it to work for any of the names. As a test, try deleting all but two or three of the contacts. Now see if it will work that way. If it does, keep adding more back in until it stops working. Maybe then you can find the name/number that is killing it.

That's news to me! OK I'll work on it and check back!

Thank you!

If you haven't already, make sure there are no symbols (ie $%&*@#-) in the names of any of your contacts. I edited all of my numbers perfectly but still had "AT&T" in there. Once I changed that, it all worked.

Definitely nothing at all in there. For example, I have a number like this:

John Doe, 15152223333, the ID is "3".

So I say "Call John Doe mobile", and it replies "Showing all artists." It does this for EVERY number, and it's driving me crazy. I've even tried deleting the pairing and re-pairing, re-editing, and still nothing. My iPod Nano works perfectly with voice commands, as does dialing by saying "Call 5152223333" works perfectly.

*sigh* I guess it doesn't work with iPhone 3Gs.

Edit the number so there is not a 1 in the number. xxx xxx xxxx.

only use 10 numbers.

As I've gotten quite a few PM's piling up in my inbox asking about this process, I'd like to recap the pertinent details here.

Getting the d-base from your F series is covered in the Stephanie's post found HERE

Editing the d-base can be done using a firefox addon or using SQlite Database Browser found here http://sqlitebrowser.sourceforge.net/index.html.

The phone numbers should be in 10 digit format, remove any 1 or +1 from the beginning - ex. 0005551212, not 10005551212 and especially not 1 (000) 555-1212

The contacts themselves should not consist of anything at all besides alphanumerics (numbers and letters) - this means no dashes, colons, commas, ampersands(&), or anything else that doesn't fall under number/letter anywhere in any contact, just one tiny dash in 200 contacts will screw the whole thing up.

The dwtype is as follows

1 = Home

2 = Work

3 = Mobile

You could also use 0 if you are against setting it as home, work, or mobile

Edit: added a link to Stephanie's post

does every name in the phonebook have to be done correctly before anyone will work??

or would only the ones that are done correctly work?

basically what im asking is do i have to do every contact or just the ones that i want to use for voice dialing?

Also what happens if the number is a long distance number?? dont i have to put the one infront?

does every name in the phonebook have to be done correctly before anyone will work??

basically what im asking is do i have to do every contact or just the ones that i want to use for voice dialing?

Also what happens if the number is a long distance number?? dont i have to put the one infront?

As I said just a few posts above, all of them have to be fixed.

Think about it, when you speak, it has to scan all of the entries and pick the best match. If one of them is messed up, it will hang there.

As I said just a few posts above, all of them have to be fixed.

Think about it, when you speak, it has to scan all of the entries and pick the best match. If one of them is messed up, it will hang there.

This is 100% true. I had just ONE contact listed as Mary & James, and the "&" killed ALL the voice dialing.

I got it working perfectly!!!!!

YES!!!

FYI, you DO need a "1" before the number, otherwise incoming calls for me just show "15552221122" instead of the person's name.

So the correct format is 15552221122.

At least this is correct for iPhone 3G users.

Well i got it working now, after I edited every name in the contact list the voice dialing is correct. however, the unit doesnt show the name of the person that is calling when it recieves an incoming call.

I have an Iphone 3G and i tried what WilliamG said about the "1" infront of the number and it didnt work. so tomorrow i will retry and leave the "1" out.

hopefully this solves my problem and I will let you guys know.

i think when it comes to the Iphone3G everything is a trial and error basis. what works for one person doesnt necessarily work for all.