AVIC411.com

MT2 Audio School?

So, after a lot of thinking, I've decided that I want to pursue car audio as a career, however, I'm not certified. I found School In New Jersey called Mobile Technical Training, and they teach everything from basics to advanced in installation, and fabrication. Has anyone ever heard of or been to this school? I'd like to find out of any feeback before I consider this school. TIA!

there are several schools for installation and such, however they will only give you a foundation. ive heard good things about ritop in boston and the installer institute in florida. my biggest advice to you is get that foundation, but most skills will come from repetition and hands on approach. i started by working on my own car and friends cars doing basic installs and now can do about anything. in this field, like computers and stuff like that you have to keep learning and its always gunna be an ongoing process. best of luck to you.

there are several schools for installation and such, however they will only give you a foundation. ive heard good things about ritop in boston and the installer institute in florida. my biggest advice to you is get that foundation, but most skills will come from repetition and hands on approach. i started by working on my own car and friends cars doing basic installs and now can do about anything. in this field, like computers and stuff like that you have to keep learning and its always gunna be an ongoing process. best of luck to you.

I've seen the schools in Boston and Florida, and there's also a reputable one in Phoenix, but the problem with them is I need to maintain a full-time job to pay my bills and I can't afford to go that far. What I liked about MT2 is it's 70% hands-on and they offer saturday classes so I can commute without losing work. Like you, I started out doing installs around the area, I've been doing installs since I was 16, and I can pretty much do anything I think up, but I just want to be certified so I can get a good job in this field and one day open a shop. I was just wondering if anybody knew anything about this school first-hand. Thank you for the luck, in such a demanding field, I'm sure I'll need it :)

Misfit ur a smart mofo

car stereo installation will only ever get you 50k a year at most. thats probly after 10 years of doing it too. car installer are now a dime a dozen because anyone can attempt to put in a deck, if you can put in a deck then you can work at best buy, and if you work at best buy then you get "certified"! making you a qualified car stereo installer! sweet

but that cirtificate doesnt mean shi because you only ever put decks speakers, remote starts, and maybe video in! if your young and want to ave some fun at work then go for it! i however cannot recomend anyone "aspire" to be an installer. we get no respect! lol

i can suggest to get into home audio video! thats a huge money pit that will never be affected by any recession.

Misfit ur a smart mofo

car stereo installation will only ever get you 50k a year at most. thats probly after 10 years of doing it too. car installer are now a dime a dozen because anyone can attempt to put in a deck, if you can put in a deck then you can work at best buy, and if you work at best buy then you get "certified"! making you a qualified car stereo installer! sweet

but that cirtificate doesnt mean shi because you only ever put decks speakers, remote starts, and maybe video in! if your young and want to ave some fun at work then go for it! i however cannot recomend anyone "aspire" to be an installer. we get no respect! lol

i can suggest to get into home audio video! thats a huge money pit that will never be affected by any recession.

He is a smart guy lol. But I just love doing this kind of work. But the thing about being certified is having a bronze or silver means automatic increase in pay. At least that's how the BB manager explained it

I would like to get in that as well. However, Marine install's and frabrications is also a huge money pit and this school will teach me that as well. Also I want to pursue this to one day open up my own shop.

i dont mean to gripe or get you down you didnt mention your age but if your 18-21 i say go for it! at least you spend the money for school and then can immediatle use that cert to get a job.

im 25 and i realize now that this industry isnt for "men" its for youngins that dont want to flip burgers or sit in an office. ha and those raises your talking about are pennies!

good luck whatever you do!

well,ive been in the business for 16 years. and i used to love it too. i never got certified, it wasnt a big issue back then. i also only had about a months worth of hands on training before i was thrown out into the field to do the installs myself. i basically had to learn for myself. after about two years i did start my own business and it was awesome. and i can install pretty much anything. but as i said its a bad industry and this shit aint gonna last forever. and what do you do when it tanks? i went from making well over six figures to looking for a new job. and if your business does fail, now your looking at changing careers all together because in this business the only way your gonna make money is by being an owner. no one is ever gonna pay you shit to work for them. you cant go from six figures to $20 an hour for someone else

also, that home thater thing that was mentioned earlier, it is a much better industry. but again, its a luxury business. when i first started looking to jump ship on my business because i saw the direction it was going, i called on a friend of mine who has one of those businesses and it was starting to hit him as well. nothing is guaranteed to last, but look into a career that has more stability than luxury items. when people gotta cut corners, they start with the luxurys. sorry, dont mean to preach.

preach all you want Misfit, as a former business owner, you've been where I eventually want to be, and I'm listening very intently to what you have to say. I have mentioned my age in the past, but I'm 20.

The idea I had for a business is soemthing I haven't seen around here. I wanted to combine auto and marine audio, custom fabrications, any even upholstery since I'll know how to do them, then take a course for home theater, so I can throw that in the mix, and I'd like to find a mechanic who knows aftermarket performance and installs, so it'd be a one stop shop for audio, custom work, restoration, home theater, and performance. I also plan on taking a business course after. Just something for when I apply for a loan, they see that not only is my credit rating good, but I have the knowledge and capabilities of managing a business.

I also don't plan on staying in NY. Though I love it here and would never want to leave, it's getting more and more expensive by the day. My fiance' and I were talking about moving further south, since rent is 1/2-1/3 the price as rent here, and you get an apartment twice the size. A friend of mine's parents rent out their 1 car garage in the back of the house as a studio and they're charging the guy like $800 a month. ridiculous. So hopefully business would be better somewhere in less trouble than NY