AVIC411.com

SSD, Here we go...

garrettoomey, let's sum up.

You wrote that the SSD seemed to work fine in the Z, but the Z locked the drive. Did it suffer from the reboot problem? Did you test it long enough to check for that problem?

I have a brand spank me new Patriot 64GB SSD sitting right here, installed in my new desktop. I'll email Patriot to confirm security can be disabled. If so, I'll take a stab at it.

But if you encountered the reboot problem, I'm not going to bother.....

Thx.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I did not have it installed long enough to test for rebooting. Transcend was unable to unlock the SSD, and the SSD did not support disabling security at this time. I was told that they will be sure to include the feature in their next release...

Any news on unlocking the Transcend?

Did you get a feel of the speed while using the SSD? I don't think Transcend has the fastest IDE-SSD, both Super Talent and RiDATA has 32 GB disks with higher Read-speeds (60 Mb/s)

• 2 months later...

As I might be a bit behind on this conversation about locked drive vs unlocked drives I am going to ask..What is the point of unlocking the drives? From What I was able to read in this thread an image was able to be installed on the SSD and it did function, even if it wasn't tested long enough to determine the reboot issue. I ask this for two reasons. One being that I am curious. And second is that I would really love to have a SSD in my Z1. I installed my Z1 in my Z31 (300ZX) by cutting a whole for it to fit into in the dash, as I originally did not have a double din place for it. However I assume the ride might be a bit rough for it as I am noticing a few more songs that are getting choppy, like a grooved record and the needle gets stuck. I can only assume this is from the shock, and a SSD would of course fix this. Ultimately, depending on the answer here, I would be happy to buy a SDD to test in my Z1 for the reboot issue, if someone would give me an image. While it would be nice to not have to recopy all my music, if that is what the unlocking is for, I don't really care THAT much if I have to redo it as long as the SSD works.

Thanks!

• 6 months later...

Update:

I have been working with Transcend and they have agreed to load special firmware on my SSD drive to disable ATA security functions. I should have the updated drive back in about 10 days, I'll report back on how it works on my Z1. Keeping fingers crossed.

I'll update as I get more info.

-Ed

• 2 weeks later...

GREAT NEWS! I received my special SSD drive back from Transcend today and it works great in my AVIC-Z1!

No locked drive! The special firmware removed the ATA security functions and I now have a working SSD in my AVIC that I can remove anytime and connect to my PC for updating. I loaded the new updated software via the torrent going around with updated logos and maps.

I'm going to test it throughout the week to see if there are any reboot issues that have been discussed here. If not, then I think we have found a solution!

So far it seems faster, especially when searching, but I can't say for certain if it is just the drive or the new software or a combination.

You can order the drive with the special firmware from Transcend directly. Exact details on how to do that I have to find out from my contact at Transcend, but be warned they aren't cheap. I think the 32GB version is $219.00 and the 64GB version is $330.00

If there is enough interest, I would be happy to do a bulk purchase from one of my suppliers I deal with at work and have the special firmware loaded on them, along with the new updated software for much less than what transcend sells them for.(I think in the $170 range). I am happy to return a favor to the people here who have provided so much good info for the AVIC series.

I'll keep everyone posted with details of my extended testing.

-Ed

So far, so good. No mystery reboots or anything. I think we have a winner.

No comments so far huh? I'm surprised. This seems like a perfect solution for aging AVICs.

I've been reading your posts with great interest but you are very thorough with the information so I haven't felt the need to make comments/ask questions.

I also think there's not a lot of interest due to the Z110BT being out now. Most people are dropping their Zx's for that.

that is the ultimate question, do i dump a couple hundred into my 2 year old z2, and end up with less than stellar iphone support, (even my scoshe adapter stopped chargin the darn phone) or do i move on to newer tech.... which of course will be quite a bit more money....dilemas.... just for shits n giggles what am i lookin at for a ssd with the latest maps, z3 image etc ready to drop into my old z2? and does anyone give me a couple pennies back if i send them my old z2 drive?

What I'm doing concerning the Z110BT is waiting. There's two benefits to this: 1) The longer I wait, the cheaper it gets. 2) The longer I wait, the more bugs/kinks are discovered and possibly fixed. If they aren't fixed at least I will know about them and have an accurate expectation of the unit should I decide to buy it.

You can order the drive with the special firmware from Transcend directly. Exact details on how to do that I have to find out from my contact at Transcend, but be warned they aren't cheap. I think the 32GB version is $219.00 and the 64GB version is $330.00

-Ed

Any news on how we can order the drive from Transcend?

-Ed

Any news on how we can order the drive from Transcend?

You need to open an RMA to have the special firmware loaded on the drive. I have a contact there who knows how to do this. Email me and I'll get you the contact info. Also, be advised that buyuing directly through Transcend is expensive. If a couple of folks want to save some $$$, I could be happy to do a "group buy" through one of my distributors, get the special firmware loaded on them and shipped out to the group members. There is no charge for this. Just my way to give back to the community. Lemme know if interested.