AVIC411.com

Making calls via Bluetooth

My biggest complaint about this unit is the inability of the voice recognition to understand ANY of my contacts. "Call Bob" or "Call home" doesn't work, but "Call 555-1212 works fine." It works fine for all other sources. My phone is a Verizon Motorola VE.

I seem to remember reading a thread before I bought this unit, but after 2 hours of searching I can't put my fingers on it, that noted I needed to edit the phonebook to a specific format. So I have copied down the file, and using the SQL editor I have tried using

1235551212 (without the 1 in front)

and

11235551212 (making sure ALL contacts have a 1 in front)

Is this the correct format? Does it matter? Do I need to add dashes to make it 1-123-555-1212?

Any other tricks I'm missing that I am overlooking in my searches?

Thanks!

Thanks!

aargh no dice. I edited 160 contacts, and I see the same behavior.

So I tried again, and deleted all but a couple (home and brother's cell), and tried with just those two. Same problem. I did try with the 1- in front for each, as I need to include that for these contacts.

Any other ideas, or should I just chalk this up to a problem with compatibility with this specific phone ?

Thanks!

make sure after you update your phone book on the AVIC you turn on VR mode and let it cycle through and update the VR library including ipod if you have one attached. Also, at least on my phone, the contacts are listed last name, then first name so make sure you are speaking the contacts the same way they are listed on the avic.

But yes.....voice recogonition is not the best. It "works" but not nearly like the demo's on pioneers website....

It's my phone.

Just wanted to update this topic so it didn't leave on a hanging note. My phone is a Motorola VE, everything worked except the voice dialing.

So I synced up my wife's phone - an LG Chocolate, using the same contacts, and it works great. I say "Call home"....works. Call Dominos...works. Call someone with home or cell...it asks me to confirm...works.

Time to upgrade phones I guess. Super. :roll:

• 3 weeks later...

Minor update here, in case someone else has the same Motorola Maxx VE phone. I took my phone to Verizon, and had them update the software on the phone - mine was almost a year old, and was a good bit out of date.

It works. Now the voice recognition works fine with the phone - no issues. Woohoo!

As well as editing the numbers to a specific format, some phones (such as my iPhone 3G) required me to edit the contact name to not include any characters other than letters and numbers. I have received several PMs regarding this and each member I have suggested this to (not my fix, I am not sure who credit for this goes to but I found it in a post) it has fixed the issue. Well worth a try... I know I was like a kid on Christmas morning the first time it recognized and called a number by name. :D