AVIC411.com

CNDV-80MT Torrent

Not that I care all that much to upgrade today/tomorrow whatever, but Im not rushing out to buy it because of the simple fact its been less then a year since I just spent 100's of dollars on the unit itself. For what I/we paid you'd think we could "at least" get 1 free update. Pioneer reminds me of MS. They put out beta crap and charge full price for it. Then they come out with fixes and charge you again. In case nobody realizes it vista is nothing more then XP with updates. Yet they make you pay for "updates". How much money should a person have to pay for one "working" Nav unit? Its not like these are new roads that weren't present when I purchased my D3. In fact the map data in the "update" is probably older then when I purchased the D3. See my point? For what I/we paid we should at the very least get a Nav unit that has "ALL" the roads that were present when we bought our Nav's. Now sure if they make new roads later etc then we should have to pay but I don't feel like we should pay for them to add roads to a database where the roads were in place before we bought our units. Plain enough?

Not that I care all that much to upgrade today/tomorrow whatever, but Im not rushing out to buy it because of the simple fact its been less then a year since I just spent 100's of dollars on the unit itself. For what I/we paid you'd think we could "at least" get 1 free update. Pioneer reminds me of MS. They put out beta crap and charge full price for it. Then they come out with fixes and charge you again. In case nobody realizes it vista is nothing more then XP with updates. Yet they make you pay for "updates". How much money should a person have to pay for one "working" Nav unit? Its not like these are new roads that weren't present when I purchased my D3. In fact the map data in the "update" is probably older then when I purchased the D3. See my point? For what I/we paid we should at the very least get a Nav unit that has "ALL" the roads that were present when we bought our Nav's. Now sure if they make new roads later etc then we should have to pay but I don't feel like we should pay for them to add roads to a database where the roads were in place before we bought our units. Plain enough?

I can see both side of the coin here. The people who make the maps must at some point conclude that they have all of the road data in existence. Still, roads continue to be built, and POI's continue to be added. They then sell that data to companies like Pioneer, who program the data on to discs that get installed in their next G-whiz device.

It might be MONTHS (or longer) between the time the data is collected and you walk into a store and buy the Avic N*. So now you feel that Pioneer is responsible for making sure that the day you decided to buy the latest G-whiz gizmo, all of the data should be included and up to date. I just don't see how they can make this happen, do you? It seems impossible to me One free update would be nice, if they could do it for the moment in time that you walked out of the store with your new system, but again, I don't see how they can make that happen.

Having said that, just be thankful you don't fly airplanes. I pay HUNDREDS of dollars a year to keep the GPS in my Cessna (Garmin G-1000) updated with the latest Garmin and Jeppeson nav data to keep me safe. No, I don't have to do it, I could just buy paper maps (charts), approach plates and Airport directories etc., but it's well worth the ease of use to have all of that info at my fingertips.

But I digress, the point is that Pioneer has to pay for that info, it's not free. It will make to the underground market fairly quickly, so we all have the choice of paying now or waiting and getting it "free", it just depends on our priority.

regards

~Marc

They could easily give us one free update. Its called putting a coupon in the box with the Nav unit. Even if it was only a 50% off coupon. It just seems to me to be a rip off that I buy a unit and then 8 months later I have to pay $120 for an update. I get all your points about they have to pay for the new info etc etc but arent they using that same map data in the new units they are trying to sell? Its not like they arent going to make their money back. Just like everyone else they are too greedy. They shouldnt be trying to make a profit on map data. They should be concentrating on making money on their equipment and selling a good product and having satisfied customers.

They could easily give us one free update. Its called putting a coupon in the box with the Nav unit. Even if it was only a 50% off coupon. It just seems to me to be a rip off that I buy a unit and then 8 months later I have to pay $120 for an update. I get all your points about they have to pay for the new info etc etc but arent they using that same map data in the new units they are trying to sell? Its not like they arent going to make their money back. Just like everyone else they are too greedy. They shouldnt be trying to make a profit on map data. They should be concentrating on making money on their equipment and selling a good product and having satisfied customers.

Well heck, if all you want is 50% off, that's easy! Buy the 2-disc set and sell the one you don't need to another user in that part of the country for ½ off.

Seriously, I don't know that I would call it a "rip-off" to not have free updates. Someone has to sit down and program those updates, and I presume they don't work for free. I don't know how much Pioneer makes on the upgrade disc, but I think the share holders might have some input on someone saying they shouldn't try to make a profit. I don't know anyone who can afford to work for "free".

Regarding the updates, we really have it pretty good. Garmin sells updates that will only work in an individual unit. If you have 2 units, guess what? You get to pay twice!

But my comment was more geared to the users who act like they have some "right" to the data that another person has purchased, yet they won't step up and open their own wallet and "give" their hard-earned $$$ away.

OK, so let's say Pioneer "owes" you an update. Do you think that the smuck who buys an update should make it available because Pioneer "owes" you?

regards

~Marc

I dont know why people on here wont post it?

I think the bigger question is why people on here refuse to pay for something they want to use? It's not that expensive....

regards

~Marc

Ok , moneybags you can buy it for me.

Let me get this straight, you can afford the Avic, but you can't afford to feed it? :shock:

regards

~Marc

I dont know why people on here wont post it?

I think the bigger question is why people on here refuse to pay for something they want to use? It's not that expensive....

regards

~Marc

Ok , moneybags you can buy it for me.

Let me get this straight, you can afford the Avic, but you can't afford to feed it? :shock:

regards

~Marc

I got an avic n1, xm recievier, and pioneer 6 disc cd changer for 330 on ebay. no i cant afford it.

But my comment was more geared to the users who act like they have some "right" to the data that another person has purchased, yet they won't step up and open their own wallet and "give" their hard-earned $$$ away.

OK, so let's say Pioneer "owes" you an update. Do you think that the smuck who buys an update should make it available because Pioneer "owes" you?

regards

~Marc

I get that Plummit

I don't think I/we/anyone is entitled to the data that someone else purchased. I also don't think anyone should complain about someone not sharing something they paid for. That's up the the individual that did the paying. If you notice I never complained about that. My complaints are all towards Pioneer. I also don't think people do or should work for free. Pioneer pays them and they don't necessarily have to pay them from the direct profits of the map data. They could be paid from the profit on the units themselves. Or are you suggesting that Pioneer doesn't make any profit on their HU's?

Also it's not a matter of if I can afford it or not. It's a matter of how I feel about having to shell out another $120 after I just paid, well I don't even remember, but I think I paid about $685 for my D3 (which came with a free BU Cam and installation hardware etc and free shipping), then $100 for the Sirius unit, and $100 for the BT unit, and I forget how many 100's of $$$ I paid for my ipod (which I won't be using anywhere else but my car) and etc etc. If I had wanted to spend more money I would have gotten a Z instead. Point is I have already spent the amount of money I was willing to spend, and I will deal with my hardware/software as it is (you get what you pay for I suppose), but here I am faced with a choice if I want to spend more, and I really feel like Pioneer has enough of my $$$ for now. If I were in charge at Pioneer Id certainly be at least giving people that purchased their unit's less then a yr ago a 50% off coupon. This is all Im saying.

EDIT: I found today a link that said that Pioneer is selling some of its units in Japan with 3 years of free map upgrades via download. I guess we're too dumb in the rest of the world to make them give it to us

Plus: Look at the functions on this thing. Aparently someone driving ahead of you can inform you of traffic congestion? It also seems to come with software and it also converts movies for you to play in the unit etc etc. Also has a built in Digital TV tuner.

http://pioneer.jp/press/release192.html