AVIC411.com

Upgrading Hard Drive

I'm wanting to upgrade my hard drive in the z3 to a 7200 RPM for faster bootup...

I read that you can only use Toshiba drives -- but I have been unable to find a 7200 rpm Toshiba PATA drive...

Is there additional work to get a drive, such as a Seagate, to work? I prefer Seagate drives, and was wondering if anyone knew why they wouldn't work, or if they will work.

Also, if anyone knows about a compatible 7200 Toshiba drive that I'm somehow unable to find...That would be great!

Toshiba does not have a 7200 RPM PATA drive. You have not overlooked anything.

There are a lot of theories about why drives other than Toshiba cause random rebooting. NTRS (Non-Toshiba Reboot Syndrome). Other brand drives do seem to work for a little while, then they start to experience NTRS.

Go with a Toshiba MK6034GAX, and you won't be disappointed.

I am currently testing a solid state drive, but have run into a few snags. Keep an eye on that thread for updates.

When using a non automotive drive such as the Toshiba MK6034GAX, do you not think there maybe issues when using it in a cold climate ? The minimum operating temp is +5C where as the min for the automotive drive is -20C. Ok so the car will warm up but it might me that the unit will not operate straight away ??

I wanted to get a backup / faster drive but the automotive drives from Toshiba all run at 4200rpm and here in the uk it will get below freezing in the winter months so I'm not sure about a normal drive.

PS, anyone done the latest european update to the HD3 ?

Cheers

Adam

• 6 months later...

I have sucessfully updated a HD1BT to HD3-II HD3-2 firmware software. I bought a HD3-II and a HD1BT and followed the instructions on this forum for Z1 - Z3 upgrade. I used a Toshiba MK6034GAX 60GB drive with enlarged music partition. Will try Toshiba MK8032GAX 80GB drive soon (1-2 weeks). If I understand correctly I will not be able to make use of the extra 20GB space in the 80GB drives because of the 37GB music partition limit. Still, I have heard of original 80GB upgrade drives, I just don´t know enough about them.

I have experienced the hard disk too cold to operate issue. That was with the original Toshiba 30GB automotive drive. The temperature was around -5 C. The unit said "cannot use HDD" but after a few minutes it would start up. I don´t remember if I had to stop and turn off and back on the ignition to make the unit start up. Winter was finished here when I started using the MK6034GAX laptop drive, but I will find out in about 6 or 7 months, how this disk responds to the cold. I am guessing that the too cold to operate issue will be much worse, but after some minutes the unit will be warm and the hard drive usable. I still have the automotive drive and will put the upgraded image on it, and have it ready to compare if cold weather becomes a problem.

Hi, when you said that you updated HD1BT TO HD3 II, HOW DID YOU DO THAT?

What I mean is where did you find the firmware?

There is a n update disk CNDV-800HD sold by Pioneer.

I live in Athens, Greece, I own an AVIC-HD1BT, i RECENTLY MANAGED TO UNLOCK ITS HARD DRIVE FOLLOWING gARRETTOOMEY'S SUGGESTIONS.

Where did you buy the Toshiba MK6034GAX in Europe? I also need to buy it. I did a Google search and the only availability seems to be via uk stores by Amazon, but they for some reason don't ship to Greece.

Any help would be appreciated.

Andrteas Pettas

I unlocked an original HD3-II drive (keeping the data!), copied it, and put the copied drive in a HD1BT.

The firmware and software for HD3-II was on the HD3-II hard drive and it will upgrade any previous version (HD1BT or HD3BT) to HD3-II. The updated HD1BT is now identical to the HD3-II the drive was copied from.

This is just a short description of what is involved, you need to go to this thread to get the details:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9446

I bought the MK6034GAX drive on Ebay.

You don´t need both the Pioneer upgrade DVD and a new drive, but if you don´t want to buy the dvd then you need an image of a HD3-II drive.