AVIC411.com

How do I get my ipod touch to play videos.......

You can use a standard Camcorder AV cable to connect your video iPod to a the Z once you understand the signal flow that Apple have adopted in favour of current standards. This will save you cash and you can always spray the cheaper black cable white if you insist on the white bling thing!

Apple iPod sends it's video signal over the red RCA cable. Normally it would be the yellow one. Hence people get confused, give up thinking they need a 'special' cable and shell out $60 at the apple store.

Here's the configuration.

Red RCA plugs into Z's yellow RCA jack.

Yellow RCA plugs into Z's white RCA jack.

White RCA plugs into Z's red RCA jack.

You may even have one of these laying around the house...

They do not plug color to color because apple wants you to buy "their" cable. Quality is the same using either cable. Yes, plug in where the headphones go.

Configure the ipod settings for TV out:

To open these settings, choose Videos -> Video Settings from your main iPod menu. This screen offers three settings: TV Out, TV Signal and Widescreen. Adjust to produce the video playback style you need.

TV Out

Whenever you play a video file, your iPod must make a choice. Video iPods either play video on the built-in screen or they transmit a video signal out of the microphone jack. They don't do both. The TV Out option controls which behavior occurs.

Use this setting to choose from:

No. Playback remains on the iPod itself.

Yes. A TV signal is produced.

Ask. The iPod prompts you whenever you play a video file.

I always use the Ask option. Yes, it does add an extra step whenever I play a video file, but it gives me the flexibility to choose playback behavior on a case-by-case basis. I like that.