AVIC411.com

HOW TO: Add Branded POI icons :UPDATED: 04-21-09

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alright, so I just tried to add the branded icons and was able to copy and paste the "Branding" folder to Myflash/apl2/igo.

This is not making any sense, but now when I go to the gps setting, it's not picking up a gps signal. Does anyone know why this is happening?

I tried resetting the unit but doesn't fix. Please help

First of all you shouldn't be copying a branding "folder". Dont unzip the file, it needs to be copied to the unit as a zip file. And there is nothing as far as that file is concerned that should affect your GPS reception. I think that is just coincidental and for whatever reason the signal just isn't getting to your unit right now. It most likely will correct itself.

im kinda confused on how to do this. how do i set it in test mode? then insert the sd card? and it'll do it by itself? sorry for the dumb questions. any help appreciated

Ok there are loads of threads on hear that explain test mode. You will need to obtain the test mode files in order to do this. Search the forum and you shall be rewarded.

First of all you shouldn't be copying a branding "folder". Dont unzip the file, it needs to be copied to the unit as a zip file. And there is nothing as far as that file is concerned that should affect your GPS reception. I think that is just coincidental and for whatever reason the signal just isn't getting to your unit right now. It most likely will correct itself.

Ok so I just need to copy the "Branding" folder zipped. I will try that tomorrow.

Yeah, that's why I was confused. The gps was picking up signal just fine before doing this and I lost signal right after I copied the icons so I freaked out. Just weird that the gps wasn't picking up a signal cuz I usually get "High" reception.

Thanks

Yea the last couple of days I have been booting into test mode allot to do mods. A few times, including tonight, it took about a minute plus for me to gain signal. Also, every time I boot to test mode I have to input my anti theft password on restart so I'm pretty sure test mode actually causes a reset of sorts of the unit which probably explains the slow signal reception at times.

Alright now this is really bothering me.

I checked my gps connection today again and it's not picking up signal. What gives?

Before copying:

dscf7053lp5.jpg

I copied the branded icons:

dscf7160bt1.jpg

No signal:

dscf7185xr5.jpg

First option "Around Current GPS Location" greyed out:

dscf7175sj5.jpg

I was excited to play around w/this since I just got it installed.

What can I do fix this?

Nevermind I found a fix.

I decided to take the gps antenna out out of the dash and put it near the front window and it picked up signal.

It doesn't make sense though. After I tested it, I put it back inside to the right of the unit and it's picking up signal fine.

I think I'm gonna have to find a better place after I test this out.

Editing the branding file is somewhat complicated beyond my abilities. If anyone else can please feel free to do so. One area that could be improved is with the fast food category. The branding file has the category but the F series POI menu does not. The mod would most likely need to be done on the unit side to match the branding file. As far as changing an icon with the branding file, you would probably need to edit the image file with an image editor. You can explore the branding file on your computer to view the image files for editing.

Yea, I'm getting those same bread icons for restaurants. I am also looking for a way to change it to the default one w/the knife/fork icon.

There's another icon that pops up everywhere in my map. It's the one w/red and white colors and it has a angled square inside the box. I've tried looking under the info but the icon doesn't come up in the list. I want to change that icon to something else as well.

I'm also looking for a way to get POI icons for fast food restaurants. I see a McDonalds icon in the download of the branded icons but I do I use it?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys nice work on the mod. :D But I can not add my own icons like before the mod using a USB. In fact I can't delete the ones I made before like a Starbucks before I read this thread. :( Can you guys confirms this I am a newbee so maybe I am doing something wrong.

Also I would be very interested in the Fast Food category fix as well then I wont have to add my own icons.

Thanks,