HOW TO: Add Branded POI icons :UPDATED: 04-21-09

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Vblue,

Just wanted to ask, would this Branding file and basically every other suggested change in this thread, work on the Australian F900BT running on version 3?

To be honest, i dont know if im using iGo8 or iGo8.3 but in general, would this work for Australian maps? i.e. are these just the icons, and they run off the given maps?

Thanks

I believe a couple of post back there are people that have reported that it does work on version 3.0 which is, as far as I know, igo 8.3. I no longer have this series of unit so I cant say for sure. As far as weather it will work for other countries? It should. This file works off of the internal categories of the built in POI database. There may be some slight differences in the category titles between different countries but by and large it should work fine. I can tell you that several UK members here are using this file. In fact, the GAS STATION category in the unit is actually labeled PETROL in the internal database of the unit and GAS STATIONS displayed just fine for US units. I am sure UK members can chime in to this post and verify as to the compatibility of this file with other countries. BorisM knows just about everything there is to know about the software of these units and could probably give you more accurate advice about this then I. Even if there are slight compatibility differences with this file, I have to say that if the majority of the icons display properly, it is a huge improvement over the generic on board icons provided with the stock software of this unit.

Alright then well im willing to try it, but i just opened up the APL2/iGo folder on my computer (a backup of what is on my unit flash drive) and there are 3 different branding zip files..

one is just "branding", the other is "branding_EW" and the other is "branding_UC"

what should i do? i know in the instructions you wrote, i have to put the new "branding" zip file in there, but what should i do about those other 2 branding zip's?

Sorry if its a stupid question

Thanks

Ok i just did what you suggested, i delete both the other branding folders and i put in the one uploaded in this thread, and the icons of all the categories did change, and i didnt have any GPS signal loss or anything like that, but it still made no difference in the fact that the entire "Restaurant" category isnt there and there is no way to see any sort of restaurant or eating area without having to type the name of the place into the search option.

Do you have any idea why this could be happening? There are several other Australian users in the "Australian Map Update" thread in this forum who have the same problem, and we were hoping you solution would work but doesnt :(

Ok i just did what you suggested, i delete both the other branding folders and i put in the one uploaded in this thread, and the icons of all the categories did change, and i didnt have any GPS signal loss or anything like that, but it still made no difference in the fact that the entire "Restaurant" category isnt there and there is no way to see any sort of restaurant or eating area without having to type the name of the place into the search option.

Do you have any idea why this could be happening? There are several other Australian users in the "Australian Map Update" thread in this forum who have the same problem, and we were hoping you solution would work but doesnt :(

Alright explore your DATA.ZIP file and navigate to: ui_pioneer/icons/POI .Make sure there is a restaurant.icon file there. This may be the problem but I cant say for sure.

That wont work, AVIC FEEDS will only process the first 100 locations of any CSV file and completely ignore the rest of the locations. I think I have a solution for you but it will take me some time to write it up for you. I have a very busy day today but I will provide a solution later tonight.

I am not sure where I am going wrong. I have downloaded the UK POI's from the link above. Do I need to rename the folder ui-igo8 to ui_pioneer?

I have put the zipped file with ui_igo-8 and branding onto a sd card and booted into test mode, then copied across to APL/IGO file and the zipped file has loaded on, but I have no icons!! I think I have new catergories like Tesco's and MacDonalds, but it is still the old icons

p.s I am using igo8.3 maps

Thanks

Can I bump this?

VBlue, wasn't sure if one of your posts on page 14 was aimed at me, or another user having problems :)

The problem appears to be with the POI data that comes with the map files. Boot to testmode and navigate to: APL2/IGO/CONTENT/POI. The files there contain the POI category data. This data, to my knowledge can not be edited but it can be replaced. Go to http://www.gpsunderground.com/forums/fo ... y.php?f=43 You will probably need to register but it is free to do so. There you will need to download the POI files for igo 8.3+. The files I used when I had my unit were the 10.2008. These files had a lot better POI category data then the 04.2008 POI that came with the maps of the same date. This was when I had my unit with version 2.0 prior to the version 3.0 update. At that time, the 04.2008 maps were the last igo 8.0 maps that would work with the F series version 2.0. The POI files however could be used for newer maps so the 10.2008 POI files were the ones I used and had good results. Just be sure you choose the POI files for your country of course. Hope this helps as this is the only advise at this point I can give sense I no longer have the unit.