AVIC411.com

HOW TO: Add Branded POI icons :UPDATED: 04-21-09

Didn't work (***I Think***). I took the "Branding.Zip" from the download site and saved it (.RAR format) to my SD card. Booted it up in test mode and then I copied the Branding.ZIP file and then pasted into APL2/IGO. IS this correct?? I can select icons when I go to the POI select screen no prob but in 3D mode they still show up as generic icons.

Is this how it is supposed to be?? Don't these reside in the DATA.ZIP (XXX/ui_pioneer/.....) file structure? Or is this supposed to make a new "ui_pioneer" folder in the flash drive /APL/IGO? directory

And once the "Branding.ZIP" folder still resides in the folder of "My FLash Disk" Can this be removed from the flash drive once it is in there and working???

Thanx,

Bud

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I took the "Branding.Zip" from the download site and saved it (.RAR format) to my SD card.

Dont remember saying anything about .rar in my instructions. Download the file and copy it to the directory on the unit I specify in the instructions. Its that easy.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like the key is editing the poi.icons file to get the restaurant branded icons to display. See the Pizza Hut entry below.

[Restaurant.Italian]

$poi_mapdistant.bmp

$poi_mapclose.spr 31

poi_mapclose.spr 31

[Restaurant.Italian.Pizza_Hut]

$poi_mapdistant.bmp

$poi_brand.spr 129

poi_brand.spr 129

[Restaurant.Indian]

$poi_mapdistant.bmp

$poi_mapclose.spr 31

poi_mapclose.spr 31

Icon no. 31 in poi_mapclose is the infamous bread icon (counting from 0). poi_brand.spr is a descriptor file for the poi_brand.bmp file. I tried to add the following.

[Restaurant.Other_Restaurant_Area.McDonald_s]

$poi_mapdistant.bmp

$poi_restaurant_rect.spr 0

poi_restaurant_rect.spr 0

But it didn't work. I may have the category wrong. Maybe someone can confirm?

halomez what file are you editing there and where is it located? I've been all through the data.zip and most of the bmp's but don't see anything related to poi's.

He is looking in the Branding file that can be downloaded one the first page.

Once you have downloaded the Branding file you unzip it and go to ui_pioneer>icons>poi>poi.icons

I have been able to get the Burger King and McDonald's icons to show up on my unit already branded with 2008.04 maps. With the 2008.04 maps I can go to MANAGE POI search under RESTAURANTS then go to FAST FOOD under that category there are several places to show a poi for such as Burger King, Chick-Fi-La, McDonald's, etc.

I got the Burger King and McDonald's poi icons to show up by placing this text

[Restaurant.Fast_Food.Burger_King]

$poi_mapdistant.bmp

$poi_brand.spr 19

poi_brand.spr 19

[Restaurant.Fast_Food.McDonald_s]

$poi_mapdistant.bmp

$poi_brand.spr 99

poi_brand.spr 99

into the Branding>ui_pioneer>icons>poi>poi.icons file.

I have the same maps and there is no FAST FOOD category with the stock avic software to be able to assign icons to. The reason why restaurant icons dont show with the branding file is because the categories in the MANAGE POI menu dont fully match that of the branding file.

I have the same maps and there is no FAST FOOD category with the stock avic software to be able to assign icons to. The reason why restaurant icons dont show with the branding file is because the categories in the MANAGE POI menu dont fully match that of the branding file.

I'm using UK maps 2008.10 and I do have a fast food category under restaurants. I'm guessing that is to do with the .poi file I loaded when I updated my map.

It works with the iGo 8.0 system and for me in Florida the 2008.10 Poi file was larger than the 2008.04 Poi file. As well as the fact that the Resturants are categorized even more that the previous Poi files. So all in all its a plus for me, especially since I figured out how to place any iGo 8.0 ready Poi bmp and make it show up on my unit if categorized.