AVIC411.com

f900bt rebooting continiously

well i followed everyones tutorials on how to fix the rebooting for my f90bt and still nothing. i tried reupdating it. nothing. i tried the erasing user data too and still nothing ive also reupdated like who knows how many times. i dont understand what im doing wrong and also the menu sounds have dissapeared when im somewhere other than in my gps thing. kinda weird..... anyone have any other suggestions

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i followed everyones tutorials on how to fix the rebooting for my f90bt and still nothing. i tried reupdating it. nothing. i tried the erasing user data too and still nothing ive also reupdated like who knows how many times. i dont understand what im doing wrong and also the menu sounds have dissapeared when im somewhere other than in my gps thing. kinda weird..... anyone have any other suggestions

didnt see where you may or may not have confirmed:

did you mod the software in any way?

have you considered sending it to pioneer for them to fix?

awesome. this happened to me too during my 3 hr drive home for christmas yesterday. my symptoms seem different (at least from what i am understanding).

mine doesn't do a TOTAL reboot, meaning, it will appear to start normally with my startup screen, then i will see the "system startup in progress" (which i don't remember coming up after i updated to 2.0 a few months ago, can anyone confirm?) on the main screen (the one with destination, contacts, and AV source). then, while the audio is still playing, it will flash the startup screen again, then after about 20 seconds shows the main menu again, then repeats. the reason why i don't think its totally rebooting is because my audio is still heard when the startup image comes back on again. this happens at ANY speed, even stationary. also, i have an f700bt, so no gyro is involved.

i believe what i did when this started happening is that i tried to adjust the volume with my external wired remote before it was fully up and also used the backup camera (i was going in reverse) (though it could be coincidental).

i was getting so annoyed that on my way home i just put the flash disk back in so it would boot into safe mode so the screens wouldn't flash every 20 seconds. it does not partially reboot while in safe mode. i do have the software bypass done and have noticed something that may be strange or wrong. i am able to input destinations in at any speed because of the bypass but when i try to watch video i get the warning about watching videos on the unit (not the improper parking break hookup message). no video is displayed then. i would think the bypass is working ok because i would expect the 'improper parking brake' message to appear if it wasn't but haven't used video enough to know if this is normal. one thing that could maybe not be good (but i doubt it) is that i soldered my parking brake and avic ground together which both are soldered to the wire tip (not sure what the exact term is) which has a hole which is used to put a screw in into the truck chassis. i haven't tried much troubleshooting yet but have read suggestions and will try them, though this seems like a different issue since it doesn't completely reboot and because it is independent of speed.

i did let do its partial reboot cycle for a while and it did come up without the 'system startup in progress' message after about three minutes. it seems like when i try to hit 'destination' again it does COMPLETELY reboot. hitting av source though doesn't completely reboot it though. it will just wait the remainder of the 20 seconds and then do the partial reboot.

he mentioned he bought it from best buy.

did you do any software hacks? that would cause it to reboot continuously like that.

if not, then just have them swap it out. im a best buy installer and they'll do it no problem.

well to be honest i bought it from an authorized dealer on ebay and haven't contacted them as of yet because this just happened tonight. it is an electronics store and the dude has sold thousands of items and his rating is 99.3% so i took my chances. it was brand new, everything still factory sealed.

I have not done any software hacks, just the pin and mute wire bypass. best buy just installed it and they seemed to know a lot about the f900 and said the bypass i did was correct. like i said, it worked great for 2 days and then today constantly started rebooting when i start moving and continues while i'm moving. only will fully boot if i'm not moving. someone said something about if the gyro sensor is bad it could cause it to reboot after about 10 miles an hour. i was just hoping that maybe someone might know something else. i'd hate to think that it is brand new and faulty.

now here is a question for the best buy guy. is there any chance they can swap it out with one of theirs for some cash on the side or would best buy know. i know its kinda sketchy but after spending 1000 bucks i really don't want to have to mail this thing all over the place. also i have heard you guys get crazy discounts on stuff there, something like 50% off. has anyone ever offered you money for stuff like this or would it be out of line.

There's no such thing as an authorized Pioneer dealer on ebay. Here's the wording from Pioneers site about Pioneer products sold on ebay.

Pioneer does NOT authorize any of its dealers to sell new products on eBay. Pioneer's agreements with its dealers prohibit sales on eBay. Accordingly, Pioneer does not offer its limited manufacturer's warranty or rebates for products purchased from any dealers on eBay.

Mine started doing this yesterday again, I erased my user data, fixed it temporarily but then started doing it last night. I tried finding the cause based on only having ipod connected, not having ipod conected, only having bluetooth connected, not having bluetooth connected, nothing connected, and it reboots no matter what I try.

It is really annoying.

Thus, I still dont know what is causing this damned reboot or how to fix it.

What is the turnaround time on sending it back to pioneer?

I updated my software to v2.0 the day before leaving for the Christmas visit with family. Mind you, my Avic worked fine for 4 months prior to doing the v2.0 firmware upgrade. 1 hour into the trip, listening to my sd card, I click the Map button and it's a stationary point that I don't recognize. Then it starts rebooting and did that for the 2 remaining hours of the drive. On the way back today, it rebooted for 3 hours.

Any way to go back to the previous version of the firmware? I'll take the start-up delay over this crap any day. I have also concluded that a lack of 'power' button sucks. Wish I could just turn it off. I could see someone getting into an accident trying to reset the rebooting system. It was a totally annoying distraction while driving. I can't believe I paid $1200 for this piece of crap stereo.

Pioneer time bomb. My unit failed yesterday too. The unit will boot, play music for 2-3 minutes, and reboot again. I'm never able to make it into the Nav portion because by the time the "starting up" message goes away the unit resets. When I peeked into the file system it seems like a lot of files were missing from the APL2 folder.

I've tried reloading the software to no avail. The missing files in the APL2 folder apparently do not reside in the update.

BTW - I've never modded any of the software on the unit.

Bought an f900bt from a reputable seller on Ebay. Had unit professionally installed. They did the hardware bypass for me. Unit worked great for about a week until I put the new 2.0 firmware on it. Now it reboots constantly when going over 10mph.

Sent unit back to ebay seller. He sent me another one. New unit is doing the same thing. New unit has the 2.0 firmware also. Conclusion, the 2.0 firmware started the rebooting issue.

The ebay seller I bought it from installs them also and says it has to do with the hardwire bypass and the 2.0 firmware.

Possible solutions to problem:

1. Reinstall update (I will try this today and report back)

2. Have installer undo hardware bypass (do software bypass instead if it fixes the reboot issue)

3. Jump off a cliff

4. Pray 1 or 2 fixes the problem

Does anyone have a similar scenario to mine?

*Update*

I thought the reinstall of the update worked but no go. It started rebooting this morning on my way to work. Stopped at Tim Hortons for coffee and disconnected the gps antenna and mic. It ran fine all the way to work. Peculiar. Still working on it. I think I will just go to solution no. 2.

I thought that if you disconnected your GPS antenna and got the rebooting to stop, that was a sign of a defective gyroscope. I think there are people here with the 2.0 upgrade and parking brake bypass who have functional units. I mention this because I undid my bypass and it still reboots. I need to send the unit to Pioneer to get it fixed. In between the constant rebooting, once in a while it would boot up normally and when it did and I pressed the map button, it was on a stationary point I didn't recognize. It did this even after I undid the bypass.

If you bought yours from an authorized dealer then good for you. They will fix it no problem if its the unit. I on the other hand tried to save some money and bought off ebay.

Is your unit an f900? My installer only sells the f90 and f700. He says they installs f90's all the time with the parking brake bypass and 2.0 software with no problems. I'm wondering if the problem is more apparent with the 900's.

• 3 weeks later...

:x

Well another one to the list, perhaps the more people we can get on here complaining about the unit the better customer service we will get as currently i am getting none, they want to repair the unit, but after 5 months of use and £800 i want a replacement immediately!

I don't think this is unfair but i've been to halfords who sold me the unit, my credit card company and PIONEER and they were all extreamly unhelpful about this issue!

The unit was not modded in anyway, shape or form! installed the 2.0 update from their website onto my SD card and the unit was fine for an hour and now constantly reboots every 2 minutes! The unit was working fine before the update. A conversation with Pioneer results in no help apart from a repair, i explained they didn't test their software fully on all units before releasing the update and they claim they do or they wouldn't be able to release it....Apparently they haven't ever heard of any other issue's like this and its a one off YEAH RIGHT. I give them the link to this post and they haven't got back to me with a fix i will be calling them tomorrow to talk to their head of department as the service im recieving from them is absolutely RUBBISH!!!!

Anyone else have any dealings with how to get money back or a replacement unit as my rights don't seem to warrent this after 5 months of using the product. In my eyes the product was released of an unsatisfactory state in the first place due to the boot up time and the amount of software issues, unfortunately i cannot see any of the fixes because mine doesn't even work now! Thanks Pioneer.

WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS ASAP PIONEER ARE BREAKING SOME SORT OF RULES HERE WE JUST NEED TO FIND A LOOPHOLE!!!!!

Steve