AVIC411.com

GPS Antenna metal plate & Lost GPS Signal

Hi,

Is the black metal plate that comes with the GPS antenna really needed ?

While mounting in my car under the dash I deformed it quite a bit.

Now my F700BT (with updated firmware) takes quite a while to lock on the satellites. Accuracy is reported to be "high" but it takes forever to lock and the signal strengths bars are yellow.

I'm thinking to relocate the antenna but I cannot use the metal plate anymore. If anybody know also where I can find a new one I will appreciate.

Thanks

-stoca

you need to relocate it. I am 100% positive that your signal is crap because it's under your dashboard. Mount it on your rear trunk or rear roof depending on what you drive. On my 350z I didn't want an antenna on my paint so I mounted it in the inside pressed up against my front windsheild in the center of the dash with double sided tape. It doesnt necessarliy need to be attatched to metal. That little pad st just to make things convenient. My signal never cuts out and it's mounted to a plastic dash. The difference is that there's only glass blocking the signal from the satellite to the antenna.

As with any GPS, it takes a little time for your GPS to acquire the satellites once you power up the system. It takes a little longer if your car is moving while it's trying to get a lock on them. If the antenna is blocked, it's going to take even longer. I would move it to the dash instead of in the dash.

Your problem isn't that you have the antenna mounted under the dash, it's because you don't have it far enough forward. Get it as close to the windshield as possible. Your dash is made of plastic and/or foam it's not going to interfere with GPS signal. But if you have it too far back the signal can be blocked by the roof depending on your orientation to the satellite. Mines been under the dash of my Magnum since day 1 w/o any issues. Just move it forward. Oh, and mine is mounted with Velcro to a plastic heating duct.

you need to relocate it. I am 100% positive that your signal is crap because it's under your dashboard. Mount it on your rear trunk or rear roof depending on what you drive. On my 350z I didn't want an antenna on my paint so I mounted it in the inside pressed up against my front windsheild in the center of the dash with double sided tape. It doesnt necessarliy need to be attatched to metal. That little pad st just to make things convenient. My signal never cuts out and it's mounted to a plastic dash. The difference is that there's only glass blocking the signal from the satellite to the antenna.

That is just wrong information. You can mount these under the dash very successfully...as I have four of them now mounted that way. The secret is, you need it as far forward as possible and you cannot have any metal whatsoever over the top of it. This method provides a very stealth installation and works extremely well with no drop outs.

Next, you do need the metal plate. It provides a ground plane. You can also use existing metal brackets and get by. But I went a bit further with my installations. I cut as large a piece of sheet metal...much heavier stuff than provided by pioneer...that would fit in my mounting area. I Velcro'd the metal to ducting, and stuck the antenna. My antenna signals improved in every instance by nothing more than using my new metal plates over the tin foil provided by Pioneer. I had Ducatiboy try the same thing and I believe he had the same results.

I installed professionally for years. I do know what I'm talking about. Youre right, metal will interfere with his signal since of course it can not penetrate it. There is tons of metal under the dash boards I made the assumption he probably got under some metal. Putting it where I told him will yeild great reults and is very unobtrusive. Also there is absolutley no need for a metal plate of any sort. The antenna is mounted to plastic in my car. Also antennas in every boat and RV I've installed on have been mounted to fiberglass.

Well, thanks for the advise/suggestions.

After a bit of experiments that's what I found out:

1. Positioning the antenna on the dash instead of outside made a difference.

This will depends on the stuff your car has under the dash. In my case

(mustang-07) signal was better on the dash that under. Roughly in the

same relative position.

2. The metal plate under the antenna (or any metallic surface for that

matter) does make a difference.

I put the antenna on the dash and outside with the GPS setting screen

I could definetely see that the signal strenght was bigger with the metal

plate than without.

3. At the end I found the best location. Here's the picture of he location.

I still have to improve the installation though, as I'm afraid water can

get into the car when raining.

post-20132-12872755894311_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...