AVIC411.com

SEVERE static/buzz when iphone 3g is close to the screen!!

Anyone else getting this? At first I thought it was an installation error and I ended up pulling my stereo like 3 times to make sure all the solders and connections were ok.

Intermittently my speakers will have a loud static/buzzing sound. I can actually take my iphone and the closer I put it to the screen the louder the buzz gets, and vice versa. I used to put it in my cup holder in front of the screen, but now I can't due to this, I have to either keep it in my pocket or put it inside the glove box.

So I'm reading that this is GSM buzz that's mainly when the phone is not in a 3g area. I can confirm that this happens in both 3g and edge areas, its very random.

I was reading about snap on ferrite cores from Radio shack and will give that a shot on my speaker leads.

I'm quite surprised that a search did not yield anyone else with these problems. I'm thinking maybe either my iphone or my F900BT is faulty.

Yep, totally normal, and nothing new (which is probably why you didn't find anything about it). Turning off Wifi can help sometimes, but usually it doesn't make enough of a difference to justify digging into the settings menu each time you get in and out of the car.

Better design can shield electrical components from interference, but ultimately there's really no way around it. Just keep your phone further from the headunit.

Man, that's a shame. And it seems the culprit is actually the F900BT not being shielded properly. I've owned the 3g since release and It's never ever caused buzz on anything with a speaker I put it next to, including the stock system in my car.

I'm going to try to put ferrite cores on the speaker leads coming out of the f900bt, and I might also put a static bag under the iphone. Otherwise it kind of sucks because I set up my ipod cable in my cup holder so my iphone stands up and it came out pretty cool.

I dont have this problem (well my iden phone causes some issues but Im not interested in fixing it) What Id try though if I cared about it was to connect a ground wire to the frame of the HU. All you need to create a shield is to have something metal and have it grounded. The ground creates a barrier. If theres enough metal in the frame of the HU then it may work. There may not be enough metal in the screen area to shield the front of the unit but its worth a try. The frame is generally grounded to the circuit board inside the unit. It might not be a good ground in this case and a ground wire should/might suppliment it and provide better shielding. If the shielding issue is inside the screen itself theres nothing that could be done except replacing the screen which of course you couldn't do. Its worth a try to hook up a wire though. Theres also shielding material that you could get and wrap the entire HU in it. Again if its a shielding issue in the screen though theres nothin you could do. Unless you cover the screen which uhhh thats not going to be a good idea lmao

Interesting, so you're saying to run a ground wire from the metal frame of the f900bt to a good ground? I'll give that a shot. I would also consider wrapping the f900bt (except of course the front screen), I'm wondering what to use, anti static wrapping? That's what seems to work for the iphone itself.

I dont have this problem (well my iden phone causes some issues but Im not interested in fixing it) What Id try though if I cared about it was to connect a ground wire to the frame of the HU. All you need to create a shield is to have something metal and have it grounded. The ground creates a barrier. If theres enough metal in the frame of the HU then it may work. There may not be enough metal in the screen area to shield the front of the unit but its worth a try. The frame is generally grounded to the circuit board inside the unit. It might not be a good ground in this case and a ground wire should/might suppliment it and provide better shielding. If the shielding issue is inside the screen itself theres nothing that could be done except replacing the screen which of course you couldn't do. Its worth a try to hook up a wire though. Theres also shielding material that you could get and wrap the entire HU in it. Again if its a shielding issue in the screen though theres nothin you could do. Unless you cover the screen which uhhh thats not going to be a good idea lmao

That won't do anything, don't waste your time.

I find it's typically worse when the iPhone is actively do something (searching for Wifi, syncing mail over EDGE/3G, etc.). Turning down your sync frequency and turning off Wifi may make the problem a nonissue for you.

If not, just move the iPod cable somewhere else. You can do everything from the F-Series (which is one of the selling points in my mind), so why not hide your phone away where it's safe and not visible to prying eyes?

so why not hide your phone away where it's safe and not visible to prying eyes?

Who leaves their phone in the car when they are not in the car?

As people have already said the buzzing is a standard thing when it comes to GSM and iDEN phones. That is why your phone ask you if you want to put it in airplane mode when you hook it up to the dock connector. Just think of it as an early warning that you are getting a call, text, or email. since it will create a lot of interference about 2-3 seconds before your phone responds with an alert

Not sure why you guys are confused, I do NOT leave my phone in my car when I'm not in it. I plug it in when getting in. Sure I can put my cable inside the center console, but it was nice having it in the cup holder so I could just get in the car and plop it into the holder, and have the phone standing up facing me. Keep in mind for phone calls you can't press the number keys for automated lines, voicemail functions, etc etc.

Mine is weird as it's not so much buzzing when I'm about to get a call or text, it's just completely random with no connection to calls/text or being in a 3g area or not.

Heres some shielding tape that you could try spinedoc

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics ... _Tape.html

Of course skicrave knows this won't work but the fact is if you can figure out exactly where the interference is getting into the unit and you shield that area it'll solve the problem. The trick is wheres it getting in. I couldnt even guess without having the unit here and pulling it apart. Im not telling you to pull your unit apart but Id be pulling off my screen and seeing if I could put a shield between the screen and the PCB's that are in the unit behind it. Like I said before it might be the screen itself or no way to shield the area that needs to be shielded and then youre stuck.

...and dont blow anything up or short anything out! (if you do it)

skicrave,

Of course this is a common problem that many people are dealing with, and it would be a hard issue to correct. However spinedoc has said that they pulled their unit already 3 times to try and fix it. This is someone thats obviously bothered by it enough to really want to try and fix it. My suggestion is just that, a "suggestion". Im not promising results. It's a lot better then you're idea of just move your cable to the trunk. Proper shielding in the proper area of any device will inhibit interference. Depending on the car the unit is installed in and/or how its installed, it is "possible" that the case of the unit is not getting a good ground. Unless you've tried it yourself and failed I could do without your "it won't work" comments thanks.