AVIC411.com

Ipod 2G / Iphone 3g charging -- a new solution

• 2 weeks later...

That is very cool, good find! but 30 bucks? God damn were not ripping anyone off are we. I spent almost that much for the ipod cable itself. Apple shoudl provide one of these for free if they plan to change things like this.

Question is, does it actually work with the avic series.

Yep, we had a grumble at work about this the other day.. Apple is quite blatant on nickel and diming accessories..

The two power specs are a bit different:

Firewire charging (AVIC, old style): 1.5A/25v

USB charging (iphone, new style): 500mA/5v

Apple did USB+Firewire charging in 2004. They discontinued Firewire charging in late 2005, about a month before the Z1 was released.

Probably just enough time for Pioneer to go "oh crap.."

2G iPhone will charge.

Actually, Pioneer's interface does Firewire charging, it's 12V, and works fine with the first gen iPhone.

Apple supported Firewire charging all the way up to 2007.

iPhone 3G and the 2nd gen iPod Touch and I think the new Nanos are the only Apple devices that don't support Firewire charging. Basically everything introduced this year doesn't support Firewire charging.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey all,

I purchased a cable from hifisoundconnection.com a while back. It allowed me to watch video from my ipod and charge at the same time. Very slick. Then I puchased a new Ipod Classic (6th Gen I believe) and the cable doesn't work. I read that only apple authorized cables work now. Has anyone who uses the cable below tried anything to get it to work with the new ipods. I've seen an adaptor listed here, but that only seems to take care of the charge problem on the pioneer Ipod uinit.

This is the cable I'm using.

Peripheral PXP01 Audio and Video Interface cable for iPod

Thanks for the help..

Me