AVIC411.com

New Update Soon

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pioneer rep was in yesterday and told us that a new update will be tuesday or wednesday. I have never got bad info from this guy before so hope it is true he said it will boot 10x faster , that sounds drastic but anything will be a improvement.

He probably meant 10% faster (in other words, not particularly noticeable.) I'm hopeful but pessimistic.

I REALLY hope this is true as I took the plunge on this unit knowing it had some major issues and looked to Pioneer to pay attention and fix things. The rumor mill is swirling about this Tuesday update... I am excited yet trying not to set my hopes too high. I suppose we will all see in a few days... :?:

There is no way they can improve the boot time that much.

They might be able to shorten it slightly, maybe reorder how certain apps launch so you get sound earlier, but WinCE is really slow to boot, that's something you got to live with.

While I wait for my unit to arrive I went down to Best Buy to play with the one they have setup and it works pretty well. I guess the test is when its installed, but it's definitely not as bad as people make it out to be.

Either way, bug fixes in general is a good thing and what's better is to see Pioneers continual support for this unit.

While I wait for my unit to arrive I went down to Best Buy to play with the one they have setup and it works pretty well. I guess the test is when its installed, but it's definitely not as bad as people make it out to be.

I played with a unit at BB as well before getting mine but trust me when I tell you there is a BIG difference in playing with a store unit for 5-10 minutes and actually using one that you own everyday. Things can always be worse but for a new product line, this thing was released WAY before it should have been.

They might be able to shorten it slightly, maybe reorder how certain apps launch so you get sound earlier, but WinCE is really slow to boot, that's something you got to live with.

I disagree and here's why:

WinCE starts slow because like regular windows it's designed to run many different apps that can be possible to be used on this OS, it also probably has some unnecessary libraries that make it more compatible with different types of hardware.

MS knows that other radio developers are paying close attention to the Avic because a solution like this can possibly save the cost of producing a cost effective, feature rich systems for both car based audio as well as home systems.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Pioneer engineers worked with MS WinCE team to strip the OS of all unnecessary stuff that boots on Avic and to speed up the system so that everything but the Navi loads first unless the last session ended in the middle of navigating to a certain destination like for example happens during a gas and meal stops. Sure, it won't be instantaneous like a hardware solution, but it may be quick enough that for all intents and purposes the startup may no longer be annoying.

I'd be happy with 10 seconds to music from AM/FM/CD source, 15 seconds to control of radio/cd, 20 seconds to usb/ipod/blue tooth, 30 seconds to navi. If they customize it enough, there is no reason for it not to be that fast. Heck, 30-40 seconds is how quick a fresh install of WinXP starts so Avic shouldn't be any slower.

Even stripping out some of the non needed components it's not going to speed it up.

WinCE does take time, the Avic unit will be running a lot, even to get the satnav working will require most of them loaded.

My bet is that they improve something like audio playback earlier, so once it starts you start to hear say your HD or XM radio while the system boots.

Also the software and hardware is designed by MiTac and as much as I can believe they worked with MS to help to improve, there is only so much they can do.

If it was able to boot in 10 seconds flat it would have done it from day one. Of course if it does after this update I'll eat my cap, but I'm confident that it won't.

The display units will not appear to have any problems because it's been on all day. Don't forget, the main problem is the boot time, which happens only when you turn the car on. After 20 minutes of it being on, it works normal, so those display ones can't be taken into account. Also to the fellow hackers, I wouldn't jump right into the new update as there's still no confirmation as to whether Pioneer added a Test mode lock or not.

Yea im not even going to consider the update until I know I can maintain my hacks. And if I cant, then Im not concerned with what they fixed. There is so much more potential with the F series as an open system. As far as Im concerned, we have fixed quite a bit already.

In regards to the boot up time being decreased, the only real fix is to allow it to enter sleep mode/low power mode for say 24 hours before shutting down completely, same thing laptops or the current windows mobile phone's do.

This would explain why it woudl "start up" in 25 seconds, it would rather just be a resume rather then a full cold boot.

I have been wondering why this wasn't the case upon releaes. I mean one can argue oh it will kill your battery and leave you screwed. But has anyone turned your car on, then off after a few seconds and the display on the f series stays on for 3 or 4 seconds bfore turning off? This proves the unit si capable of running on the +12v battery wire and not hte accessory.

A lower power standby where i tjust leaves RAM powered on, not the amps/screen etc just like a laptop woudl make perfect sense, especially if the average person who drives their car at least once per day. I mean how long can your small laptop run in hibernation/standby on battery?

So, I think its logical they perfected this, therefore its very reasonable to assume this is the case.