AVIC411.com

I LOVE the features of the 90bt. I was almost immediately sold on this unit when I read the features. This is just about exactly what I'm looking for in a double-din GPS. However, some of the downsides are keeping me a bit held back from buying it. I know there has been firmware to address some issues. I won't be using an iPod with it, just CDs, so I think that's a 30 second bootup time?

The other negative side is the screen size. I was hoping for a full 7 inch screen, but maybe if I saw this in person it wouldn't be such a deal break for me.

Here are the features that I wouldn't want any less of:

Bluetooth Hands-Free BUILT IN

DVD, CD playback

Custom Colors

HDD Nav

Caller ID on screen

Ability to listen to CD's while getting voice directions

Voice Input to play music or call someone

POI Creator

Is there any other GPS out there that I could buy that has a bigger screen, and perhaps a faster boot-up time? I don't care what company makes it.

Also, a huge downside for me was the inability to play DVDs or change your destination while driving. However, I did see that you can override that through software, so that is no longer an issue.

Any information is so greatly appreciated. I'm really anxious to buy, my new 08 Tiburon has a double-din built in but only a lowly Kenwood cd player that is begging to be replaced by a nice NAV screen. :)

Thanks!!

nope... the screen is fine... its 1.2 inches smaller than say the z series, but still does the job.

nobody else has those features that i know of, and definitely not for the price.

i've gotten used to the boot time, so its really a non-issue for me, and eventually will be for you too

Thanks for the quick reply :).

The price was one huge factor for me. It was such a difference from the other ones I was looking at. The Z-3 looked really nice though, I like the route-learning capabilities.

I do also like the turn dial for the volume and ability to zoom with it. That takes up a bit of where the screen would be, but I guess it's not really an issue.

So your audio CD starts up in 5 seconds? Is there a way to pause or stop it? From a video I saw it will display "system startup in progress" for at least 30 seconds. Are you able to control the CD during that time?

Also I just read that you can't use bluetooth for at least 2 minutes after the car is started up? Is that true?

I know there is also another firmware update coming from what I read, but I thought it was due in August?

Thanks again!!

Edit:

Also, just read this on the forum:

When pushing buttons it takes a long time for the system to repsond.

Phone does not show who's calling only number even though the names are downloaded.

This was posted after the July Firmware.. assuming this guy had it installed. When you receive a call does it really not say who is calling?

Very true. The hi-res screen was a big plus for me. I have a small car too, so it might look better with a smaller screen size.

The only issues above that still hold me back is that it doesn't show who is calling you on the screen, is that true?

I heard there is a firmware update imminent, so it would be real nice to get a heads-up on what exactly is coming before I buy.

Also-- Does the voice recognition for "play artist" only work for iPods or can you use that with an SD card or a DVD as well?

I'm about ready to buy, but I just want to get a heads-up on the above issues. With the price of this unit with the ebay cash back, this thing is an absolute must-buy for close to $500.

If anyone can clear my mind about the above issues, I would be ready to buy.

Thanks!!

The only thing right now that is holding me back is that it doesn't show who is calling, is this true?

That depends on whether caller ID info on the phone is tramsitted exactly the same as what the unit stores for the contact. If the numbers exactly match, it will show the name. If not, only the number. Contact database can be edited, however...

One last thing... does the bluetooth work with any phone, or do you need "bluetooth 2.0" in your phone? Is there a list of supported phones? I just want to be sure mine would work.

Also, kind of important question that I want to make sure I understand.. Can you search for a POI by category? I thought I read that you couldn't.. that would kind of be a deal breaker for me. So If I wanted a gas station can I bring up a menu that has a list of types of POI's and show gas stations?

POI search by category is there.

Theoretically, it should work with any phone (BT 2.0 not needed, as long as handsfree or headset profiles are supported), but some people are having problems. Since bluetooth module is Parrot, at least it probably can be fixed...