AVIC411.com

Over the weekend my F-900BT died :( I was driving to numerous places and just as I was leaving the last place to go home, when I started my car the typical splash screen came up and this the screen just went blank. I tried to reboot a few times by turning off the car and restarting but had no luck so I tried the reset button... again no luck. I called Pioneer and their only response was to have me send the unit in. This sucks!!!

I'll update on what happens here.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not the fuse. I checked and there is power. Everytime I turn the key to ACC the unit starts up like normal with the splash screen and the button and knob illumination lights up and then after about 10 seconds the screen goes blank and the button and knob illumination goes dead but I still hear the fan on the unit running. I tried to boot into testmode to see if I could get into Windows but that didn't work either.

I just finished ripping the unit out of my dash and I slapped in my old radio. Time to mail the POS out.

I'm curious to find out what Pioneer will do. I'm also wondering if they'll see my data.zip and do anything about it. I'm still running the data.zip that I posted a few months ago. There were other changes I wanted to make but I got busy with work and never got around to it.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I got my F-900BT back last week and it is up and working again. I was disappointed that Pioneer never bothered to call or email me on the status of my HU the entire time it was out. I also have no clue what was wrong with the unit... Pioneer's repair invoice simply said 'Software Reloaded'. Nothing else!

It did come back with the 2.0 firmware already loaded. When I have time I'll get around to backing up the unit again and redoing some the changes I had from before to my data.zip file.

so basically your messing about with it looks like it messed it up :)

lucky i'd say.

I was wondering the same thing.

So Vorian, for the record - you've messed with the data.zip file previously, and then after having trouble with the unit, you wondered why that may have happened?

I personally don't have the working knowledge enough to be messing around with the internals of my F90, but if I did, and then it started acting funny or bricked out, I would have a hard time scratching my head and wondering why that may have happened.

Trust me, I have all the respect in the world for you guys that can work on all these files in these units, and frankly wish I could do the same and customize them to the inth; but that said, when you start to mess with 'em - it shouldn't be a big surprise if they take a dump on you.

I'm glad you got yours back and that it's working again, but it seems the risk you take when you begin to modify the files within.

Cheers,

Kev

so basically your messing about with it looks like it messed it up :)

lucky i'd say.

I was wondering the same thing.

So Vorian, for the record - you've messed with the data.zip file previously, and then after having trouble with the unit, you wondered why that may have happened?

I personally don't have the working knowledge enough to be messing around with the internals of my F90, but if I did, and then it started acting funny or bricked out, I would have a hard time scratching my head and wondering why that may have happened.

Trust me, I have all the respect in the world for you guys that can work on all these files in these units, and frankly wish I could do the same and customize them to the inth; but that said, when you start to mess with 'em - it shouldn't be a big surprise if they take a dump on you.

I'm glad you got yours back and that it's working again, but it seems the risk you take when you begin to modify the files within.

Cheers,

Kev

Umm... Not quite the way you guys put it. I, with the help of others on this forum, changed my data.zip file to remove the blue boxes, make the clock bigger and easier to read by changing its color and some other small cosmetic changes. Nothing I did affected the rest of the unit outside of the GPS app. My head unit COMPLETELY died. I know the I am NOT the only one that has changed their data.zip and I don't know of anyone else's HU going dead from any changes.

Have same problem/.How long have you owned the F900 and what did Pioneer charge?

I have had my unit since the first week of June and any changes I made were done by the end of August. It operated for almost 3 months with no other changes before it died. Pioneer did whatever they did for nothing.

I no longer have the receipt for my 900. Did pioneer ask or just honor it becuase it is less than a yr old?Thanks

When I called them they needed my serial number and when I sent it in they wanted a copy of a receipt or invoice. Since I bought it online I just printed out my email receipt which was good enough for them.

vorian,

I realize you're not the only one that has worked with the data.zip files here on the site. I am merely saying that as with ANY electronic device, when one "messes" with them, funny things MAY happen.

Just as your home computer may be working fine for weeks or months and then just as suddenly freeze up, run slowly, become buggy, etc. due to running different software or having the hard drive worked on - so to these units might react the same way when folks like you do funky things to them.

There are so many variables as to why yours did what it did, when it did; it's probably near impossible to figure out why. Just as when others say their phones don't connect, their iPods suddenly drop, their navigation is weird, etc.

As a John Bender once so famously said: "It's an imperfect world, screws fall out all the time."

I'd be interested to know if ktchup did ANYthing to the unit as well.

Anyway, glad you got the unit working gratis - courtesy of Pioneer.