AVIC411.com

Official 2.0 Firmware Opinion/Results Thread

I wonder how difficult or costly it is for Pioneer to ask iGo or whoever does the map interface layout to make the requested features. If its easy why the 2d map doesn't have the option to change map orientation from north always up as well as quick access to the navigation menu settings from the map itself. It is really annoying to go main menu - navigation - then settings you want. A quick button on the map screen would be nice.

Also, adding a mode for presets to the wired remote interface would be nice.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

with bluetooth:

i have a Verizon Razr2 V9M. before the update my phone book tranferred easily on the first try. after I did the BT update it took me about 20 tries before it finally worked. the first 19 tries either gave me a "No Telephone Number" error or would start loading data and then the unit would restart.

thats whats happening to me, i keep getting this "NO TELEPHONE NUMBER" message and it just cancels the phonebook transfer (i used windows mobile, which was a flawless experience before) and with phone like the razr it had duplicate contacts and other issues. now it doesnt transfer at all. THIS SUCKS! it was perfect before this. and also so far the bluetooth sound quality is worse. i hear more noise similar to the ORIGINAL firmware which was unusable. Not as bad but its a step backwards for sure.

is it possible or safe to DOWNGRADE THE BLUETOOTH firmware back?

Installed 2.0 today, everything works well.

Boot time less than 30 secs and touch screen response is much faster.

Bluetooth is much better. My Sony phone paired right up and phonebook transfer was a snap. Contacts are now include Home, Office, Cell and etc.

When making calls the phone management box is always there and several people remarked about the sound being better on their end.

Samantha no longer say turn right on 370 Highway 370. She just says turn right on Highway 370, much better. So far i am very happy with this release. Only thing that I would still like fixed is HD and Sirius presets to have station info and the disabling of the built-in AM and FM when the HD unit is plugged in. Even the $300 Pioneer Radios do this.

with bluetooth:

i have a Verizon Razr2 V9M. before the update my phone book tranferred easily on the first try. after I did the BT update it took me about 20 tries before it finally worked. the first 19 tries either gave me a "No Telephone Number" error or would start loading data and then the unit would restart.

thats whats happening to me, i keep getting this "NO TELEPHONE NUMBER" message and it just cancels the phonebook transfer (i used windows mobile, which was a flawless experience before) and with phone like the razr it had duplicate contacts and other issues. now it doesnt transfer at all. THIS SUCKS! it was perfect before this. and also so far the bluetooth sound quality is worse. i hear more noise similar to the ORIGINAL firmware which was unusable. Not as bad but its a step backwards for sure.

Yes, you can easily donwgrade to the alternate bluetooth version. Just download the files, copy to the SD card and install it. Simply replaces the 3 files on the unit, and you are good to go.

with bluetooth:

Yes, you can easily donwgrade to the alternate bluetooth version. Just download the files, copy to the SD card and install it. Simply replaces the 3 files on the unit, and you are good to go.

so you mean to the provided ALTERNATE bluetooth file. how would i go back to the ONE i had before? im guessing i cant since its not available...

o okay, 2.9 is the older version.... NICE .

UPDATE:

Not sure what causes this from the PHONE's side. but after downgrading the bluetooth to 2.9 the same NO TELEPHONE NUMBER comes up. Something is not communicating. In fact prior to this, windows mobile would ASK me to allow the Navi permission to access contacts. Now it does not. So ill hard reset my phone and upgrade back.

Being a day one purchaser, this update brings the unit to what my original expectations were. The overall usability is improved and it is very nice to have the contacts transfer without major issues.

GPS - MUCH better without the blue boxes

Bluetooth - seems worse on my iPhone 3g as people are having a much harder time hearing me. I wish they would fix it so the unit changes to GPS mode while on the phone and make the box transparent so you can see the entire GPS screen (i hate how it covers the ETA so you can't tell the person on the phone when you will be there).

Unit itself - MUCH better boot times, button response, etc.

Things I would like to see on future updates:

1. Improve the ipod screen so it isn't so plan (very old looking for such a new unit.

2. Fix the Sirus interface so you can get all the data and doesn't look so freaking old

3. Get real traffic updates. 9.5 times out of 10 the traffic information is incorrect. I normally have to use google maps on my iphone to get real traffic data

4. Better over the air radio interface, dress it up already and give me song information like any newer radio can handle.

Again, this brings the unit to what I had expected from the unit on day one. Hopefully this isn't the last update we get as there is much more work to do to make this the best unit on the market.

So the unit still locks up 33% of the time after disconnecting a call (lockup lasts about 60 seconds or so).

Also, this is annoying, and did not happen pre 2.0 update, but when you go into ipod control, select artist, then choose an artist and start playing... when you click menu, you expect it to go back to the artists song list. Nope, it goes back to the very top menu!! LAME!

It boots fast enough now I suppose, but the lag is still a a problem. I should never ever have to press a button twice to get something to work. I constantly find myself pushing and pushing buttons to get a feature to work.

I've installed the new firmware per the instructions. When my unit rebooted after successfully installing, it flashed the pioneer screen, and then it all went black.

Per the instructions, I have tried all the variations of resetting the unit. Holding the reset button 5+ seconds, holding reset button & eject button 5+ secs, holding the eject button.... etc. etc.

Here's the weird part: When my unit boots, and then goes black, after about 20 seconds or so, I can press the Map button, which takes me to the disclaimer, and then i can do everything with my system.

Also weird: if I do the above, and play the radio, the next time I boot, the screen is and stays black, but the music will play. Black screen doesn't go away until I do the above.

Has anyone had this problem? I see almost nothing but success in the other 2.0 threads....

Update fixed alot of things.

Still things need to be fixed. I know i am repeating a few people.

Navigation needs to tell you what side of the road the destination is on.

Navigation needs to have the arrow always facing up and have the compass move.

Less Frequent directions...

Clock on the Map screen is VERY hard to read, and is too small on the ipod screen.

An option on the touchscreen while you are on the phone through the speakers to change back to the headset.

Problems:

Hit or Miss with the ipod Voice commands.

about 75% of the time I will say Play artist "x" and it will say "playing artist x" but play a random song not by artist "x"

This happens with Play Playlist "x" as well. It will say "playing playlist "x" and then still play a random song not in any playlist.

Any ideas???

I have my itunes flawless and every song is the correct Name and Artist.

tiesto,

Have you added/deleted songs on your iPod since the last time you had the Pioneer reload the VR system? Or do you have the VR system load each time you drive your car?

If not, this is what will happen. ANY time you make a change to your iPod, and have the VR system off, you must remember to turn it on and let the VR reload your iPod contents - otherwise the order is out of whack from what it thinks it knows; thus you get random songs.

If you have the VR system as "OFF" (which is recommended as it takes the iPod portion longer to boot up and become workable) remember to turn it on again and resync your iPod. That should take care of your issues on random song playing. I have started to update it just once a week or so so I don't have to constantly worry about "resyncing" it each time.

I feel bad for all the folks that have all these weird, funky things happening to their unit. I have had mine installed for about a week and a half and thus far (touching wood here!) EVERYTHING works flawlessly! iPod never locks up, Bluetooth phone connects each time, and is perfect in sounds and features, nav system is just fine with me (seems like a lot of folks live and die with all the little idiosycnricies (sp?) of this part, but I never rely on a electronic unit to have to lead me right to the front door of any destination. Get me close and I'll figure it out.)

iPod, XM, HD Radio, DVD movies VR, Bluetooth hands-free, Navigation - this unit thus far has made me a very happy camper. I hope everyone out there gets theirs figured out and has as great an experience as I am having!

Cheers,

Kevin

This thing is still crap. Sorry to be honest with those people who are happy with it, but it still has MAJOR problems. You are just living with the problems if they don't bother you.

Before 2.0 update, the IPOD would just drop out completely and give the error message that it lost connection.

Now with 2.0, the friking thing half the time isn't even recognized at bootup. You have to unplug the cable and reconnect it to get it working. I have already reported Pioneer to the better business bureau and they have attempted to call me twice but I was not available at the phone.

Also what is with the stupid SD card not showing any titles on the main screen but showing them on the map screen, and the SD card starting over at the beginning every time? How could anyone think that is acceptable?

This product is poor, inferior, and the AVIC Z3 COMPLETELY destroys this thing in every single aspect. Even the Navigation sucks on this thing compared to the Z3.