AVIC411.com

iphone 3g, does it charge or not with F series?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the response I received from Pioneer, talk about adding to the confusion. So whats the deal?

Quote email Response from Pioneer rep:::

No, the F series does not support this.

Thank You,

Clark

Customer Service Representative

--Original Message--

Date: 10/31/08

To: customer.support@pioneerservice.com

Subject: Hook up and Operation|B00002|3013051387[#1212943]

(removed contact information for me)

Inquiry Type:Hook up and Operation

lstPublishers:0002

lstTitles:B00002-Car Products-Navigation

Inquiry:I have a Pioneer F series F900BT 2.0 firmware and an Iphone 3g with the 2.1 firmware.

The iphone3g has a charging status indicator that says it is charging. However the battery power level never increases and it actually loses power it doesn't matter how long it is plugged in.

I know the iphone 3g changed from firewire to usb charging pins, however the iphone typically sees this and says charging is not supported and is disabled with this device.if that was the case. Instead it says its charging.

Does the F series support this being that is plugged into a usb power port just like any other computer?

Thanks

The answer is, I know mine works. I doubt I'm one of (what appears to be two) a limited set of people that have units that act differently. I'm guessing it's because I'm using a cable that Apple designed for the new USB charging protocol, whereas the Pioneer cable was designed for the deprecated Firewire charging protocol.

Maybe try the new USB cable that came with your phone to see if that charges it (obviously you won't get audio), and that will answer your question?

I just installed my F900bt (and updated to 2.0) yesterday (took out my D1) and went for a drive (about 45 minutes). My 3g iPhone connected via the Pioneer cable definitely had a stronger battery charge indicator when I got home vs when I left. It sure looks like it's charging to me.

Tom

You say your using the cable apple designed cable? Is that the apple branded cable that is essentially the same thing rca outs with a usb plug?

I tried it again today, I had a half drained battery, plugged it in to my unit, just to rule out too much battery drain for it to charge, I put it in air plane mode.

The indicator was there, saying it was charging. After 45 minutes zero change in battery level, still half way point.

I then plugged it into my iphone compatible car charger, and it was nearly fully charged after 20 minutes.

The cable for the f series seems to work fine in all areas, and it does charge the older 2nd gen ipod nano just fine.

So one would assume then, it isn't working for me for some reason. Maybe there is a different revision of cables going around? Some support the new spec while others don't? Can't really figure this out and pioneer is no help.

So if you could tell me what cable your using from apple I would appreciate it skicrave.

Thanks

OK I just found another post regarding the cable, that would be the apple composite AV cable, I will buy that and try it out see how it works.

I can't stand it when something is screwed up, especially now that 2.0 firmware is out and most everything works great. Nothing like have ripples in the calm sea.

I purchased the Official Apple Composite cable for the ipod. It works great! I actually saw the charge indicator climb in as little as 10 minutes!

So this begs the question, did I have a defective Pioneer cable or does it really just not support it.

Well regardless this answered both, the Apple composite cable works perfectly with the F series with no compromise and that it actually charges it.

I will do a more through test tomorrow, let the battery get knocked down to say 30 percent and see where it is after an hour of charging on it.

If it works which it looks very promising I will finally have a unit that has no quirks and I am finally extremely happy and proud of.

Thanks for the ideas.

• 5 months later...
Some of you people get some strange problems, my iphone 3g definitly charges and it seems to do it fairly quickly. My battery was nearly half dead and after 45 minutes of driving with it plugged in using cable CD-IU230V it was nearly fully charged after less than an hour.

Here's a Link to my Post. I have both the CD-IU230V and the Apple Composite AV cable. Check the link:

http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 28#p159328

I ended up buying the apple composite cable and it charged fine after that, the pioneer cable I bought seems to have been defective, my main point in the end was not knowing if it charged given the changes with the unit vs older standards.

But point is, yes the unit charges it just fine, just have a cable that hits all the right pins, the one I had seemed to have had issues with the connector, a weird warmping with the pins, you could actually see it.

Mine charges have 3g and pioneer cable. Its slow as hell but it charges. For you guys that dont think it charges you might be using your phone a lot.

I've discovered that sometimes mine charges, sometimes it does not. I suspect that it has to do with the fact that my phone is Jailbroken. Since it is jailbroken, it drains the battery faster. Probably faster than the Stereo can charge it.

For those having charging problems, what cable are you using and is it jailbroken?

• 1 month later...

I see that this thread is kind of dead, but I came across it when researching this problem. I have a Pioneer system with the CD-IB200 iPod interface and I was experiencing the reported charging issues, but I just found this kit that fixes it perfectly. I got it from CableJive and it works great. I recommend anyone who is having this problem to check it out.

http://cablejive.com/charge-converter