AVIC411.com

New Features on the Z4

What new feature do you think should be added to the Z4?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What new feature do you think should be added to the Z4?

• Full Screen 3D Map Mode
    • Auto Dimming based on Time
    • Scrolling Music/Artist Titles
    • Ability to Search by Intersection
    • Faster iPod Interface
    • Other: Please post your answers

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see the screen auto dimming as well, too bright at night. Also with all the technology out there...Pioneer, how about an add-on for the weather with weather maps to integrate with the traffic. How about better maps, like Google with the capability to see the buildings, etc. How about red light cameras and photo camera locations, speed traps.

XM weather would be nice without buying an additional reciever.

As for the auto dimming feature, I would be just happy with an option to set the dimming based on time of day.

For example, Where I can just have it so that between 7am to 5pm, it stays full bright no matter if I have my head lights on or not.

Its a problem for me when I use my headlights during the day because it rains, and the unit dims. (some members on the forum solved this by adding a bypass switch for the illumination wire).

The navigation radio from the Pontiac Vibe had the service reminders and also a calendar with simple PDA functions in it as well. That would be pretty handy.

I think it would be nice if like the JVC navigation, it would display the speed limit on the screen.

It is kind of strange the Z doesn't have auto dimming. The D1/D2 had auto-dimming with a photocell sensor on the front panel. It's always a shame when a newer unit loses a feature that was found on an older one.

^^ Really? I was unaware the older D units had photocell sensors for auto dimming!

I'm thinking either the Z series is going to be scraped by Pioneer.

I have not heard any rumors or any sneak/spy shots of a new revised Z4 unit so I'm thinking that the Z series is going to be done by 2009.

Or knowing pioneer, they'll probably include a map update and call it Z4 :roll:

Not only related to the z series but a digital tv tuner.And a spectrum analyser like on my avh 7500; I hate looking at a static image.

Is it just me or do new head unit keep loosing feature found on older models.No tv tuner, no spectrum analyser, no dolby digital/dts surround ,no ability to play dvd audio disc(not coverting to 2.0 surround)(I have over 50 dvd audio discs.)and I'm certain I forgetting other stuff.

But it has navigation and a hard drive for music storage for less money than the 7500 was new! Gotta lose something or it would be like 5 grand

Not only related to the z series but a digital tv tuner.And a spectrum analyser like on my avh 7500; I hate looking at a static image.

Is it just me or do new head unit keep loosing feature found on older models.No tv tuner, no spectrum analyser, no dolby digital/dts surround ,no ability to play dvd audio disc(not coverting to 2.0 surround)(I have over 50 dvd audio discs.)and I'm certain I forgetting other stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
A switch to NAVTEQ would be the only way to get better maps and routing. This would no longer make a Z4 backward compatible but would finally make it a NEW model and not just updated maps.

What do you mean, backward compatible? Are you saying you would need new hardware for thing like the XM traffic? Other then that why would you care if you your system could not load the old maps? I guess you are worried about the Z1-3 not getting the new maps (forward compatible). If the maps and system are done in SW they may be able to just change the maps and routing algorithm in the Z#-->4 update. But there may be a HW limitation to it.