AVIC411.com

Confused Buyer...need some help deciding

Hello. I am so glad I came across this forum. I am looking for a newNav/Radio system. I Currently have a Ken**** and don't really like it...however I do like the new ones with Garmin Nav system.

I am totally confused on what to buy. I want as much bang for the buck as I can get and I would really like it to interface smoothly with my Iphone 3G.

I looked at the F90BT, but I don't like the smaller screen. So I moved on to the Z3, but when I started doing some research on it...I could not find much difference in it and the Z2?

Is there any difference, can the Z2 be upgraded to a Z3 or it there a hardware change?

Do all the units have input to allow for steering wheel controls?

Thanks for your help.

The only real big differences between the Z2 and the Z3 is that the voice activation is a little better, and the maps are updated. The Z1 AND Z2 can both be upgraded to a Z3 fairly painlessly.

You can get a wiring harness for the Z units for steering wheel input.

I'm not sure about the iPhone, I don't have one myself, never will. Maybe someone else can chime in on that for you.

Welcome to the forums!

I would recommend buying a preloaded drive from one of the forum members. It's probably the cheapest way, both mentally and on your wallet. Really, it's worry free! And there's plenty of people around here who can personally attest to that. See the following link for details: http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14915

You could also update the firmware yourself, this is what I did and it cost me about 65 dollars for a new drive and the hardware to hook it into my desktop.

Another option would be to buy an upgrade disc from Pioneer. It's about 250 dollars and is a pain in the ass.

Also, really try to get a Z1. It's the same exact hardware as a Z3.

• 2 months later...

I found the 700BT for $650 in the store, the 900BT for 899 in-store, and I'm still on the fence.

The Z3 is available online for cheap, and other places list the 700-900 units for a couple-few hundred under the stores, but the stores charge double and more to install if I carry the box in.

I'd do it all myself, but I work and study too much, and I like the warranty with the install.

It seems like the units for <1000 are not worth bargain shopping, as the extra install fees really make it equal (or within 100-150 total), but the higher-end models are available for significantly less.

I'm not really going to play PS3 in the car, nor will i likely watch DVDs in my 2-seater, but I love the online services and extra functions the 900 has over the 7.

Are the volume bugs and other issues really that prominent? I have only paid for the bracket thus far, and I can still take that bracket to another shop for the ken***d unit before it's too late. Thoughts?

Are the extra dollars really worth it?

So far if I just do the Bestbuy/Circuit city deal i'm looking at about 800-850 for install and parts on the 700, and about 1050-1100 on the 900BT.

Add 130 for the steering wheel control adaptor kit and Viola! I'm at about 1250+tax for the 900BT and 1000+tax for the 700BT.

Compared to the prices on the units 6 months ago it doesn't sound horrible, but if anyone knows where to get the 900bt for 500 bux do tell!

I found this link, but I usually don't buy my car stereos online, so I hesitate.

http://

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_133 ... gn=froogle

the shop said they'd charge "about 200" if i buy online, 100 in store.

Oh, and for the other new guy: I was searching for the perfect iPhone interface unit, but that topic is currently being addressed at the convention.

Instead of waiting (and dropping 2x the $), I'm going to use the phone via bluetooth to, well, talk, and I'm going to use either the old school iPod or a 4/8/16 gig USB stick connected to the back for tunes. That should work for now.

Additionally, if someone wanted to get the lighter to AC adaptor and hide a 250 Gig HD in the glove box that someone would have one heck of an mp3 library rigged into the back of the unit. That just sounds like FUN!