AVIC411.com

MSN - is it worth it?

Okay, FINALLY I have everything that I need to do the install next weekend. Actually, a shop is going to do the install but I aquired everything to reduce costs. I have two questions before taking in my vehicle for the install that I'm hoping can be answered:

1. Is MSN Direct worth it? That is, is this nice to have?

2. Being that I'm bringing everything to the shop, do I need to buy anything for them to install my F90BT so that it gets MSN Direct? I remember reading something about an antenna splitter. Being that my car came with XM, I don't have a traditional antenna, does this matter?

Anything that you guys can help me with before I take me vehicle in next week would be greatly appreciated because I will probably need to supply everything that is needed (unless they happen to carry it in stock) and I certainly don't want to have to take my car back in later for something that could be done at one time.

An XM antenna and an FM antenna are completely different. Chances are that you will need an adapter to go from your cars FM antenna to the Avic. Its also very unlikely you'll be able to use the XM antenna already in the car, but its hard to say without knowing which car you have.

Your best bet is to perform the hardware bypass before you take it to the shop. Its pretty simple, lots of tutorials. Also, don't forget to bring the right steering wheel remote control adapter if you want that installed as well.

As far as MSN, I think there is a three month trial, but I could be mistaken.

Okay, FINALLY I have everything that I need to do the install next weekend. Actually, a shop is going to do the install but I aquired everything to reduce costs. I have two questions before taking in my vehicle for the install that I'm hoping can be answered:

1. Is MSN Direct worth it? That is, is this nice to have?

2. Being that I'm bringing everything to the shop, do I need to buy anything for them to install my F90BT so that it gets MSN Direct? I remember reading something about an antenna splitter. Being that my car came with XM, I don't have a traditional antenna, does this matter?

Anything that you guys can help me with before I take me vehicle in next week would be greatly appreciated because I will probably need to supply everything that is needed (unless they happen to carry it in stock) and I certainly don't want to have to take my car back in later for something that could be done at one time.

1) MSN in my opinion is worth it if you live in a big city as it can route you around road construction, etc., other than that most of the other info such as the weather, and movie times I don't have much use for. Myself living in Montana don't see a lot of use for the MSN.

2) I'm not sure but you might have to have a traditional antenna to recieve MSN and you'll surely need it to recieve FM and AM. I don't think your stock XM antenna will work with the Pioneer unit, you'll have to use the Pioneer antenna that comes with the unit.

Next week I will have an xm tuner installed for my F90BT. I will not be adding HD Radio. In order to get MSN Direct, I wouldn't need an additional antenna besides what will be installed next week will I? If so, why would that be due to the fact that I now get both XM and FM/AM with just the one antenna which resides on the roof of my 07 Chevy Equinox?

As for my desire to have MSN Direct, I live in Tampa and spend about an hour and a half commuting every day on the interstate which is one of the reasons that I'm interested in MSN Direct (traffic updates). I also like the idea of seeing updated gas station prices and weather.

I honestly would say no as the traffic is never correct. I typically look at Google Maps on my iPhone to see the real traffic conditions.

Case in point, 9.5 times out of 10 I can be sitting in bumper to bumper traffic and the AVIC will show all green on the freeway where google maps shows red.

MSN is only available in very limited markets too. So unless you are in that market or have one close by, it is worthless. I am outside of Ocean City, MD... The closest MSN service is in Baltimore... Two and a half hours away.

You would figure, with everyone that is using GPS, that MSN would be everywhere.

First, the equinox has three antennas (cell, radio, & XM), second you can use the factory XM antenna if you like, one of two ways:

1)no cost, take apart GM farka connection (remove white piece and spread the inside, connector will pull out), then put inside Pioneer pink connector

***this limits location to very near to factory XM location or

2)buy factory XM antenna adapter

http://www.myradiostore.com/antennas-cables/for-cables-miscellaneous/gm-single.html

-Jimbo

orange man

go to : https://www.msndirect.com/Activate/EnterProductKey.aspx

put in the key provided to you on your headunit when you go to msn direct and test it for 3 months free... you'll then know if you need it or not, and if its worth it...

Perhaps you ought to read my post again. I don't have the unit installed yet. The whole point of asking about whether MSN Direct is worth it is because IF I need to have anything installed differently or need to purchase anything to make MSN work, I just wnat to get an idea of whether it's worth the time and/or expense of doing so.

Bascially all I need to know right now is in order to get MSN Direct, other than activating the unit, is there anything that the shop has to do during the installation? Again, all I'm having done is installing xm (not HD Radio).

Yes, I think MSN Direct is worth it. The first day I had the unit installed, I saved 30 cents per gallon on gas by driving 2 miles out of my way. I have a V8 Tundra, and this is definitely important to me. I take 30 seconds to use this service every time I get gas. I am still on the 3months free subscription, but I definitely plan to pay for it when it expires. I think it will end up paying for itself.

:? In my opinion MSN direct so far is not worth it. I currently have it and was in traffic (due to a fatal car accident) and it did not show up on the system at all. I am in St. Louis where we have good reception and nothing. So I pulled my Garmin out with fmtraffic, and presto. It was on that. And I was stupid and paid for the year.

I just want it all. :roll:

No

Bascially all I need to know right now is in order to get MSN Direct, other than activating the unit, is there anything that the shop has to do during the installation? Again, all I'm having done is installing xm (not HD Radio).

Thanks CT, that's good news. It looks like I'm all ready to go for next weekend's install! This has been a long time coming and can't wait to finally have the F90BT in my vehicle!

the only thing i used MSN direct for was the weather. the traffic sucked. it was never accurate. the gas and movie times is cool but i was never in the situation where i really needed those.

i do not think it is worth it. maybe if they added more to it and/or somehow made the traffic portion useful i might reconsider.