AVIC411.com

So, no ID tags shown when playing wav files?

I think F-series is only capable of reading ID3 tags from mp3 containers. If you really are such an audiophile, I'd convert those .wavs into mp3 with 320bkps bitrate to preserve maximum quality. I personally don't hear the quality change after 160kb/sec, but I always aim for 192kb/sec just to be on the safe side. After 192kb/sec, there's really no difference, at least for me.

You know, I never was an audiophile until recently. I actually did convert the songs to 320k MP3's and the conversion totally squashed the highs and gave everything a muddy sound. I tried both Lame and the built in Windows Media codec and neither of them provided those crisp highs I got with the lossless conversion. The ID tags arent a deal breaker, but it sure would be nice to see them. Maybe when leet reverse engineers the software, he can work on it for me. :lol:

Wow you must have good ears AND a great sound system. When you were encoding with LAME, did you set all quality settings on highest? At 320kbps, even jesus can't hear the lossy-ness.

Yes, all of the quality settings were on high, unfortunately. I have been a musician for 20 some odd years, I guess I have become a clairvoyant when it comes to sound. :lol:

Apple Lossless Codec (ALAC) is awesome. Works great with the iPod, music is bit for bit from the CD using lossless compression, and you get voice control, album art, and all the other wonderful features of the iPod on the avic, along with lossless audio.

There are several converters out there that convert FLAC and other lossless to ALAC really fast too, so it's not too painful if you already have a large lossless library in another format.

Apple Lossless Codec (ALAC) is awesome. Works great with the iPod, music is bit for bit from the CD using lossless compression, and you get voice control, album art, and all the other wonderful features of the iPod on the avic, along with lossless audio.

There are several converters out there that convert FLAC and other lossless to ALAC really fast too, so it's not too painful if you already have a large lossless library in another format.

Awesome. Will the unit still see them, if they are coming from something other than an Ipod? I wil eventually get an ipod, for voice control alone, but at the moment dont have one.

ALAC can only be decoded and played from the iPod. The Avic would need to do the decoding onboard if it were to play ALAC off of USB/SD, whereas with the iPod, the processor on the iPod is decoding the ALAC and sending the raw analog audio feed over the iPod cable and the Avic does not have to use any of it's own processing power for the decoding. This is why MP4 videos play so quickly and responsively off the iPod, yet so choppy and slow off of USB/SD media. The iPod acts as sort of a second processor for the Avic.

ALAC can only be decoded and played from the iPod. The Avic would need to do the decoding onboard if it were to play ALAC off of USB/SD, whereas with the iPod, the processor on the iPod is decoding the ALAC and sending the raw analog audio feed over the iPod cable and the Avic does not have to use any of it's own processing power for the decoding. This is why MP4 videos play so quickly and responsively off the iPod, yet so choppy and slow off of USB/SD media. The iPod acts as sort of a second processor for the Avic.

Good to know, thanks for the information. Guess I need to get an Ipod.