AVIC411.com

XM channel logos stored on unit, can you update them?

I figure you guys would know, with the recent channel lineup change for XM, a lot of the channel logos change into a default one since there is nothing for the new channel in memory.

Is there a way to fix this? I know with the d series it came on the nav dvd, with this unit though its obviously on internal flash memory.

I wonder if a new map update in the future would bring updates to the logos.

Amazing how nice the logos are when you have them.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Right now, I'm working on editing the Imagetbl.dat File. I understand that the first bit is the logo pointer, the second one is the number of characters in the channel name, and the 3rd one is the channel number, and the 4th through 20th bits are the channel name. I tested this out with a "Holly" icon I created for XM35 Holly and no luck getting it to show up yet. I'll update later today when/if I get that to work. Once I do, I will continue on with the rest of the channels.

Right now, I am taking the icons straight from their respective XM channel pages and all are the same size (138x50) on a white background. I'm trying to decide if I should take the time to edit all of the XM logos to have a gray background like they do on the F series. Also, these icons that I am making for the F series will have to be shrunk down and reformatted to work on the D/Z/N series as they use a much lower resolution icon and a different extension for the images.

If anyone knows anything at all about imagetbl.dat file editing and how to get custom icons to work EVERYTIME, let me know. Any help is greatly appreciated here.

Update:

I can not for the life of me get XM35 Holly's Icon to work. I DID however get the 40s on 4 icon to work and presumably any other channel number that are there normally. Just wish I could get Holly and probably any other new channel numbers to work. I will however continue working on the icons.

I have no idea if it will be fruitless or not, but I just sent a question to XM themselves detailing this situation and asked if they can/will be doing anything from their end about this.

Seems to me that if the logos that USED to be there aren't any longer, wouldn't they be able to put the new ones up once they have them situated?

Or am I missing the boat completely here? I'll let everyone know what they say when they reply.

Cheers,

Kev

I just got off the phone with Pioneer and they said that the station logos are updated through the Map Update discs. The next map update won't arrive until April '09! Lazy *** Pioneer . Take several hours to fix this and make your customers happy.

I'd be willing to pay someone on here, that has the skills to fix the station logos, $20 for their service

Well, I say that everyone should either:

1) Call them at 800.421.1404 (opt 2, 3, 2, 2, 1, 1) and let your voice be heard, or

2) email the message below to Pioneer at customer.support@pioneerservice.com :wink:.

** Please forward this to the head (Manager) of Customer Service **

As you may or may not know, yesterday XM and Sirius completed their merger and changed the station lineup for their service. As a result, most all of the station logos displayed on your navigation units are missing. So, last night I emailed your department to ask about a fix.

Well, I just got off the phone with your customer service department and was told that the XM/Sirius station logos on all Pioneer units will be updated with the next Map Update due out in April. You are doing a disservice to your image when you're going to make ALL your customers that own a navigation display (Z-series, D-series, N-series & F-series) wait 6+ months to have their displays corrected.

Normally I could understand the wait...if XM or Sirius makes a slight changes to their station lineup. BUT, they just merged and more than 2/3 of the stations (and logos) have changed.

I'm not the only one venting my frustration. A browse at the AVIC411.com forums will show other customers that would like this resolved:

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19377

http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19359

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19365

Please don't make your loyal customers wait 6+ months and spend $120 to fix their displays.

S**** W.

I'm working on the Imagetbl.dat file right now. Once I can establish that I can get the proper station names in that file along with their file pointers/channel numbers and get some kind of logo on all/most of the channels, then I'll continue going through and updating the channel images. I will have the imagetbl.dat file done hopefully tomorrow and then get crackin on the logos.

Note: I also found that the channel number bit in the imagetbl.dat doesn't really matter. If you notice, the Broadway channel, and Cinemagic have moved into the 70s now, from the upper 20s, but the logo remains. So all that appears to matter now is that station name length, the name itself, and the file pointer for the logo. Also, some stations have the same channel/name but have lost the logo. The Heat (ch 68 ) is the exact same name and location, but there's no logo showing up. There's something else at play here.

I'm working on the Imagetbl.dat file right now. Once I can establish that I can get the proper station names in that file along with their file pointers/channel numbers and get some kind of logo on all/most of the channels, then I'll continue going through and updating the channel images. I will have the imagetbl.dat file done hopefully tomorrow and then get crackin on the logos.

Note: I also found that the channel number bit in the imagetbl.dat doesn't really matter. If you notice, the Broadway channel, and Cinemagic have moved into the 70s now, from the upper 20s, but the logo remains. So all that appears to matter now is that station name length, the name itself, and the file pointer for the logo. Also, some stations have the same channel/name but have lost the logo. The Heat (ch 68 ) is the exact same name and location, but there's no logo showing up. There's something else at play here.

I've been working at this also... it appears that each station has an internal broadcast index which is different from the displayed station number. The first 5100 bytes of the table file are 20 byte descriptors for each station ordered by that internal index from 0 to 254. Assuming this is the case it means that not only must the name strings match, but all the descriptor blocks need to be at the proper offsets in the table file as well. Also the second byte before the start of the station name string in each descriptor must be set to the length of the actual station name string or the AVIC won't be able to verify the station name correctly and thus will not show the assigned logo.

I also don't have the complete answer but I have changed some logos/channels but not others so the offset might be the problem. I think the only ones I've been successful with are ones that were already in the file. I haven't figured out how to add new ones. For example, channel 54 had an entry, then there are 100 null bytes, then channel 60 has an entry. The spacing is correct (5 channels * 20 bytes each = 100 bytes) but adding channels following the same format as the others doesn't work. The 3rd byte (which I thought was the channel number) may be the key (but I haven't figured out how to unlock the door':D')

I agree that the channel spelling and character count (2nd byte) has to be correct for the channels but that doesn't seem to be the case for the categories. For "Family& Health" I just put in "Family" with a "06" in the 2nd byte.

I now have category logos displaying for all categories. In some cases I used the same existing logo (the Jukebox for "Pop" & "More Music" and the cross for "Christian" & "Religion"). For "Best of Sirius" & "Holiday" I made new logos.

Tom

I did the same thing for my categories. I made a Christmas tree for Holiday. Came out looking pretty factory.

UPDATE: I got the icon for the new Elvis channel working, that was one channel that was a line pure zeros in the original imagetbl.dat and I added all of the parameters and made an icon for it and bam, it showed up. There has never been anything on XM channel 18 before. So for whatever reason, this works, but doing the same for Holly does not work. The only possible thing I can think of is maybe they are broadcasting a space at the end of the channel name that we are not seeing and needs to be added to the name string in the imagetbl.dat along with a correct character count. This WOULD explain why Boneyard and XM Cafe never worked before merger the other day. The channel names were correct but the factory icons would just not show up for several channels. Which means XM must be changing the name somehow by adding white space to the ends of the channels. It's the only thing I can think of.

3028412057_f59c6e95cd.jpg

post-10185-12872756202112_thumb.gif