AVIC411.com

XM channel logos stored on unit, can you update them?

The images are stored on your unit, XM only transmits the channel name, song title, and artist... if there is not a logo on the unit that goes along with the channel name then it defaults to displaying the generic sattelite.

I know the above is true for our various Avic units and this doesn't help the current discussion but I also have a Pioneer Inno and somehow all the channels now have the proper logos. It hasn't been connected to a computer in over 2 years. I have aboutely no clue how that could be possible without some over-the-air data transfer. Too bad Pioneer didn't use the same update method for the Avic.

Tom

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok Mike... I burned your image file... trying to render a few of my BMP's... RawDog Comedy does not show up on my D3, but 16, 46, 49 ect... do....

I am also working on re-rendering some of my images... weird things happening (See my picture under the "D Series" (I think the thread its called XM Sirius logos)

yea I changed it in the version I had... Im working on perfecting some logo's for the D3... Ill mail a few of them over in PIM & BMP to you, let me know how they work... (Prob early next week)

but I did get Rawdog to show the XM COmdey logo... I like the XM Comedy logo more... so im not even gonna modify it..

Right now Im testing 32bit bmp... 24bit wont work with the AVIC D3...

Bad news...Inkscape is not handling certain gradiant colors correctly when importing the XM channel list PDF. The logos may look correct initially but if you compare several of them closely to the PDF you'll see the colors aren't right.

I'm going to have to find a commercial application that handles vector graphics to convert the PDF to transparent PNG images.

I have resolved the problem with color management and am starting the manual process of making optimial AVIC sized images. Details are here: http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19365. Once done these will have to mated with an updated IMAGETBL.DAT.

Can someone please post some samples of a few of the existing logos from the F and N series units from the XMLPS and XMDPS subdirectories so I can know what the file format, sizes, and background colors are. The format is the logos is different for each AVIC series. I already have the details for the D and Z series.

Here is the XM file...

Thanks...I will make a set of 360x96 and 90x30 cuts for the F. I should be able to get all these done in 3-4 days.

The F is using RGB555 bitmaps which won't be supported by most graphic editing programs. The "checkerboard" like pattern that is visible on the backgrounds is from the conversion from 32bpp to RGB555 through the Windows GDI/GDI+.

The Z3 logos generated by my program work OK. I don't expect issues with the D/N ones.

I now need someone to please test out the attached F series logos generated by my program. These are for channels 11 and 13 (Nashville and Willie's Place), I choose these for the test since they work without modifying the imagetbl.dat.

I need to know if the unit displays them without issue on both the large and small sizes, is the background handled correctly, and there are no problems with borders/sizing.

The reason I ask about borders and sizing is many of the Pioneer generated logos are actually smaller then necessay to fit in the box and I can't figure out why. On the Z/D/N series it looks like they tried to follow a rule of a 2 pixel border for large images, and 1 pixel border for small images, but it was completely inconsistent in that many logos touched the borders. The F series is worse..many logos are far smaller than necessary...the thought "low quality rush job" keeps coming to mind.

Now that I saw the some of the new ones on my Z3 last night, I'm convinced there is no need for leaving border space, and all logos can be as large as possible.

FSeriesLogoTest11-20.zip

Thanks, Vandal, for all your hard work. I will give those logos a test out tomorrow and let you know how it goes. I don't THINK that the F series cuts anything off of the image for a border or anything since I have made some replacement logos that showed up perfectly, bit for bit. Thanks again.

Thanks, Vandal, for all your hard work. I will give those logos a test out tomorrow and let you know how it goes. I don't THINK that the F series cuts anything off of the image for a border or anything since I have made some replacement logos that showed up perfectly, bit for bit. Thanks again.

No no...the AVIC doesn't cut off the image, I'm talking about Pioneer's logos...they don't size their logos to use all of the available space in the bitmap. The graphic of many of their F series logos are smaller than necessary.

I finally just finished cracking out the new ImageTbl.dat file about 10 minutes ago. XM made a large changes to many station IDs. I will be posting the update packs for the Z and D/N series tommorrow sometime. As soon as someone gets back to me that the the F series bitmap work ok I will post that one too.