AVIC411.com

Calling Bob Johnson... General?

Anyone know why there's the addition of "general" to any address book entries name when using voice dial?

E.g.

If i say "call Bob Johnson", the lady repeats "calling bob johnson. general."

The reason i ask is that it would be cool if you could categorize your contacts. General, Work, Business, etc.

here's what you do. you should arrange in your cell phone by the category of the phone number. let say bob, select as mobile, or home, or work in your cell phone. if this dont work, your phone is not totally supported by your gps unit. mine is the same, i have a contact with several phone numbers, if i command the call, the unit will tell me that the contact has multiple numbers and will make me choose among the list. the problem is, all the choices are general but in my cell phone, the numbers are assigned if mobile, home or work so my guess is my phone is not totally supported by my f500 unit. the only solutiont here, i guess is change phone which is totally compatible with your gps unit.

actually i solved that problem by exporting my contacts from outlook to excel, making duplicate rows for contacts with more than one number, and editing all the names to include what kind of number it is (H, M or W). Then i deleted all the unneeded fields (just left edited name and number) and then i added an ID and dword to match the actual database type the avic uses. I imported this into SQLight and saved it as a .db file to my avic. Now i just say: Call Bob Johnson H (for home) or Call Bob Johnson W (for work) etc.

I am actually considering making a simple app to automate this so i can do it once a month or so. I assume others may be interested. Does anyone know of an API for saving into .db format? I am already very comfortable with the outlook API. It shouldn't take long to code. The biggest issue is that the AVIC only supports the first 300 contacts (i have 500+; not all with numbers, but some with more than 1). This could be reduced by filtering by contact categories though.

In any event, this is beside the point of the "General" issue. Does anyone's phone support these categories?