AVIC411.com

Anyone working on new logos to fix what XM has done to us? If you don't already know, XM changed the names of many of the channels and now whe get the standard Satelite logo instead of the channel logo. So if anyone is working on it, I won't start it for myself. No need duplicating someone else's effort you know.

Also, some of you DVD, CD users (N1-3, D1-3) etc. Are you also working on a fix disk? If so, can you post your new logos here?

I just got my new Z3 hooked up and XM throws these unnecessary station name changes at me.

I'm studying the last update from the the sticky post. It looks like you need to convert all the jpegs to PIM and update the IMAGETBL.DAT file but I don't see any technical details on the structure of that file. It also appears the logos come in 3 sizes.

The first task would be to get the new logos in the 3 sizes. I see the smaller versions of the logos on the XM website. Anywhere know if there is an "official" place to obtain the new logos?

Anywhere know if there is an "official" place to obtain the new logos?

http://xmradio.com/onxm/full-channel-listing.xmc

If you follow the channel links off of this page, it appears each channel has a current logo in the upper left hand corner.

Ya, I saw those, however those are in lossy JPG format. I can get the logos in a much better resolution from the XM station list PDF which has them logos in a high-res scalable format. The logos can then be brought into a tool like PhotoShop and resized to the 72x24 and 136x40 formats for the AVIC and then converted to PIM. The problem is that logos need to be transparent to appear right on the AVIC and several of the logos like "Escape" have semi-transparent pixels which is quite difficult to undo once combined with a background color.

I finally figured out how to get the logos out of the XM station list PDF without losing resolution and transparency but its a tedious manual process using 2 applications and PimView.

It appears from the existing logo PIMs I found that the background color should be 200,200,200, but when I covert the bitmap to PIM all the colors darken by 8 bytes so I had to trick it with a background of 208,208,208. Anyone know why PIMView shifts the colors?

I'm still tweaking the process but attached is what I have for the large (136x40) Octane logo.

Octane136x40.zip

Reply from Pioneer:

At the present time there are no updates for the XM displays on this model. With future updates this should become available, however at this time we not ETA for this.

The guy that sells upgrades on ebay said he would look in to upgrading the images in his build.

I just got off the phone with Pioneer and they said that the station logos are updated through the Map Update discs. The next map update won't arrive until April '09! Lazy *** Pioneer :x. Take several hours to fix this and make your customers happy.

Call them at 800.421.1404 (opt 2, 3, 2, 2, 1, 1) and let your voice be heard. I'd be willing to pay someone on here, that has the skills to fix the station logos, $20 for their service :).

I just emailed this to Pioneer at customer.support@pioneerservice.com. Maybe everyone on this forum should do the same :wink:.

** Please forward this to the head (Manager) of Customer Service **

As you may or may not know, yesterday XM and Sirius completed their merger and changed the station lineup for their service. As a result, most all of the station logos displayed on your navigation units are missing. So, last night I emailed your department to ask about a fix.

Well, I just got off the phone with your customer service department and was told that the XM/Sirius station logos on all Pioneer units will be updated with the next Map Update due out in April. You are doing a disservice to your image when you're going to make ALL your customers that own a navigation display (Z-series, D-series, N-series & F-series) wait 6+ months to have their displays corrected.

Normally I could understand the wait...if XM or Sirius makes a slight changes to their station lineup. BUT, they just merged and more than 2/3 of the stations (and logos) have changed.

I'm not the only one venting my frustration. A browse at the AVIC411.com forums will show other customers that would like this resolved:

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19377

http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19359

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19365

Please don't make your loyal customers wait 6+ months and spend $120 to fix their displays.

S**** W.

AVIC-Z2 owner

They said the next April map update...would this be those same map updates with $200+ rip off pricing?

I'm going continue working on making a new logo package. I was able to sucessfully extract the new logos from the channel list PDF with full quality and transparency preserved to PNG images.

Since the logos all vary in height and each needs to be scaled seperately, I made the PNG exports in resolutions from 120DPI to 300DPI in 5DPI increments. The next step is to manually find the largest DPI of each logo that fits into the 72x24 and 136x40 images used by the AVIC and make bitmaps of those which can then be converted to PIMs.

I've mostly decyphered the IMAGETBL.DAT but I'm working off an old update pack posted here. I still need to pull the HD from my Z3 and see what the image sizes and the table look like on a newer AVIC. I suspect the F series probably has a different format for all this. It appears that bytes describing each station are indexed by an internal station offset which is different that the displayed station number, for example Miami Traffic is station 230 but its internal offset is 18. It seems the AVIC needs the indexes and the station name strings to match up correctly in the table file in order to get the logo PIM file ID and display it.

I'll post the bitmaps and PIMs once I get them done.

An update...I had ran in an annoying road block involving color management. The PDF displays using the ICC profile of your monitor which is not the actual color in the document. The actual color in the document is the one used for printing and those colors appear dulled out on screen and the logos made from those were not coming out looking right. To get around this I had to convert the color profile on all my exported PNGs to the "Apple RGB" profile and then use a program I threw together to strip the ICC profile from the PNGs so the colors don't re-adjust when I open the PNG in Axialis or Adobe applications. The "Apple RGB" profile seems to closest match the colors of the existing AVIC logos. I do not know what color profile Pioneer used but you really won't be able to tell the difference and I question if Pioneer got the colors right themselves as theirs are not consistent between the Z3 and D2.

In order to make sets of logos for all the different AVIC series I need to know the format and the 2 sizes for each AVIC series. Garret Toomey generously sent me the logos from the Z3 as I don't have an unlocked drive yet, so I have those. I also have the format from a D2 series CD. The logos are stored in the XMDPS and XMLPS directories.

The Z3 uses actual bitmaps in 24-bit 136x40 and 56x24 with a black blackground.

The D2 uses PIMs in 136x40 and 72x24 with a 200,200,200 background.

Can someone please post a some samples of logos for the N and F series? I don't need all of them, just a few in both sizes will do.