AVIC411.com

The use of the HD in the Z1

ok, so I'm about to get a Z1 in a couple of weeks, and I would just like to know, what exactly can the Hard Drive be used for?

I will be buying an ipod adapter for my ipod, and will also be getting the bluetooth adapter.

So, is there a way to put movies on the hard drive and play them? if so, then how? If not, then can I put movies on the ipod (i have the 30GB ipod video), and watch them on the Z1?

how good is the ipod adapter? do you control all the music through the ipod or the Z1? I'd rather control it from the ipod.

is there anything else I should know before I buy the unit?
The HDD is used to download store-bought CDs into the the unit, and for uploading images from a disc created by you, with pictures on it, for personalized background pics.
It iPOD unit kinda sucks. It works, and that's great, but it controls the iPOD via the AVIC's touchscreen. Sounds like a cool idea, until you realize that the iPOD unit has NO cache in it, and as you scroll through artists, albums, playlists, etc, it only lists 5 at a time. Each time you hit the scroll button, it has to access the iPOD which takes about 3 seconds. Multiply that by however many artists or albums you have on your iPOD, and you can see how long it takes to get to.....say, T, for example.
Watching iPOD video: You can, but not via the iPOD adapter unit. You've got to get a separate adapter that terminates at 3 RCA jacks (Red, White & Yellow) by way of either the data port on the bottom, or the headphone/video jack on the top. The headphone jack units are the cheapest & most common, just keep in mind that it utilizes the small amplifier in the iPOD, which is usually pretty "noisy". (hiss)
Make sure you know how to bypass the security features (easily found here, under hacks/mods) or else you have a big, expensive touchscreen stereo as all of the NAV and DVD functions are not accessable while in motion, in the stock configuration.
If you wanted to control your iPod on the iPod, you will need to get an adaptor that terminates on one end with RCA video and audio cables, power and ground and the other end is a dock connector. Put the RCA video and audio into the A/V jacks on the Z1 and you can either watch the movies that are stored on your iPod or listen to music. You will control both on the iPod. The power and ground are there so you can charge the iPod while its connected. You can find a connector like this on eBay.