AVIC411.com

Who is having problems with the PAC Audio SWI-PS???

One main problem for me:

When I hold down Vol Up or Vol Down even very briefly (more than just a tap), volume will go ALL the way up or down. If I just tap Vol Up or Vol Down, I can get the volume to change 1 unit at a time.

Otherwise, Seek Up, Seek Down and Mute/Unmute all work fine...

EDIT: Deleting key beep sound files MUCH improved volume control response!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AZFlyingDiver, I will try deleting the key beep files to see if i get can the same results, since i have the same avic installed in the same car as you.

Did you have the same problem with the PAC? It'd be good to know if this is a common thing (even better if this turns out to be a good fix)...

Good luck!

(E46's FTW!)

Did you have the same problem with the PAC? It'd be good to know if this is a common thing (even better if this turns out to be a good fix)

Yeah I was having the same issues. I posted them on the first page about the 5th post down.

I haven't found any time to delete the files yet. I'll try sometime this week.

i have the pac swips installed in my mazda 3 with the f900bt and everything works flawlessly although i did have to saughter the connections for the pac because splicing the wires was giving me issues when the climate got cold. The only issue i have with the pac module is the fact that when it comes to the radio it does not let me go to the next preset radio station it rather scans through them. but if i go to ipod it changes songs. If i hold down in ipod or sd mode it fast forwards the song like stock setup. If i program the pac differently then the radio presets will work fine but i wont be able to change the song in ipod/sd mode. I have had the Pioneer d3 and the pioneer N2 and it was the same thing. My frind has the civic si 06 with a pioneer d3 and a pac module and it does the same with the radio

I have the Logitech Harmony 880 tv remote and it has empty button slots that you can program any button functionality into that is not a stock option.

Are you looking into this same feature with the updated PAC harness?

Because some of my steering wheel buttons have "vol up" and "vol dwn" inherently for volume controls, but some just have symbols. It would be awesome to cross program any function into those. :?:

And yes, keep the sensitivity in mind.

Before I bought my PAC I thought that's how it worked (hoped anyway), but after installation I was running a top of the line HU with a relic steering wheel controller. The 2 just didn't match...

Thanks for the post 1PACMAN, I've been pulling my hair out, I thought I must have installed or programmed the unit incorrectly. I re-programmed it 4 or 5 times, all with the same result. Here's the installation details.

- 2006 Ford Expedition.

- Pioneer AVIC-F90BT.

- Front controls install (white wire, version 3).

I have a couple of issues/frustrations to report:

1. It works intermittently, although it doesn't work more than it does. It seems to function OK just after I program it, but then it plain stops working again. I never know what I'll get each time I turn the engine on. The volume up/down is worse than the source/band selectors. Sometimes volume up will work but volume down will not. Sometimes volume won't work, I'll press the source button (successfully), then volume works again. Generally, source and preset work more often than volume.

2. As others have noted, the delay between a button press and the command being recognized at the head unit is irritating, especially when I'm not sure if the unit got the command or not (because of the intermittent issue). Before I know it, the speakers are blasting out, and volume down doesn't work!

3. I guess this may be the nature of the Expedition, but I can't have both the front and rear controls working, I have to choose which of them to hook the unit into. I can't even have two SWI-PS modules (one programmed for the front and another for the rear), because there's only one wired remote input at the head unit.

Should I return the unit to the dealer that I bought it from and eat the shipping and restocking charges? Do you have any updates as to whether there are plans for a more reliable version?

By the way, I called PAC this morning and was told that there are no known compatibility issues with the F90BT. I appreciate your post, it would probably be helpful to relay this information on to other callers.

• 2 weeks later...

i just got a pac unit from crutchfield for my ford excursion,after reading this is seems i should send it back?

if this thing is as bad as you guys say has anyone found another unit that works??

pacman--mine is the old style box,controlling a f90bt.seems that some have this unit working a little,could you elaborate on what pioneer wound need to change to have it work properly?as i assume there are some around here who could maybe "hack it"

thanks

Hey Guys, I just got installed the F90BT today in my GMC ENVOY XL 2003 SLT, WITH ONSTAR AND BOSE.

According to the installers they couldn't get the SW to work, they programmed it like 10 times and everytime they started the truck the programming would go to hell.

Now it's working but all the buttons are assigned to various things like volume down is volume up. preset is volume down. and Band is change preset forward... Oh and my AC button changes the band....

Any ideas what could it be? they're blamming it on the unit. Could it be? or is just a programming error?

thanks!

I have no idea the installers experience, I had some issues programming my pac steering wheel switch for this unit, but in the end it worked perfectly fine.

If the volume up/down etc are not working correctly, but it is working none the less, that is when you push a button the unit responds, but doesn't do what is expected its a programming error.

Programming it is straight forward but its not by any means simple or a no brainer. Lac of experience or knowledge or jsut being lazy is most likely the problem here.

Ask them to consult the website, or you personally do it and show htem whats going on.

Programming it is straight forward but its not by any means simple or a no brainer. Lac of experience or knowledge or jsut being lazy is most likely the problem here.

---

Thanks for the vote of confidence there, cranbers! :-)

I actually thought the programming was very straightforward, clearly documented to include the expected LED sequences at every step. Indeed, everything worked fine until I cycled the ACC switch. I don't understand how lazy or incompetent programming can result in the unit responding correctly one time and then failing after switching the engine off and on again. It seems to me that intermittent operation such as this would most likely be attributed to the hardware itself. Still, I'm glad to hear it functions correctly for your vehicle, maybe there's some hope for the rest of us with a future version.