AVIC411.com

XM November 2008 updated logos here...D/N/F/Z series!

Here it is at last. These image packs contain updated logo images and an ImageTbl.Dat file for all Sirius XM merger station changes including "The Best of Sirius". These logos were taken from the XM channel list PDF scalable vector graphic and exported with transparency to over 270 PNG files of dot-per-inch increments between 60 to 930 DPI. Each PNG was then color corrected to match the Pioneer color profile as closely as possible. A custom C# program scans these and creates AVIC sized PNG images in 56x24, 72x24, 90x30, 130x40, and 360x96 using the largest DPI logo that will fit for each channel. A second C# program then takes these PNG files and creates the specially formatted BMP and PIM files for each AVIC series in the appropriate sized and station ID filename and builds the ImageTbl.Dat. I will post the source code for these in the next week or so once the code is cleaned up and documented.

Notes and issues:

- The traffic and emergency channels will continue to use the original logo. There is no replacement for these.

- "XM Sports Guide" is not on the channel list PDF and thus has no logo.

- "xl Stars Too" is not on the channel list PDF and has no logo so I have assigned it the XM Sirius Stars logo for now.

- The "CNN Headline News" logo in the channel list PDF doesn't have the CNN logo on it so I did not include an updated logo for this channel. The original Pioneer version will apply.

- Sports Play-By-Play channels frequently change channel names depending on the broadcast and thus will only show a logo when the original channel name is in use. There is no workaround for this as the AVIC won't display logos unless the name in the ImageTbl.Dat matches exactly.

- A dozen or so logos, mostly the 136x40 sized, need minor touch with edges and small letters. I am still tweaking the program to try and deal with this.

- These packs will have to be updated again for the January station changes. "The Bridge", "Boneyard", and "Cinemagic" are supposed to be start or resume broadcast in January and until then I do not have the station ID to code them into the ImageTbl.dat.

- The categories portion of the ImageTbl.Dat is different between each AVIC series. Unexpected results might occur if you try to use the wrong one for a particular AVIC model.

Installing:

- As always when doing such updates make backups of your XMDAT, XMLPS, and XMDPS directories.

- Do not erase the existing logos. You will still need the Pioneer traffic, emergency, and CNN Headline News logos.

- Simply copy the files in the pack over any existing files for each directory (XMLPS, XMDPS, and XMDAT). The location of these directories differ by series.

First up is Z series. These have been fully tested on a Z3. The Z uses 56x24 images with a 224, 232, 240 (28, 29, 30 in 5 bit) background and 136x40 images with a black background in 16-bit R5G5B5 BMP format padded to the nearest 4 byte boundry. Because black is transparent on the Z all pure black colors have been adjusted up slightly to compensate.

THIS UPDATE HAS BEEN REMOVED. THE NEWER UPDATE IS HERE:

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21158

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The F series uses 90x30 and 360x96 images on a special grey background pattern in 16-bit R5G5B5 BMP format padded to the nearest 4 byte boundry. Please post any issues you encounter as I do not know if the F series has a transparent color (pure white or pure black) and if it does I will need update this pack to correct for it. If black is transparent you will see a problem on the "AC/DC Radio" and "Fox Business News" logos.

The D and N series uses 72x24 and 136x40 images with 200,200,200 (25,25,25 in 5 bit) background in R5G5B5 PIM format. Because white is transparent all pure white (31, 31, 31) colors have been adjusted down to 30, 30, 30 to compensate. I am working under the assumptions of past postings in that all D and N series units use this format but it may be possible that the expected format has changed on the D3. If there is a problem please post back on here as soon as possible so people aren't burning coasters.

Loaded up the Z3 and they work perfectly. I had started working on this on my own and was making SOME progress but no where near complete or as thorough as you have done. I've done enough to know how tedious and time consuming this has been for you. No doubt you have given more attention to details than most, if not all, of us would have. They look great and I'm glad to have them back.

Now to quote the famous Buford T. Justice....

"What I owe?"

Seriously, PM me your paypal account info.

Thanks again,

Chris

**EDIT**

Thanks to everyone else that has been working on these for us also!!

get the iso ready and we will post it on an ftp site.

much obliged.

ok, I burned the above and tested on my D3

first Here are the channels that show the wrong logo. I think I can fix these immediatly:

28 fixed by hanging the logofile

17 fixed by changing the logo file

47 fixed by changing the logo file

130 fixed by changing logo file

150 fixed by changing logo file

125 fixed by changing the logofile

27 cinematic should be ok 1-1-09

41 is boneyard which comes back in january so I wont bother changing that one.

**** update, I may not have copied all of the below logos over, I am burning another dvd with the above changes and I re-copied all the logos over below, I will test tommorrow morning.

54 need new logo file

Now here is the list that do not show at all, just the default

I will fix the ones that are showing the wrong logos now and test tommorrow morning. the rest need to have the imagetbl.dat file edited. I wont have time to even start looking at that for at least a week as I will be traveling through next sunday.

You are a god. lol.

Seriously though, I can't thank you enough for all the hard work you put in. All of the logos both list and normal views show up perfectly on the F series. I like how you made the logos as large as possible with little gray area around the images. Good job man.

BTW, how did you figure out how to make an icon for Holly show up? I spent quite a while on that and never figured it out.

Thanks again man, all your hard work is truly appreciated here!

I will fix the ones that are showing the wrong logos now and test tommorrow morning. the rest need to have the imagetbl.dat file edited. I wont have time to even start looking at that for at least a week as I will be traveling through next sunday.

Something doesn't sound right...are you using the imagetbl.dat in the package I posted?

I was going to post a document about ImageTbl.Dat later, but I should explain it now as it can get quite convoluted:

Each XM channel is associated with a unique station ID number that is not displayed. The station ID number is not the same thing as the channel number displayed to the public. In the past 80%+ of the channels had the same ID and channel number. The November lineup changes did away with most of that and the station IDs AND channel number of many existing stations were changed.

The first 5100 bytes of ImageTbl.Dat map station IDs to channel names, public channel numbers, and a logo ID. The 5100 bytes is broken down into 255 entries of 20 bytes each. The order of the blocks in the file is by station ID number, i.e. the first 20 bytes is station ID 1, the second 20 bytes is station ID 2, etc. all the way 255. The AVIC looks at entries in ImageTbl.dat by station ID only.

Simply having a station entry with a channel name in the ImageTbl.dat is not enough, the station entry MUST be at correct offset corresponding to its station ID for the logo check to work.

To get an idea of how this mapping is set up here are a few:

Station ID / Hex offset in ImageTbl.Dat / Channel number /Channel name

2 0x014 234 NBA Play-By-Play

33 0x27F 100 xL Howard 100

35 0x2A8 51 The Coffee House

78 0x604 28 Escape

The reason you don't see a logo for channel 28 is because its station ID changed to 78 and thus it's entry must be offset 0x604 in the ImageTbl.dat or the logo won't work.

In addition, the AVIC may behave oddly if you have multiple station entries pointing to the same public channel number. One thing I've seen is that it simply won't display any logos for stations IDs past the conflicted entries in ImageTbl.DAT.

The 20 byte block for eash station is formatted as follows:

1st Byte: Bit-Flags. Setting bit 1 means no logo is displayed. Only the preview channel uses this flag. For all other stations this is 0. There may be other special flag bits but only Pioneer knows exactly what they are.

2nd Byte: Logo file ID. Indicates the number of the logo ID file that will be displayed is the channel name matches.

3nd Byte: Length of the channel name string.

4th Byte: Public channel number. This seems to only affect the position the AVIC displays the channel on its list. XM controls the actual channel numbers.

Bytes 5-20: Channel name character string. The 3rd byte should be the length of this string. Any remaining bytes should be 0.

Note that Pioneer uses a one-to-one matching of station IDs to logo file ID numbers and it is probably best to keep it that way for compatibility with their logo updates and to make things less confusing. Thus the 2nd byte of each 20 byte station entry be the same number as the station ID.

You are a god. lol.

Seriously though, I can't thank you enough for all the hard work you put in. All of the logos both list and normal views show up perfectly on the F series. I like how you made the logos as large as possible with little gray area around the images. Good job man.

BTW, how did you figure out how to make an icon for Holly show up? I spent quite a while on that and never figured it out.

Thanks again man, all your hard work is truly appreciated here!

Your welcome!

See my last post for details about ImageTbl.Dat...but I didn't explain HOW I figured out the new station IDs. I starting trying to manually edit the file but it was a lost cause quickly because it was simply too hard to keep track of the station IDs for each channel using a hex editor and try make sure I didn't have duplicate entries pointing to the same public channel number which would make the AVIC go wierd.

So what I did was create a C# program that would write out the ImageTbl.dat and let me manage how it got built. I then made another small program generate 255 dummy logos which simply had the station ID in red letters over a white background. So DPS001.BMP would be "ID 1", DPS002.BMP would be "ID 2", etc.

To find a station ID that moved, such as "The Heat" for example, I had my program generate an ImageTbl with all 255 station entries named "The Heat" with a one-to-one mapping of public channels numbers to avoid any conflict. I could then load up the AVIC and tune to channel 68 "The Heat" and it would display the dummy logo file with "ID 67" written on it. Since the offset for station ID 67 in ImageTbl.dat loads the logo file name DPS067.bmp, I now know that "The Heat" is station ID 67.

"Holly" was one of the unual ones, it ended up being station ID 209, I was expecting it would end up with station ID 35 since that wasn't used, but as it turns out station ID 35 is "The Coffee house".

I lost count of how many times I went back and forth between my car and PC with the AVIC hard drive. It took most of yesterday and this morning to find them all. Even with the program it can be tricky to track them all...one typo on the ID / channel number would mess it up.