AVIC411.com

XM November 2008 updated logos here...D/N/F/Z series!

First, please forgive me for this question, but at this point I am desperate. I have an Avic D3. I made an iso of my East disc using dvd decrypter. I then extracted the files, opened it up, did exactly as you said to do with the new xm logo files. Then, I made a new iso and burned it to a Memorex DVD+R DL disc.

The problem is that I have done this 14 times and not one of those 14 discs worked! The AVIC says that there is either an invalid disc or asks me to insert the appropriate disc. It simply will not read any disc I make regardless of the software I use. I have used Nero, DVD decrypter, Alcohol 120 and Ultra ISO. I am going insane!!! Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

I have an LG burner (GSA-H55L). The lowest it will let me burn is on 4X speed for some reason. I also am running this on Windows Vista. I also upgraded to the newest firmware. As I've said, I put off asking this question but now I'm just at the end of my rope. Please Help!

I am sure you probably tried this, but make sure in Nero that the finalize CD (even though it is a DVD) is checked. *** Also before you burn, do a media check through the NERO software and make sure it recognizes that the DVD is a DL, otherwise it may not be communicating with your DVD recorder properly.

I did a burn and it worked (after I realized to add the content to the folders rather than replace.)

When making the ISO, make sure to do a save as instead of save. I have found that saving over a current ISO does not work great when burning this disc.

The only issue I have is that once in a while the screen goes black, resets the radio, and then it is fine. This has only happened twice... if it persists I will try another burning.

Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving. 8)

Again... VANDAL, YOU DID AN AWESOME JOB! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! :mrgreen:

Thank you for your help, but I am still having trouble. I decided to test whether or not I could just burn a backup copy of the East Disc without opening the iso, tampering with it, and then making another iso and burning it. And guess what? It worked. I could make an exact copy of the disc without adding the new logos from Vandal.

So what I'm figuring now is that I must be doing something wrong in the opening the iso file, copying and pasting, and then making the new iso image. The problem is that I have no idea what I can be doing wrong in that process. It's not rocket science. I am opening it using WinRar, then copying and pasting the new contents of the Vandal folders just as he described, and then making a new iso image with a program called Iso Recorder. What is the best program to create an iso image and save it to your hard drive? I will try it, but unfortunately, I have gone through 18 discs now and am all out. I need to go get more. Luckily, I have only spent 20 bucks so far because I got the discs cheap. The aggravation is the thing that is killing me!

Again, if any of you have advice, please pass it along. Thanks again.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One more question. Do I need a 2008 Map disc or can I use a 2007 disc? I have a 2007 disc and am wondering whether or not this has been my problem all along. If you've read my other posts, you'll remember that I have gone through 18 discs trying to get Vandal's update to work. Please let me know if I need the 2008 disc to do this.

Back when I had a D2 I had major issues trying to make a working disk when the 70 disk came out. What I had found was there was something non-standard about the the file system structure. The DVDs would be readable on the PC but the D2 would reject them.

After a few dead DVDs I found that when modifying the ISO image using Ultra ISO is DO NOT delete/replace/recreate any directories. Instead just repleace files. Any messing around with the directories would make AVIC not be able to read them. So when applying the logo update only copy/paste the files themselves in each directory. Do not copy the directories to the ISO.

Thanks for all your help. The only problem is that I only have the trial versions of UltraIso and MagicIso. They won't let you save anything over 300 MB. Does anyone know of a freeware program that will allow me to edit the iso image? I am almost 30 dollars into this whole thing now and don't want to have to put out more money for logos that may change, as someone said, in December.

hey saint are you tryin to save the new image logos with iso?

if so you don`t have to save the whole 08 dick image, just replace and save the new logos, i did this and the iso let me burn the new disk and i put it into my d3 and no wi have the new logos and every thing is working great. :D

Thanks for all your hard work Vandal, I just did this to my 90BT and they work great. The people on this site amaze me, I don't know how you guy's figure all this stuff out, but I'm glad you do, and I'm glad you guy's take the time to help those of us who aren't as good with computer stuff so we can get these applied to our own systems. Keep up the good work !

I am completely new to this... Is there any posts or info someone can post to explain how to do this for beginners?

I loaded the folder onto a CD but do not have a clue how to copy them onto my unit..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Which unit do you have ?

I am completely new to this... Is there any posts or info someone can post to explain how to do this for beginners?

I loaded the folder onto a CD but do not have a clue how to copy them onto my unit..

Thanks

Which unit do you have ?

AVIC-Z2

Thanks

Which unit do you have ?

AVIC-Z2

The AVIC Z and F series run from a hard drive so you do not need to do anything involving CD/DVDs. The AVIC D and N have no hard drive and run from a DVD.

To update the logos on a Z or F you need to have an unlocked drive. You have two choices:

1) Get the drive unlocked using the $50 service. You'll need an unused classic IDE channel in your PC (not SATA) and a low cost adapter to hook up a laptop drive connector to a standard IDE connector. This cannot be done over a "virtualized" IDE connection such as USB to IDE adapter. This is harder route for the technically knowledgable.

2) Buy an new unlocked drive from Garret Toomey. Garret is selling the newer/larger/faster version of the same auto/mobile grade Toshiba drive in the AVIC Z series unlocked and loaded with the Z image that includes the updated logos. The highest end unit via USPS was $130. This is the easiest option and you get a backup drive to play with. You can also upgrade your Z2 to a Z3.

Once you have an unlocked drive you can do any future updates without hassle and using USB to IDE adapters.

Explicit details about all this is beyond this topic. See the "Hacks/Mods Z Series" forum: http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=20

In particular see:

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16080

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=728

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9446

Vandal,

The AVIC Z and F series run from a hard drive so you do not need to do anything involving CD/DVDs. The AVIC D and N have no hard drive and run from a DVD.

I thought the F series ran from flash memory.

You're right...can't remember where I got that bad info from, the F has something similar to a solid state drive. People are updating it using SD cards.