AVIC411.com

AVIC-F Hardwire Bypass for Dummies

Took me awhile to get this all figured out and I had to draw from multiple sources since the other hardwire bypass thread is littered with conflicting information and information on the software bypass which is irrelevant if you do the hardwire bypass. So, with credit to those whose pictures I'm using, here you go:

1. On the white harness (the Pioneer Installation Instructions refer to this as the “RCA Connectorâ€), find the mute wire (yellow/black). It is originally in the “1†position. Lift the plastic tab of where it is inserted into, pull the wire out, then place it into the “4†position on the bottom. It should now be in between 2 black wires.

3060519063_a59664387c_o_d.jpg

Before:

3060519091_851502c4cb_o_d.jpg

After:

3061355940_ff813917f5_o_d.jpg

2. On the black harness (the Pioneer Installation Instructions refer to this as the “Power Cordâ€), find the parking brake wire (light green). Ground the newly placed mute wire (yellow/black) from the “RCA Connector†and the parking brake wire (light green) from the “Power Cordâ€. Some folks suggest grounding to something other than the main ground. Not sure why, but if that’s doable, you should. Some folks believe grounding onto the main ground of the radio is fine. The following pictures show this setup ground to the main ground. The first picture shows the parking brake wire (light green) and the mute wire (yellow/black) connected to a light green wire. The second picture shows that light green wire running to and spliced onto the main ground.

3061355678_a075acfd63_o_d.jpg

3060519037_dee86aa8bf_o_d.jpg

Voila!

NOTE: THIS IS THE PURE HARDWARE BYPASS. IF YOU DO THIS BYPASS, YOU DO NOT NEED TO DO THE SOFWARE BYPASS. PLEASE DO NOT ASK SOFTWARE BYPASS QUESTIONS IN THIS THREAD.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, but I'm just trying to do you guys (i.e. the regulars here) a little favor.

Let's face it, the vast majority of "visitor traffic" here results from folks wanting to know how to do this bypass. The other hardware bypass thread had become cluttered with queries and answers on how to do it. Some of those answers give conflicting information which created confusion. The clutter and confusion in that thread is even worse as a consequence of A LOT of off-topic discussion of the alternative software bypass, which just added to the confusion. I'm a reasonably bright guy and have a basic level understanding of this stuff, and I was confused when I got done reading that thread.

So, in an effort to save you guys the hassle of having to deal with all of those "newb" questions which resulted from the confusion in that other thread, I started this one which lays out the hardware bypass in painstaking detail so as to try and have an answer to the "how do I do it" that no one could be confused by.

--Mav

im new here but i have a few questions, i attempted this wire bypass in my 08 Scion, i moved the mute wire just as it was said to the bottom 4th slot, then i connected it directly to the harness ground, then i also took the parking break wire and directly connected to the harness ground as well,...... the system says while im driving that i have inccorectly connected the parking brake wire please see instructions, any suggestions?

im new here but i have a few questions, i attempted this wire bypass in my 08 Scion, i moved the mute wire just as it was said to the bottom 4th slot, then i connected it directly to the harness ground, then i also took the parking break wire and directly connected to the harness ground as well,...... the system says while im driving that i have inccorectly connected the parking brake wire please see instructions, any suggestions?

Make sure the pin is secured. They're a bit of a pain sometimes.

that last picture is kinda hard to see cause the light green wire gets lost in a jumble of wires and kinda blends with the table, but i think it goes off to the left, then connecting to the block with the yellow wire on top?

Yeah, it's a little hard to see, but it's the only picture I could find anywhere that illustrated the whole bypass "finished". It goes off to the left, but it doesn't connect to the block with the yellow wire on the top. If you look on the left, you'll see the radio's ground with two black wires coming off of it. One of them is longer and runs towards the top of the table; the other is shorter and goes off to the left; that second one is connected to the other end of the light green wire. If you look close, you can see it and follow it all the way back to where the mute wire and brake wire are joined.

Make sure the pin is secured. They're a bit of a pain sometimes.

I deffinatly made sure the mute wire was secured, and still no cigar

not impressed with the black electrical tape hack job :evil:

Feel free to post your own alternative picture.

--Mav

Never took pictures of my harnass when I installed; but I heatshrinked everything. Something about wads of electrical tape just makes baby jesus cry