AVIC411.com

AVIC D-2 general questions

after browsing around, i saw that the difference between the D-1 and the D-2 is just the software upgrade .. is the software upgrade just the CNDV-60MP maps or is there like some firmware upgrade (and how would I know which version of the CNDV-60MP's I have)?

are there no other differences among the two? not really sure if this double din navigation is right for me. i want something with a easy and up to date navigation, a useful POI, and really I don't need any dvd playback what so ever. i read that the D-1 had issues where you could only choose a POI when the car is not moving, does that happen with the D-2?

and well any general insight on personal ownage of the unit would be helpful in my decision.
I'm not sure about the firmware, but I just bought a d2 about a month ago and love it. If it is installed as recommended by Pioneer then the parking brake DOES need to be on in order to perform some functions, however there is a workaround. There are a lot of posts in this forum that explain how to get around that. Basically, you need to ground 2 leads. First, the parking brake lead...and second, there is an empty hold in the connector...you can connect a grounded lead to that pin as well. It works like a charm.
Yes, the CNDV60 discs will update the firmware in the D1. The maps and POI's are stored on the DVD, so those will be as up-to-date as Tele Atlas's database at the time the discs were released.

Yes, D1, D2, Z1, N1, N2, N3, Alpine, Kenwood, even factory navigation units all require the car to be stopped when choosing POI's. I think this may be a federal law. As has been mentioned, there is a really easy hack to enable ALL navigation functions while driving.

I have 2 AVIC-D1's upgraded to D2's and I love them. Sometimes the routing isn't the best, for example, to get to Grand Forks, ND from Springfield, MO, it had me going all the way to St. Louis when Kansas City was far more direct, a much shorter distance, and faster. I was able to fix that by adding I70 in KC as a Way Point.

I'm like you, I have absolutely no need for DVD playback so the D1 is just fine. I only have a few complaints and they are minor: I wish it had some visualizations or eye candy when pressing Hide in AV mode (i.e. spectrum analyzer, entertainment clock, etc), I wish it had the enhanced iPod interface, it would be nice if the clock could be resized larger in Map mode, being able to easily re-display AV text and titles on the map screen without having to press Next or Previous would be nice, and although Pioneer can't do anything about this, I wish there were a hack to get rid of the warning msg when first starting the car in Map mode.
so if i were to ground the wire to the e-brake and such so make it think the car is stopped .. then i can perform all those functions like choosing POI and such while driving am i rite?

is there really nothing more compared with the two? maybe the d2 has more updated graphics?
Sort of... you have to do 2 things:
1. Ground the park brake wire.
2. There is an open slot in the power harness. This needs to be grounded too. Most people do it by removing an unused wire (i.e. "cell mute") and putting it in the empty slot.

Then you will be able to use all the functions.

I don't think there is any difference at all between an upgraded D1 and a D2.
I just installed the D1 in my vehicle, grounded parking brake, used power antenna wire in the empty wire location (right by the yellow/black power/ground wires) to ground and it works great. You have to make sure that the wire doesn't get pushed back out when you plug the harness in though, since the hole is slightly bigger than the hole you took the wire from.

I have the newest 60 series discs installed on it and it works great. The nav is very accurate, although the POIs aren't always the greatest if the place is relatively new, which isn't a big deal.

[quote name="GnatGoSplat"]Oops, my bad. Apparently there are exceptions!
I have definitely seen people wanting to perform hacks to Denso and Acura/Honda (Alpine) navigation systems to get rid of the blockouts so there are several OEM systems that are crippled when driving.[/quote]

My brother has an 06 Civic Si with the Nav and there are no restrictions on it, either.