AVIC411.com

F90BT in 2007 MkV GTI

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice job!

I just bought the F700 and I am going to install it in a minivan. If there is a blue dot on the box does it mean that it has the latest firmware installed? Pioneer's website says that if the dot is orange then it has the latest installed.

I have posted in here because I noticed that you have a VW GTi and I am thinking about purchasing the Jetta not the S, but maybe the Wolfsburg or TDi model (I'm not a hatchback guy) or GLi if I can find one and I want to know if you tried to use the 10 speakers already there or was it easier to scrap that and do your own thing, which you did of course. If I like the 700 in my minivan then I will more than likely put one in the Jetta that I plan on getting since I only paid $436 for it threw amazon, which beats $1600 for the VW nav unit. I guess what I am asking is that would you do it again or would you have stuck with the factory stereo unit?

I just don't want to get into a situation that I got into with a Volvo S40 that a friend of mine own's, in that it was a total PIA trying to use that factory amp (its an older one and he did not want to put too much money into it).

I'm still working out a few bugs, but I do like it.

I used the 2-pice AI 1017 install kit, and bonded the two pieces together, primed and sanded it (many times) and painted it flat black to match the rest of the dash.

I used the PAC-CAN, PAC-SWI, and the PAC C2R-VW wiring harness.

I put the bluetooth mic in the factory location, but since it seems to be directional, and the factory location points the mic at the shifter, I may pull it out of there and aim it at the driver (me).

The start-up time annoyed me, so I hooked up a timer relay to the dome lights, so when I unlock the car with the remote, or open the door, that sends a signal to the "ACC" wire, telling the Avic that the car is on. The time keeps the signal to the unit while I'm cranking the car, so that it does not have to restart, then. -- Much better.

post-24947-1287275652093_thumb.jpg

post-24947-12872756521889_thumb.jpg

The start-up time annoyed me, so I hooked up a timer relay to the dome lights, so when I unlock the car with the remote, or open the door, that sends a signal to the "ACC" wire, telling the Avic that the car is on. The time keeps the signal to the unit while I'm cranking the car, so that it does not have to restart, then. -- Much better.

Woah woah woah. Explain how you did that? I'm putting a 700 in my GTI next week and I love that idea.

BenF700BT—I didn't bother with the factory 10-speaker setup. My last car was an '08 Acura TL-S which had a really nice audio system, and after about a week in the VW I knew their "premium" stereo wasn't going to cut it. There is no reason, however, that you couldn't retain the factory speakers and only install the F700. You'll just need the PAC C2R-VW and the Metra 40-EU55 antenna adaptor.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice pics, I think this is going to be the next upgrade for my GTI.

Regarding setup/programming of the PAC steering wheel modules, you pointed out that the right-side controls are lost; is it really not possible to use those controls with the head unit? I'm wondering because this guy programmed the right-side controls on his steering wheel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_pP7Puoq0U

Interestingly, when he presses the MFD mode button, it changes both the MFD mode and HU source. I might be answering my own question here, but is it because the PAC modules run in parallel with the existing wheel controls (basically filling the gaps where OEM functionality is lost)?

If so, I can see why it's not practical to program those buttons. I'd hate to scroll through the MFD travel computer options and inadvertently change music tracks :)

You can program it for both sets of buttons but the right side buttons will change the MFD too.

This is because the pac module sees the buttons but it doesn't show up to the car as an audio device being present. With the factory stereo you can switch the right side to audio then control the stereo. This disappears when you remove the factory stereo and the PAC module isn't able to put it back. So PAC sees all button presses on that side. I didn't bother programming mine because I use the mfd functions a lot and this would get really annoying.

My understanding is that PAC is working on a newer module which hopefully will be available soon that will give us the proper functionality of the right side buttons still there. IMHO it is still worth it for the PAC modules to have the volume control button and mute button working. On mine I also made the tel button skip forward since I couldn't use it to answer the phone on my F90. At least I can skip to the next track.

A better solution than the PAC adapters can be found in the Connects2 Steering Wheel adapter (part # CTSVW002). It is better in several ways: 1) you only need to buy this one adapter (instead of the 2 that you need if you use the PAC adapters), as it provides the steering wheel controls plus the 12V switched power, the illumination signal, the reverse signal, and the speed signal; 2) this adapter is cheaper than either of the 2 PAC adapters; 3) this adapter enables the Audio screen in the MFD (it will say "Pioneer" in the MFD, actually) so all of your buttons work as they should.

Here is a picture of the adapter:

CONNECTS2-CTSST002.jpg

As you can see, it makes for a much cleaner installation than using the 2 PAC adapters does.

There are, however, two downsides to this adapter: 1) when listening to AM/FM, the right side buttons will perform the Seek function, instead of scrolling through your radio presets; and 2) it isn't readily available in the US - you must purchase it from overseas. I ordered mine from caraudiosecurity.com in the UK.

Another thing - Connects2 also makes a double-DIN faceplate that is a much better match (perfect match, really) than anything regularly sold here in the US.

Here are links to everything I ordered:

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/6852.html

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/8653.html

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/8692.html

That looks pretty sweet. So is this adapter a complete replacement for the PAC equipment? Do you wire from this to the head unit for speaker wires, power, switched, etc?

The picture shows connectors and no bare wires so I am curious how you wire it to the F90 harness.

I am pretty tempted to redo mine even though its only a month old to get the other controls!

That looks pretty sweet. So is this adapter a complete replacement for the PAC equipment? Do you wire from this to the head unit for speaker wires, power, switched, etc?

The picture shows connectors and no bare wires so I am curious how you wire it to the F90 harness.

I am pretty tempted to redo mine even though its only a month old to get the other controls!

Yep, this would replace all of the PAC stuff.

This harness comes with 2 European standard (I think) ISO connectors on it. You just cut those off to get the bare wires we need for our harness.

If I were you, I would definitely dump the PAC stuff on eBay and get this adapter!

@rdkl: Thanks for the feedback, I figured that was the case. I also tend to use the MFD quite often, especially when watching my fuel consumption.

@MGoBlueVDubDude: That module is definitely a much cleaner option, and from the sounds of things, it adds far more functionality/integration. Can you program buttons similar to the PAC modules, or is it pre-mapped to replicate the stock functions?

I think on mine I'll just stay with the Pac for now. I probably wouldn't use the right side functions often since I prefer having the mpg display up.

That and I don't know if I want to tear it all up again but if I had to do it over I'd probably look into the connect2 option. I may end up redoing mine at some point just to have all the functionality available.

I wish I knew about this earlier, maybe we can do a group buy to get these things into the US?

The fact that AM/FM seeks is most likely Pioneer's fault, since when you push left and right on the knob it also seeks rather than run through presets.

American International's faceplate was full of headaches and I can only imagine this one is nicer. My AI plate still doesn't sit perfectly flush and it doesn't seem there is anything I could do about it.

What piece are using to clip into the OEM harness?

e39m5