AVIC411.com

Android Powered AVIC?!?

You would still need some Navi software (and even with broadband Google Maps isn't exactly a solution) and I am not aware of too many Navi packages running on Linux. TomTom's PNAs use it but it is for their Linux and their hardware...

Just because the platform itself is open source does not mean that you can develop for it any easier than for WinCE (actually development for WinCE is easier) and all hardware drivers for AVIC and for WinCE anyway...

• 11 months later...
You would still need some Navi software (and even with broadband Google Maps isn't exactly a solution) and I am not aware of too many Navi packages running on Linux. TomTom's PNAs use it but it is for their Linux and their hardware...

Just because the platform itself is open source does not mean that you can develop for it any easier than for WinCE (actually development for WinCE is easier) and all hardware drivers for AVIC and for WinCE anyway...

How is Google Maps not exactly a solution? Check out the new Motorola Droid... it uses Google Maps Turn-By-Turn Navigation.

How is Google Maps not exactly a solution? Check out the new Motorola Droid... it uses Google Maps Turn-By-Turn Navigation.

It also assumes you've got a data connection at all times. If you don't have a cached source of data/images, it's less than useful.

Would love to port Android to our AVIC but like BorisM pointed out we don't yet have enough information about how the Navi board controls the other boards in the system (protocol to talk to AV uCOM ASIC to change audio/video sources and control volume, commands to get data from the MSNDirect chip, control the Parrot handsfree chip, etc). Just because you can boot the alternate OS doesn't mean it's useful without a large amount of effort to re-create the drivers and support libraries for the custom peripherals that were written and tested on the old OS.

• 2 months later...

You must be joking... You want to create a whole new firmware, forget about whichever OS you are going to run it on (Android, Linux, WM...). It looks almost impossible...well, if you work on it 10 hours/day during a year maybe, but I think it´d be better not to waste time on such a difficult project.

(PS: It´s my opinnion :) )