AVIC411.com

Radio and CD Title Info

It's sad that I have to post this in the HACK thread, and that it's not a built-in feature with this unit.

For CD's aside from MP3 tracks, and radio stations.. can we get the artist/song info to appear in the detail section? I don't see why this information isn't taken in as it is. I have many Audio CD's, and the details are not shown on screen.

CDDB

CDs dont have text files that label the artists, song titles, album title, etc. To make up for this oversight, there was a magical invention called CDDB that holds every commercially produced CD and all its data and has an interface for WMP, Winamp and others.

This database is pretty large.

It doesn't fit well onto your AVIC, not to mention that little problem of updating an already bloated database.

Kenwood was dumb enough to load it onto their DNX series though.

So all other players have this CDDB built in? That doesn't sound right, since other players don't have any internal storage. Usually the CDs do have information that it passed to the player, but it looks like typical Audio CDs don't pass the info, while MP3 CDs do?

I know it's not an issue with these CDs-- my old player used to display the tracks fine.

CDDB

CDs dont have text files that label the artists, song titles, album title, etc.

Huh? CD Text would beg to differ. Many, if not most, commercial CDs (and all discs released on a Sony label) are encoded with CD Text. All of my CDs are encoded with CD Text (since they're all backups of CDs ripped to iTunes, and iTunes has an "add CD Text" option), but the AVIC doesn't recognize the standardized information and format for audio CDs.

The OP is right. This is a shortcoming of the unit...as is the lack of RDS/RBDS (which would give you similar information for RDS/RBDS-equipped radio stations). Both of these should be standard equipment on a unit that retails for $1K+.

--Mav

CDDB

Huh? CD Text would beg to differ. Many, if not most, commercial CDs (and all discs released on a Sony label) are encoded with CD Text. All of my CDs are encoded with CD Text (since they're all backups of CDs ripped to iTunes, and iTunes has an "add CD Text" option), but the AVIC doesn't recognize the standardized information and format for audio CDs.

cd text isnt an official extension of the CD arcitecture and not universally supported. yeah, it exists but not everyone uses it.

yeah, would have been nice to see it anyway

CDDB

cd text isnt an official extension of the CD arcitecture and not universally supported. yeah, it exists but not everyone uses it.

yeah, would have been nice to see it anyway

True, but it's become the de facto standard for storing this information on Audio CDs (regardless of whether it's part of the official standard) and is widely used -- similar to RDS/RBDS (not universal, but certainly in widespread use). The fact that the AVIC doesn't take advantage of either of these is, imho, a decided shortcoming of the unit.

--Mav

The question is-- Is it possible to hack this unit so that it CAN pull that data from the CD? I'm sure it's there, but I haven't looked at this part of the code at all.

I dunno. My "hacking" abilities don't really extend beyond the limitations of the relatively-easy-to-modify-and-understand navi scripts. As I understand it, the a/v stuff is all handled by executables which are a darn-sight more complicated to manipulate. I haven't seen any hacks on here that address any of the A/V functions, so I'd suspect you'd be going into somewhat uncharted territory.

--Mav