AVIC411.com

Pioneer finally wants to listen!! Read this.

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this, when going through a tunnel, the car pointer stays in the same place once out of sky view on the map till you come out the other side of the tunnel, then it does a quick update. This means to me that there is no gyroscope in the headunit to keep the position correct while out of sky view. My OEM system from GM must have had a built in gyroscope cause it never froze up when going through the tunnels.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this, when going through a tunnel, the car pointer stays in the same place once out of sky view on the map till you come out the other side of the tunnel, then it does a quick update. This means to me that there is no gyroscope in the headunit to keep the position correct while out of sky view. My OEM system from GM must have had a built in gyroscope cause it never froze up when going through the tunnels.

That's correct, and that's what the VSS wire is for on the 9 series units.

I'm not much on doing the install type stuff, as I had it installed by a dealer, but I think this means the virtual speed detection. And I think your talking about the pink wire, which oddly enough is still in the box (it was the only one left over after they were done). However, one of the options on the map is letting you know the speed your traveling at, this works, so I'm not so sure they didn't use another wire or something else to hook that up. Unless the speed is being determined by the many satelites picking up my point of reference.

Please let me know if I'm mistaken, I'd like to go back to the dealer to have it wired correctly, but don't want to look foolish in doing so if they did something different.

Thanks,

Don

I'm not much on doing the install type stuff, as I had it installed by a dealer, but I think this means the virtual speed detection. And I think your talking about the pink wire, which oddly enough is still in the box (it was the only one left over after they were done). However, one of the options on the map is letting you know the speed your traveling at, this works, so I'm not so sure they didn't use another wire or something else to hook that up. Unless the speed is being determined by the many satelites picking up my point of reference.

Please let me know if I'm mistaken, I'd like to go back to the dealer to have it wired correctly, but don't want to look foolish in doing so if they did something different.

Thanks,

Don

The GPS antenna is used for determining your speed on the AVIC, the VSS is used for additional data to help precision, and for when a GPS signal is not available, i.e. in a tunnel, *exactly* the issue you're describing.

Thanks,

Don

I would take it back to them and tell them to install it like they should have done in the first place. The VSS wire is very handy if you live in an area with lots of tunnels, buildings, mountains, etc that would obscure sat signals. I personally didn't hook mine up because it's not really needed where I'm located.

thank you, now I plan on going back to the dealer to install the pink VS wire, and possibly have them install HID's while its in the shop :-), assuming they don't give me some bs excuse as to why it wasn't done in the first place.

Aftermarket HIDs are illegal to install in any country. It's for a good reason, too.

thank you, now I plan on going back to the dealer to install the pink VS wire, and possibly have them install HID's while its in the shop :-), assuming they don't give me some bs excuse as to why it wasn't done in the first place.

Aftermarket HIDs are illegal to install in any country. It's for a good reason, too.

Have a reference for this? And for what good reason? Sure a hack job install is bad, but if you actually do a retrofit and install them correctly then there is nothing wrong with hid's. In fact some of the non-hid bulbs some of the ricers use are way worse than even a bad hid install.

Have a reference for this? And for what good reason? Sure a hack job install is bad, but if you actually do a retrofit and install them correctly then there is nothing wrong with hid's. In fact some of the non-hid bulbs some of the ricers use are way worse than even a bad hid install.

Illegal or not, that didnt stop anyone on here from doing the bypass. Didn't stop me from disabling my day time running lights (so i can install hid). So what is your point here?

But he technically didn't say if he was installing a third-party retrofit, or an OEM HID... For all we know, a dealrship would just put in an OEM module...

Everyone just needs to realize that this is what most big corporations do. They release the product and support for the shortest time possible and as soon as sales start to drop they will discontinue it. It's costly to support things like this. Looks how ofter cellphones being released and how quickly the support them stops. Most don't even have any updates at all.

I'm not defending Pioneer nor any other corporation but that's just how it is.

You are right, I think this time it may have bitten Pioneer though. This unit should *still* be selling for over 1000 bucks - over 1200 for the Premier.

Instead you can get them for half that. Pioneer surely must feel that in its pocketbook.