AVIC411.com

Hi, I hope someone can help me out here.

Just installed the F90BT (2.0 firmware) in my 06 Subaru Impreza WRX, and did the hardwire mod to allow nav functions while driving, and grounded my parking brake wire. Everything works fine, with the exception of my radio.

When I first turn on the car, all I get is static on FM (if that's the last source I had on). This is for ALL channels on the FM band, with the occasional garbled talk/music from particularly strong stations. In order for me to get FM working, I have to switch my source from FM to AM, then back. Sometimes I have to do this multiple times. The same is true if I'm trying to listen to AM. Once I get reception, both AM and FM works.

All other sources work fine. Previously, I had an AVIC-N1 installed, and had no issues with radio reception. I even disconnected the F90BT and plugged in the stock radio to make sure everything was fine, which it was.

I have all wires crimped using butt connectors and a crimping tool. I don't believe that the connectors are an issue, because I never have a problem once i GET the radio working, only when I first start the car.

I also changed the setting for the power antenna within the F90BT. No joy there either.

I suspect that for whatever reason, the headunit is not supplying power to the antenna amp initially. Than when I switch sources from FM to AM and back, it finally supplies juice to it. I don't have a voltmeter, but perhaps will go pick one up to see if what I suspect is true. I've also left it on FM for 10 minutes, without it picking up reception.

I have the solid blue wire connected to the "power antenna" lead for the harness, and the blue/white wire connected to my amp lead-in. Should I connect the power antenna wire to the blue/white instead? Or maybe to the ACC wire?

Any help would be appreciated.

-James

Hi, I hope someone can help me out here.

Just installed the F90BT (2.0 firmware) in my 06 Subaru Impreza WRX, and did the hardwire mod to allow nav functions while driving, and grounded my parking brake wire. Everything works fine, with the exception of my radio.

When I first turn on the car, all I get is static on FM (if that's the last source I had on). This is for ALL channels on the FM band, with the occasional garbled talk/music from particularly strong stations. In order for me to get FM working, I have to switch my source from FM to AM, then back. Sometimes I have to do this multiple times. The same is true if I'm trying to listen to AM. Once I get reception, both AM and FM works.

All other sources work fine. Previously, I had an AVIC-N1 installed, and had no issues with radio reception. I even disconnected the F90BT and plugged in the stock radio to make sure everything was fine, which it was.

I have all wires crimped using butt connectors and a crimping tool. I don't believe that the connectors are an issue, because I never have a problem once i GET the radio working, only when I first start the car.

I also changed the setting for the power antenna within the F90BT. No joy there either.

I suspect that for whatever reason, the headunit is not supplying power to the antenna amp initially. Than when I switch sources from FM to AM and back, it finally supplies juice to it. I don't have a voltmeter, but perhaps will go pick one up to see if what I suspect is true. I've also left it on FM for 10 minutes, without it picking up reception.

I have the solid blue wire connected to the "power antenna" lead for the harness, and the blue/white wire connected to my amp lead-in. Should I connect the power antenna wire to the blue/white instead? Or maybe to the ACC wire?

Any help would be appreciated.

-James

you definitely should pick up a voltmeter

in the meantime; your antenna harnass has a blue wire coming off it; that goes to the AVIC wire labeled "antenna control"

you can use your tounge instead of a voltmeter ;)

it could be the case that your antenna amp may be pulling too much current through the unit. if that is the case, you can try moving the antenna harnass's blue wire to either the accessory wire or the wire labeled "system remote control"

If it killed the antenna control wire though, it will probably kill system remote control. voltmeter!

Well, looks like the unit is defective. Along with the AM/FM issue, now the VR button freezes the unit, and mutes all sound. Takes a reset or a power cycle to get music back.

Called Pioneer, talked to their customer service, and they recommended exchanging the unit.

Hopefully the next unit will be in working order!

Another funny thing...MSN Direct works fine. It pulls down update information for gas, weather, traffic, and movie times. That also comes through the antenna as well, right? If I go to the MSN Direct screen, it shows full antenna strength.

You didn't buy the HD tuner did you?

• 3 weeks later...

I had my f90BT installed yesterday by a circuit city installer who does "cash only, bypass ready" in the bay. He seems knowledgeable and it was cheaper, so I threw the dice.

All seemed well, but in fact the FM/AM/MSN functions will not work, and the bypass does not seem to be complete either. I do, in fact, get the parking brake ground warning upon startup. I just don't get the bypass.

Would this mean perhaps he did ground the wire, but forgot about the harness (making it a candidate for the software bypass) and I wonder if it's about time to slide the unit out of the dash to see if he just plain forgot to plug in the antennae. Yesterday was a HORRIBLE day for CCity employees, with the news of shutdown and all. geez...

I had my f90BT installed yesterday by a circuit city installer who does "cash only, bypass ready" in the bay. He seems knowledgeable and it was cheaper, so I threw the dice.

All seemed well, but in fact the FM/AM/MSN functions will not work, and the bypass does not seem to be complete either. I do, in fact, get the parking brake ground warning upon startup. I just don't get the bypass.

Would this mean perhaps he did ground the wire, but forgot about the harness (making it a candidate for the software bypass) and I wonder if it's about time to slide the unit out of the dash to see if he just plain forgot to plug in the antennae. Yesterday was a HORRIBLE day for CCity employees, with the news of shutdown and all. geez...

He did the bypass incorrectly, bottom line. Your Avic wont even power up without the antenna plugged in. You can do the bypass yourself, there are plenty of people and pictures here to help you.

Believe me, I just returned from BestBuy with my SD card and reader, and backed up the whole "my flash" folder on the AVIC. It has begun!

I really hope he just grounded the parking wire and forgot the other pin change. That would explain the warning and the lack of bypass, although it may mean he moved the wrong wire (and killed my AM/FM)????

crap. Time to pull it out of the dash. I had hoped to avoid this.

I've been reading around, trying to answer my own questions with the wealth of knowledge on the site (and the generous sharing of the "elders") but I've still been hung up on one STUPID thing.

I have OS X. No "notepad". I tried zipeg to view/explore without unextracting, but cannot see anything inside of the files when I click them.

This is what I see:

[/img]

SafariScreenSnapz002.pdf