AVIC411.com

Your Avic wont even power up without the antenna plugged in.

That is bull. The unit will power up without the AM/FM antenna connected, you just won't receive any AM or FM or MSN.

I bench tested mine a good bit without the antenna connected. Where do you get this misinformation?

That is bull. The unit will power up without the AM/FM antenna connected, you just won't receive any AM or FM or MSN.

I bench tested mine a good bit without the antenna connected. Where do you get this misinformation?

That is what happened when I did not plug in the antenna. I installed the unit and forgot to plug in the antenna and got no power. How is that bull, especially when I did it? Are you telling me that was a figment of my imagination? :shock: Yep, misinformation.... :wink:

That is what happened when I did not plug in the antenna. I installed the unit and forgot to plug in the antenna and got no power. How is that bull, especially when I did it? Are you telling me that was a figment of my imagination? :shock: Yep, misinformation.... :wink:

There is only one good explanation. You have done the install wrong. You do not have your black power ground wire connected to a good ground on the car. When you plug the antenna in, the whole unit grounds itself through the ground shield of the antenna. The antenna ground is not meant to carry power current. You need to go back and fix your install. When you correctly ground the black wire, then you will find that your AVIC does power up without the antenna connected.

There is only one good explanation. You have done the install wrong. You do not have your black power ground wire connected to a good ground on the car. When you plug the antenna in, the whole unit grounds itself through the ground shield of the antenna. The antenna ground is not meant to carry power current. You need to go back and fix your install. When you correctly ground the black wire, then you will find that your AVIC does power up without the antenna connected.

Umm, my unit is working fine. Grounded with the mute wire mod and all. If it wasn't grounded, that mod wouldn't work. I do get crappy AM reception though. You think it could be a ground issue? If the unit works properly then I believe it is safe to say it is grounded. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I didn't say your bypass mods wouldn't work. I said (and say) that you don't have your power ground connected correctly. If you have the parking break and bypass wires connected to the black power ground, then they are only being grounded because of the antenna wire supplying a ground to radio, the radio in-turn supplies this ground to the black wire and the bypasses.

I would expect that you would have AM reception issues, your power ground is traveling through your antenna lead. Where did you connect your black wire? Where ever that is, it is wrong. Do you have a voltmeter you can test with.

Still don't believe me? Here's an experiment for you. Pull out the antenna lead. Touch the outside metal of the antenna connector to a bare part of the black wire. With the key on, your AVIC can now power up.

You need to fix this before you burn out your antenna lead and cause a fire.

I didn't say your bypass mods wouldn't work. I said (and say) that you don't have your power ground connected correctly. If you have the parking break and bypass wires connected to the black power ground, then they are only being grounded because of the antenna wire supplying a ground to radio, the radio in-turn supplies this ground to the black wire and the bypasses.

I would expect that you would have AM reception issues, your power ground is traveling through your antenna lead. Where did you connect your black wire? Where ever that is, it is wrong. Do you have a voltmeter you can test with.

Still don't believe me? Here's an experiment for you. Pull out the antenna lead. Touch the outside metal of the antenna connector to a bare part of the black wire. With the key on, your AVIC can now power up.

You need to fix this before you burn out your antenna lead and cause a fire.

It (gtound) is connected to the vehicle chassis via the wiring harness. I will do what you advise and see if that helps.