AVIC411.com

For it to dim, you need to find your car's ILL wire. Or at the very least, find a wire which goed to 12v when you turn on the headlights... I suppose if worse comes to worse, you can tap off the positive lead to the tail lights.

As for the chime, I have heard vehicles like yours need some adapter for the chime:
[url=http://www.crutchfield.com/S-h8lPzMQ9QqJ/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=120GMOS04]http://www.crutchfield.com/S-h8lPzMQ9Qq ... =120GMOS04[/url]
sorry to hijack a thread, but a stupid question. I definitely do not have the ILL wire hooked up on my N3, but if i go under an underpass or through a tunnel, the lcd does dim and gets brighter as I reemerge from the momentary darkness (without my headlights going on). Does the N3 have some sort of sensor for this as well? It's very strange but cool for when I drive through the tunnels into/out of Manattan :)
A friend of mine has a Silverado with the Z1, and his installer told him that the ILL wire cannot be hooked up, as the dimmer for the factory headunit ran off of a CAN Bus system, meaning that it is computer controlled. The AVIC I put in my '07 Sport Trac ILL wire did not work either. I overcame it by tapping into the light under the center console where the shifter is at. I tapped into the light that illuminates the PRND12 on the shifter. Comes on when the auto headlamps come on and off when they go off. Works good.
My installer set it up so that I can dim the screen using the dimmer switch for the inside lights of my TBSS. It works kind of. I seems to dm a bit as i turn the knob. However, the thing that is neat is that the screen reverses colors when I dim it all the way down. ie white goes black. So then the screen is mostly black, with the roads being colored lines etc. Kind of looks like a negative image.

Anyone else done this?
Cool! Thanks alot guys. I'll make sure I'll relay this to my installer. I would LOVE to do this myself. But I just have this luck I'll screw it up. And with me just getting the truck (wednesday), I dont wanna mess with those wires. But basically the best way is to hook it up on the taillights?
[quote name="Tahde"]But basically the best way is to hook it up on the taillights?[/quote]

There is probably a wire in your dash, behind the headlight switch or somewhere in the car that would work. You want 12V when the lights are on and 0v when they are off. I figured that worse comes to worse, you can tap off the tail light bulbs. Most poeple know where they are :) But there is a wire in your car behind the dash somewhere which would work, but I don't know where it is. A good installer will either know or know how to find it.
[quote name="ducatiboy"] [quote name="Tahde"]But basically the best way is to hook it up on the taillights?[/quote]

There is probably a wire in your dash, behind the headlight switch or somewhere in the car that would work. You want 12V when the lights are on and 0v when they are off. I figured that worse comes to worse, you can tap off the tail light bulbs. Most poeple know where they are :) But there is a wire in your car behind the dash somewhere which would work, but I don't know where it is. A good installer will either know or know how to find it.[/quote]

Ok, great. May be a dumb question. But I see that you have a couple mods out for this HU. Do you have one for this problem that I have?
[quote name="ducatiboy"] [quote name="Tahde"]But basically the best way is to hook it up on the taillights?[/quote]

There is probably a wire in your dash, behind the headlight switch or somewhere in the car that would work. You want 12V when the lights are on and 0v when they are off. I figured that worse comes to worse, you can tap off the tail light bulbs. Most poeple know where they are :) But there is a wire in your car behind the dash somewhere which would work, but I don't know where it is. A good installer will either know or know how to find it.[/quote]

The only problem is, there are quite a few that won't make the extra effort to run that wire if it's not right behind the radio. I can admit I've done that in the past when I've been pressed for time.
i have an 04 silverado and i had an illumination issue at first too. You can check out the thread here
[url=http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1964]http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1964[/url]

the illumination wire is behind the headlight switch. its very aeasy to get to and very easy to tap. you can see the pics on my link. i got alot of help from alot of people on this forum so i hope i can help you now. Thats what makes this forum such a great tool. If you have any other question feel free to ask.
[quote name="silveradojeff"]i have an 04 silverado and i had an illumination issue at first too. You can check out the thread here
[url=http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1964]http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1964[/url]

the illumination wire is behind the headlight switch. its very aeasy to get to and very easy to tap. you can see the pics on my link. i got alot of help from alot of people on this forum so i hope i can help you now. Thats what makes this forum such a great tool. If you have any other question feel free to ask.[/quote]

My goodness! Thanks so much! And again, thanks to all of you for your intel. I want to go outside right now and fix this. But I just dont have the courage. lol. I"m going to have my installer tap into that reverse wire as well. Its kinda funny, but my camera comes on when its in drive. Doesnt come on at all when its in reverse unless I manually do it. So when I talk to him tmw, I can tell him exactly what to do now.