AVIC411.com

Running Z1 on Car Battery for How Long?

well stock batteries are good enough to hold z1 playing for solid 4-6 hours without a problem. (maybe even more, but it depends on the set-up you are running)

I recommend going with yellow top Optima battery if you really need the juice. I have about 1600w of power consumption (speakers/sub), and the optima does its job wonderfully.

Also the main misconception about car batteries, your car alternator is not designed to charge the battery but only to maintain it, so dont go crazy draining the battery (unless u have an optima)

Overall, enjoy the z1 :)
The Z1 draws about 1.5 amps when it's running, maybe up in the 2 amp range-ish.

[quote name="teknoking"]I have about 1600w of power consumption (speakers/sub), and the optima does its job wonderfully.[/quote]

1600w of power consumption? Your stereo draws over 100 amps? Are you sure?

Or do you mean that your amps and all say x# of watts and you are just adding them up? Those are always a little "ambitious" of measurements.

The Z1 all by itself is in the 30w range maxed out.

Either way, I wouldn't run the Z1 off battery only for too long. I did for about 6 hours and it drained my new battery down so low it wouldn't start the truck anymore.
I have a custom 8 speakers system with 2 12" eclipse subwoofers...ranging about 400RMS.

And again I suggest race & show proven Optima Yellow Top...these babies are amazing.

[quote name="ducatiboy"]The Z1 draws about 1.5 amps when it's running, maybe up in the 2 amp range-ish.

[quote name="teknoking"]I have about 1600w of power consumption (speakers/sub), and the optima does its job wonderfully.[/quote]

1600w of power consumption? Your stereo draws over 100 amps? Are you sure?

Or do you mean that your amps and all say x# of watts and you are just adding them up? Those are always a little "ambitious" of measurements.

The Z1 all by itself is in the 30w range maxed out.

Either way, I wouldn't run the Z1 off battery only for too long. I did for about 6 hours and it drained my new battery down so low it wouldn't start the truck anymore.[/quote]
[quote name="teknoking"]I have a custom 8 speakers system with 2 12" eclipse subwoofers...ranging about 400RMS.

And again I suggest race & show proven Optima Yellow Top...these babies are amazing.
[/quote]

Sounds like a hot system, but I looked up the specs on those batteries, and the best battery they have is 55ah. Which is pretty good. I don't think those are bad batteries. They are probably very nice.

But, with a 12.5 volt system 1600 w is 128 amps. Which means that if you turned your car on (but did not start the engine), and played your music, your battery would last less than 1/2 hour. Is that true? If so... wow, that is a lot of juice.

My guess is that is those numbers on that equipment is max possible output and usually those are a little ambitious. Just my own opinion. Maybe your car's yellow top battery does only last 20 minutes playing your stereo.... if so... wow, pretty cool!
I never run the battery hard without the engine running, I have special pulleys and a bigger alternator to provide the juice...and yeah, you are right, I would of never maxed out...that will be unbearable and unreasonable....the numbers I gave was for figurative speaking, as yes, it is possible.... so you can stop now :)

But I do have a nice system....plus my whole car is dynamatted so its sounds sweet.

Since you are the genius of Navis, quick questions, I really need the ATT or Mute button...reason is not for me, but for the cops....looking for a play/pause on the screen is not fast enough....so its holding the AV button...installing that hardwired steering wheel remote, do i have to take my airbag out to properly install it?

Thanks for your input! :)
[quote name="teknoking"]I never run the battery hard without the engine running, I have special pulleys and a bigger alternator to provide the juice...and yeah, you are right, I would of never maxed out...that will be unbearable and unreasonable....the numbers I gave was for figurative speaking, as yes, it is possible.... so you can stop now :)[/quote]

Sorry. :) I saw 1600w of power consumption and unless your wire gages were 00 if it really drew that kind of power, it would melt your wires. I think the power wires would need to be 1/2 inch to 1 inch thick. I did some quick math and couldn't believe the numbers. Sorry, I'll turn off my brian and stop doing math :D

[quote name="teknoking"]Since you are the genius of Navis, quick questions, I really need the ATT or Mute button...reason is not for me, but for the cops....looking for a play/pause on the screen is not fast enough....so its holding the AV button...installing that hardwired steering wheel remote, do i have to take my airbag out to properly install it?

Thanks for your input! :)[/quote]

As for this, I don't know. I would guess not. Many people have installed these and I would be willing to bet no one took out their airbag. I haven't done one personally, but it goes to the outside ring of the steering wheel not the center.
[quote name="ducatiboy"]ebay is only as safe as the specific person you order from. It's hit or miss. I have had excellent luck on ebay over the years (my account dates back to 1999).[/quote]

Sounds good, I'll go with ebay. I apologize for bugging you, but will it be possible for you to take a few photos of the steering wheel control installed? Im just curious how a wired remote holds up on the steering wheel.

Have a good night and a pleasant day tomorrow Sir Ducatiboy.

Bye bye.
I don't have one, but I think this is one of the steeringwheel remotes:
[url=http://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/PIONEER_SR90_STEERING_WHEEL_REMOTE_AVMP_p_600.html]http://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/PIONE ... p_600.html[/url]
You put that band to the left around a steering wheel.

Someone here might have posted a pic of their setup with one, but I don't remember where.