AVIC411.com

iPod Video and AVIC-D2 Questions

First post here - great forum by the way.

I've been looking at a Z1 or a D2 for a while now and am going to order one or the other tomorrow. I really want the Z1 but the price difference is killing me (free install on the D2, free S1, etc).

Does anyone know if the D2 will play video from an auxilliary source while using the Navigation? In other words, can I hook up my iPod Video to the D2 using the Aux inputs and watch the video on the screen while using the nav functions?

I'm assuming from everything I've read that the D2 does not play DVD's...is this correct?

Thanks for any help!
First, the free install on the D2 ended like three weeks ago. The D2 does not play dvds but the navigation will still function while on the A/V source. You will not be able to see video from your ipod unless you bypass it

[quote name="DogTaco"]First post here - great forum by the way.

I've been looking at a Z1 or a D2 for a while now and am going to order one or the other tomorrow. I really want the Z1 but the price difference is killing me (free install on the D2, free S1, etc).

Does anyone know if the D2 will play video from an auxilliary source while using the Navigation? In other words, can I hook up my iPod Video to the D2 using the Aux inputs and watch the video on the screen while using the nav functions?

I'm assuming from everything I've read that the D2 does not play DVD's...is this correct?

Thanks for any help!

Steve[/quote]
yes...I have a D2 with the new Ipod video 30GB...just buy the ipod video cable and plug it into the A/V input on the back of the D2. the control will be on the ipod.

If you dont need the video. You can use the pioneer IBD100. This would put the control of the ipod on the D2 screen..but no video...just audio only. But at least it does charge the ipod. The pioneer ipod interface sucks...i would not waste the money.
Thanks for the replies. I just checked out the Pioneer site and saw that the promo did indeed end on 9/4...sucks. I've pretty much settled on the D2 at this point.

wratran - couple questions for you if you don't mind...

* How is the quality when watching video off the iPod. I believe the iPod's highest resolution is 640x480 with 30 frames/second. Is the video clear and smooth?

* Using the video cable from the iPod to the aux inputs, can you listen to music off the iPod and still see the nav display (since there's a video feed off the iPod as well - does it default to a blank screen from the iPod)? Or is the nav display off anytime you use the iPod (not just when playing video)?

My plan is to do what you've done and then simply get a wired cigarette-lighter charger for the iPod. This solves all issues and gets me a 20-disc DVD changer in the form of an iPod for half the price of the Pioneer 6-disc changer...assuming it works as above.

Thanks for all the input!
1. resolution is OK...the actual resolution is 320x240...so when you enlarged it to a 6.5"...it does get pixelated...but not too bad....live-able

2. if you are using the video cable from ipod...you can still listen to the sound...and switch the nav screen to map mode...sound still work. In fact, that what i use everyday. I hate the pioneer ipod interface. The wheel on the ipod is so much quicker to search.

I dont use the ipod video that much. I have a 6 disc DVD changer.
Excellent info...thanks for the quick reply wratran.

I just placed the order for (2) D2's...one for me and one for my parents. I think the feature set on this unit is more in line with what we'll actually use.

How do you like the DVD changer by the way? Depending on what I find from the iPod Video - I might end up installing that as well.

Thanks again.
I bought this. It charges and sends audio and video. Seemed like a good solution withg the pioneer unit beign so slow.

[url=http://cgi.ebay.com/5G-Video-iPod-Pioneer-AVIC-N1-AVIC-N2-AVIC-N3-AVH-P7500_W0QQitemZ200030071149QQihZ010QQcategoryZ58350QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]http://cgi.ebay.com/5G-Video-iPod-Pione ... dZViewItem[/url]
[quote name="quest"]I bought this. It charges and sends audio and video. Seemed like a good solution withg the pioneer unit beign so slow.

[url=http://cgi.ebay.com/5G-Video-iPod-Pioneer-AVIC-N1-AVIC-N2-AVIC-N3-AVH-P7500_W0QQitemZ200030071149QQihZ010QQcategoryZ58350QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]http://cgi.ebay.com/5G-Video-iPod-Pione ... dZViewItem[/url][/quote]

That seems like a great solution - I wonder how it charges from the RCA jacks?

Have you received it yet? I'm curious to know how it performs!
[quote name="wratran"]1. resolution is OK...the actual resolution is 320x240...so when you enlarged it to a 6.5"...it does get pixelated...but not too bad....live-able

2. if you are using the video cable from ipod...you can still listen to the sound...and switch the nav screen to map mode...sound still work. In fact, that what i use everyday. I hate the pioneer ipod interface. The wheel on the ipod is so much quicker to search.

I dont use the ipod video that much. I have a 6 disc DVD changer.[/quote]

Hi.

When hooking up the ipod video to the D2, does the video screen duplicate everything you see on the ipod screen? In other words, when I scroll through the ipod, will the scroll screen also show on the D2?

Thanks.
I have it, but havent had the chance to hook it up as of yet. It has a
power and ground wire as well so it charges the ipod while plugged in.

[quote name="DogTaco"] [quote name="quest"]I bought this. It charges and sends audio and video. Seemed like a good solution withg the pioneer unit beign so slow.

[url=http://cgi.ebay.com/5G-Video-iPod-Pioneer-AVIC-N1-AVIC-N2-AVIC-N3-AVH-P7500_W0QQitemZ200030071149QQihZ010QQcategoryZ58350QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]http://cgi.ebay.com/5G-Video-iPod-Pione ... dZViewItem[/url][/quote]

That seems like a great solution - I wonder how it charges from the RCA jacks?

Have you received it yet? I'm curious to know how it performs![/quote]
Thanks for all the info - this is good stuff.

I assume there wouldn't be a problem using this adapter with a 3G or 4G iPod (i.e. without video)? I'm going to pick one of those up off eBay.

I ordered the D2 with Sirius just the other day. I'm going to get this cable from eBay...anything else I should order to be ready for install?
  • 2 weeks later...
Quick update here...

Finally got the D2 installed last week along with the Sirius tuner and the iPod interface cable mentioned above in this thread (this one [url=http://cgi.ebay.com/5G-Video-iPod-Pioneer-AVIC-D1-AVIC-D2-AVIC-Z1-AVH-P7800_W0QQitemZ200035631178QQihZ010QQcategoryZ58350QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]http://cgi.ebay.com/5G-Video-iPod-Pione ... dZViewItem[/url]).

I just posted a brief review of the Sirius tuner (not overly impressed) but wanted to give some feedback on the iPod video cable as well. First of all, Tommy at MBTech was AWESOME to work with and comes VERY highly recommended. I had a bit of a time crunch with the install and contacted Tommy 2 days before I needed the cable. He was very responsive and worked with me to have this thing out to me the following day by next-day service and it arrived about 2 hours before leaving to the shop - excellent service from an eBay merchant.

The tech that installed my system (Newport CA) did an EXCELLENT job as well (PM me if you need an installer and I'll give you his contact info) and he knew exactly what to do with this cable. The results? Better than I had anticipated. The cable is great - very high quality and looks like a genuine iPod accessory. The iPod charges while in use and the video feed is excellent. I don't have the iPod Video yet but I did test this with my 60GB iPod photo and it's PERFECT. It's a bit odd to be watching a photo-slideshow to music while in your [i]car[/i]. I can't wait to get my hands on an 80 GB iPod Video and start the car-movie collection.

For anyone looking for a charging iPod alternative to the Pioneer accessory - definitely give this a look. You can't actually control the iPod through the deck but the photo, video, and charging features are a great convenience.