AVIC411.com

AVIC F700BT poor performance in Winter.

I installed it in Nov '08 and it worked fine with firmware 2.0 installed.

Then in Dec '08 when the snow came and sub zero temperations the AVIC became sluggish with slower boot up and the touch screen is not as responsive. I have to touch it several times to get it to work.

The Maps on the GPS would randomly freeze and I have to tap on the MAP button to unfreeze it.

I normally set the GPS to display in 3D mode but at random the display would switch to 2D by itself and I have to click on the 3D to revert back. This happens many time on a single trip.

Also most times when I reached my destination the AVIC does not cancel the trip and kept going even after it had announced that "you have reached your destination". This is very annoying as I have to then manually cancell the trip.

By comparision my Garmin nuvi 760 works flawlessly as well as my OEM Navi on my Honda Accord.

Had I known that the AVIC is not up to par with the others I would not have bought it.

As such I am quite disappointed with it.

I should have chosen the Kenwood unit which comes with a Garmin GPS.

I hope that the above flaws can be corrected with another firmware update.

remove your screen protector and let me know how many of your problems go away

AFAIK, there is no screen protector on the AVIC is there?

I did not paste any add-on protector and yet the touch screen does not respond without tapping twice or more.

Remember it was working great just a month ago when it was well above freezing.

I wonder if I reset it back to factory settings will it work?

Guess I should try it tomorrow.

BTW, my Suzuki GV is stored in my garage and not left out in the cold at night so I don't understand why the performance has degraded so much.

remove your screen protector and let me know how many of your problems go away

I assumed you had a aftermarket screen protector installed that may cause your problem but I would send it back for warranty service. sounds like your unit is failing. I have had my f90 parked outside in 10 degree weather for a few days and touchscreen works fine

The Maps on the GPS would randomly freeze and I have to tap on the MAP button to unfreeze it.

Could it just be that you at some point touched your screen. This freezes the display and places a red marker at the place you touched.

I normally set the GPS to display in 3D mode but at random the display would switch to 2D by itself and I have to click on the 3D to revert back. This happens many time on a single trip.

This is normal behavior, its not random. The map switches to 2D when you have a set distance to the next turn. It will switch back to 3D when you reach the set distance. (This is settable in the gps settings, I think the default is 2 miles). I had thought this was a bug as well until I understood why it was switching.

Also most times when I reached my destination the AVIC does not cancel the trip and kept going even after it had announced that "you have reached your destination". This is very annoying as I have to then manually cancell the trip.

This happens with my system as well. It got better with 2.0, but still occasionally happens. Having the hack where you can cancel the route right from the map is useful.

My F700BT has been behaving terribly the last few days, here in chilly MN. My buttons all work, but the touchscreen doesn't respond hardly at all right now. I've no idea what's going on with it. :( Sometimes I'll hit the reverse track button on the iPod playlist, and it thinks I'm holding it down and starts reversing through the track.

Anyone got any ideas?